RLL offers several scholarships specifically for study abroad. Being a student at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor is a requirement for all.
With regrets, RLL cannot consider students already studying abroad.
In addition, each scholarship has its own additional requirements. Please read the description of each scholarship to be certain you qualify to apply.
Questions? Please contact Linda Burger, email@example.com.
Vincenti Scholarships are open to declared majors in French, Italian, Romance Languages & Literatures, and Spanish at UM. Applications are accepted twice a year. These scholarships are specifically for fall semester, winter semester or academic year UM study abroad programs, excluding spring and summer programs. Vincenti Scholarships are awarded before a student begins their study abroad program. Students already studying abroad will not be considered. To apply, complete the Vincenti Study Abroad Scholarship Application (PDF).
The Canzano Study Abroad Scholarship is open to students studying Italian and/or Spanish in the Department of Romance Languages and Literatures (RLL) at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. This scholarship is awarded based on academic achievements, strength of application, and financial need. This scholarship may be used for a summer term study abroad program only. Students do not have to be declared as a major or minor in RLL to receive this scholarship, however preference will be given to students planning to study in Spain, Argentina, and Italy, as stated in the endowment regulations. To apply, students must complete the Canzano Study Abroad Scholarship Application (PDF).
The Chiara Maria Levin Study Abroad Scholarship for Excellence in the Romance Languages at UM is open to declared majors and minors in RLL who are planning to study abroad in summer and have been accepted to a summer UM study abroad program. To apply students must complete the Chiara Maria Levin Summer Study Abroad Scholarship Application (PDF).
The Ernst Pulgram Italian Study Abroad Scholarship is open to students studying Italian at UM and may be used for a fall or summer term study abroad program, as well as for an academic year. Students do not have be declared as a major or minor in Italian to receive this scholarship. To apply, students must complete the Ernst Pulgram Italian Study Abroad Scholarship (PDF).
The RLL Study Abroad Scholarship in French is open to declared majors and minors in French or Romance Languages & Literatures at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor to assist with the costs of studying abroad in France or a Francophone country. This scholarship may be used for a fall term, academic year, or summer term abroad. All awards are made before a student begins his or her study abroad program. To apply, students must complete the RLL Study Abroad Scholarship in French (PDF).
The Vincenti Summer Study Abroad Scholarships are open to declared majors in French, Italian, Romance Languages & Literatures, and Spanish at UM. These scholarships are specifically for spring or summer UM study abroad programs. Vincenti Summer Study Abroad Scholarships are awarded before a student begins their study abroad program. Students already studying abroad will not be considered. To apply, complete the Vincenti Summer Study Abroad Scholarship (PDF).
- UM Global MichiganFind details about study abroad programs, research and internship opportunities.
- The College of Literature, Sciences, and the Arts (LSA)Maintains web pages filled with information for students interested in study abroad.
- Global Intercultural Experience for Undergraduates Program (GIEU)The GIEU Program sends small groups of U-M students for 3-4 week spring/summer learning experiences directed by U-M faculty members.
- The International Center (IC)Located in on 603 E. Madison next to the Michigan Union, the IC provides students with information on study abroad, international internships, including information ways to finance an international experience.
- The International Institute (II)Located 1080 South University,Suite 2660 in the School of Social Work Building.
- Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS)Located in room G155 Angell Hall, CGIS was created to provide a wide variety of global engagement and learning opportunities to the University of Michigan community.
RLL offers the RLL Summer Volunteering Grant to declared majors in a Romance language(s) at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor who have accepted a volunteering position for summer in which their Romance language skills will be used extensively. The student must be declared at least one year prior to applying for this stipend. This is a one-time $500 grant and cannot be used for a study abroad program or internship. The award will only be made before a student begins their volunteering experience. The grant is awarded to students based on their academic achievements, the nature of their volunteering position, their history of proven volunteerism and commitment to volunteerism, and strength of their application. Students graduating before or during the time of their volunteering project are not eligible for this grant.
If a student is awarded a grant, upon acceptance the student is required to sign and return their award letter and to write a 1-2 page summary of their experience after the duration of their volunteering project has ended.
To apply students must
- complete the RLL Summer Volunteering Grant Application
and send with it:
- copy of transcript (unofficial is fine)
- resume which includes detailed volunteer history
- proof of volunteering position for which student is applying for the grant