The Spanish major and Spanish minor gives you the opportunity to develop language proficiency while expanding your knowledge of Hispanic cultures and literature. Many Spanish majors and minors combine their studies with fields such as political science (pre-law), pre-med, American culture, organizational studies, communications, psychology, and economics.

Why Study Spanish?

  • Over 300 million people speak Spanish worldwide, making it one of the largest markets for businesses and one of the most useful languages in the world for travel.
  • Close to 30 million people living in the U.S. are Hispanic, and soon one out of every six people living in the U.S. will be Hispanic. In the past, learning Spanish used to be a way to open doors, but soon it will be a necessity.
  • Employers are seeking applicants who can speak Spanish in nearly every profession (medical, government, legal, journalism, finance, education, sales, etc.).
  • A large body of literary work is written in Spanish and Spanish-language films continue to receive praise from the film industry and viewers. At last count, there were more than 16,000 Spanish publications, 250 Spanish TV stations and 5,100 Spanish radio stations.
  • Learning Spanish can help you learn the other Latin-based languages such as French and Italian. These languages all have Indo-European roots and share some characteristics (such as gender and extensive conjugation) that are present in Spanish but not English.
  • Because of its Latin roots, nearly identical alphabet and pronunciation rules, Spanish is one of the easiest languages for an English speaker to learn.
  • Knowing Spanish can make your travel experiences more enjoyable. It is estimated that U.S. citizens spend more travel time in Spanish-speaking countries than in any other foreign countries (excluding English-speaking countries).
  • Spanish is the official language in 21 countries and an official language in the European Union, UNESCO, GATT and many other international organizations.


Major Requirements

A major in Spanish allows students considerable flexibility in developing a program of study leading to competence in the language and a basic knowledge of Hispanic cultures and literatures. All students should consult with a RLL advisor to develop a program of study that best corresponds to their interests and career plans.

LSA Spanish Major Requirements

Spanish Cognates & Additional Course Options

Spanish Major Worksheet

Minor Requirements

If you are majoring in another field, the Spanish Language, Literature, and Culture minor offers you an opportunity to complement the knowledge gained in your principal field, while adding a cultural and linguistic dimension to your academic experience.

Spanish Language, Literature, and Culture Minor Requirements

Spanish Literature Courses - Winter, Spring, and Summer 2015

Spanish Literature Course List

Additional Course Options

Spanish Minor Worksheet

Course Information

Course Offerings

For a complete, at-a-glance list of all Spanish courses offered in any given semester, see the Undergraduate Course Catalog. For information on currently offered Spanish courses, visit the LSA Course Guide.

Independent Studies


RLL course information and highlighted courses

Areas of Specialization - A Guide

Non-UM Study Abroad and Domestic Transfer Credit

Review and follow this checklist which outlines the approval process for non-UM study abroad and domestic transfer credit.

Please note: students are required to have coursework pre-evaluated by an RLL faculty advisor prior to enrolling or going abroad; syllabi and specific course descriptions are needed. A final evaluation of coursework is required upon completion of the course or upon return from abroad. Specific courses and credits must appear on the transcript; syllabi and completed coursework are needed.

Credits earned for online courses are not accepted toward the Spanish major or minor. 

For information regarding earning credit for UM/CGIS study abroad programs, please reference the RLL Study Abroad page.

Teaching Certificate

Students interested in completing teaching certificates may either apply to the School of Education, as a cross-campus transfer or remain in LSA and apply to the School of Education just for certification. In the first case, the School of Education will grant the degree, and in the second, the student will receive the degree from LSA. For more information, visit the School of Education's website.