Information for Prospective Students Information for First-Year Students Information for Transfer Students Information for International Students Learning Communities, Study Abroad, Theme Semester Calendars Quick Reference Forms Listings Table of Contents SAA Search Feature Academic Advising, Concentration Advising, How-tos, and Degree Requirements Academic Standards Board, Academic Discipline, Petitions, and Appeals SAA Advisors and Support Staff

00-01 LS&A Bulletin

Chapter IV: Academic Policies and Procedures

The policies and procedures described in this chapter govern the conduct of academic matters affecting students enrolled in the College. Exceptions to these policies may be granted only upon written petition to the Academic Standards Board. Honors students petition the Honors Academic Board; Residential College students petition the RC Counseling Office.

General College Policies and Procedures
Drop/Add Policy

The College expects students to finalize their academic schedules in the first three weeks of a term (first two weeks of a half term), but later changes may be made according to the policies described below. Courses dropped in the first three weeks of a term (first two weeks of a half term) do not appear on the academic record; thereafter, all courses officially dropped appear on the transcript with a "W" notation. Accordingly, a "W" means that the student dropped a course after the third week of a Fall or Winter Term (second week of a half-term) and that the College accepted the reason(s) for the drop and gave its approval.

Failure to complete a course and to secure approval for a late drop of the course results in the transcript notation Unofficial Drop (ED) which is averaged into the term and cumulative grade point averages as a failing grade (E). Courses elected on a non-graded pattern do not affect the term or cumulative grade point averages.

Weeks one through three of a term (weeks one through two of a half term):

Students may make drop/add changes without advisor approval when these changes result in an academic schedule of 8-18 credits during a term (1-9 credits in a half term). Programs of fewer than 8 or more than 18 credits during a term (more than 9 credits during a half term) require advisor approval, as do all course changes made by Honors students and new freshmen, transfer students, and cross-campus transfer students. All students may make section changes within a course without advisor approval. Adds of courses/sections that are closed or require permission of instructor must be accompanied by an Override from the department. Adds of open courses or courses not requiring permission of instructor are allowed without override, but the student is responsible for any work assigned in the course from its beginning, regardless of the date of election. Therefore it is important to talk with the course instructor about work assigned to date before processing an add in the second or third week. Overrides are available from instructors or departmental offices. Since the fee assessment is not set until the end of this three-week period (two weeks in a half term), a student dropping below 12 credits (six in a half-term) will be assessed a lower tuition charge.

Weeks four through nine of a term (three through four and a half of a half term):

Students requesting changes must (1) obtain a Request for Late Drop form and Election Change Worksheet from 1255 Angell Hall; (2) complete both forms, stating the reason(s) for the drop; (3) obtain instructor's recommendation and signature; (4) return the completed forms to 1255 Angell Hall. All requests to add courses must be accompanied by an Override, or the student must arrange with the department for an Electronic Override to be entered. Honors students follow the procedures established by the Honors Office.

An academic advisor can approve a drop or add request in this period. When students bring in the completed request form, they are strongly encouraged to meet individually with an available advisor to discuss the request and its impact on program. If the advisor does approve the request, students take the Election Change Worksheet to CRISP (G155 Angell), where they will be able to get a new schedule printout showing the change. If the advisor does not approve the request, students can petition the Academic Standards Board one time to appeal that decision. Students always should continue pursuing their existing academic schedules until knowing that a requested change has been approved.

Fees are not reduced even if a student drops below 12 credits (six in a half-term).

Week ten through the last day of classes of a term (after the end of week four and a half through the last day of classes for a half term):

Only the most serious circumstances warrant dropping a course after the ninth week of the term. Fear of failing the course and no longer needing the course in a degree program are not considered valid reasons for granting approval to drop a course after the 9th week of a Fall or Winter Term. Students wishing to make changes must (1) obtain an Election Change Worksheet; (2) complete a Request for Late Drop/Add form signed by the instructor; and (3) make an appointment with an academic advisor. The instructor's and advisor's signatures indicate that the request for a change in academic schedule has been discussed; they do not indicate approval. All requests to add courses must be accompanied by an Override, or the student must arrange with the department for an Electronic Override to be entered. Requests resulting in academic schedules of 8-18 credits during a term (1-9 credits in a half term) are approved or denied by the a Late Drop Review Committee. All other requests are decided by the Academic Standards Board.


University of Michigan | College of LS&A | Student Academic Affairs | LS&A Bulletin Index

This page maintained by LS&A Academic Information and Publications, 1228 Angell Hall

Copyright © 2000 The Regents of the University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, MI 48109 USA +1 734 764-1817

Trademarks of the University of Michigan may not be electronically or otherwise altered or separated from this document or used for any non-University purpose.