Grade needed to advance

If you are enrolled in any courses at the elementary level in French, Italian, or Spanish (course numbers 101-232, + French 235), you must earn a grade of C- or better in the prerequisite course to proceed on to the subsequent course. Courses 101-231 may be taken pass/fail, but if you are an LSA student, you must take Course 232 for a letter grade to meet the language requirement.

If you earn a failing grade (D+ or lower), you must re-take the course. An exception to this rule may only be granted by the course coordinator. In order to request permission to enroll in and receive credit for the subsequent course, you must provide the department with sufficient justification. The coordinator will meet with your instructor to determine whether the request will be honored or not.

If you receive permission to enroll in the subsequent course, you will be doing so at your own risk. It is expected that you will make your own arrangements for tutoring and outside help, and that you will keep the instructor informed of any problems that may prevent completion of the course.

Under some circumstances, you will be required to pass the first exam with a B or better, and to have completed all the work to date with a passing grade. Failure to do so will mean that you must return to the previous level to complete the requirement.

Questions? Contact the Undergraduate Assistant.