Information for Prospective Students Information for First-Year Students Information for Transfer Students Information for International Students Learning Communities, Study Abroad, Theme Semester Calendars Quick Reference Forms Listings Table of Contents SAA Search Feature Academic Advising, Concentration Advising, How-tos, and Degree Requirements Academic Standards Board, Academic Discipline, Petitions, and Appeals SAA Advisors and Support Staff

00-01 LS&A Bulletin

Chapter VII: Admissions and General Information

General Information for All Admitted Students

Enrollment Deposit. A newly-admitted student is required to pay a two hundred dollar non-refundable enrollment deposit in accordance with instructions provided by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Upon enrollment, this deposit is applied toward the tuition and fees for the term for which a student is admitted. Failure to enroll for that term of admission results in forfeiture of the entire two hundred dollar deposit.

Questions and correspondence concerning the enrollment deposit should be directed to

Office of Undergraduate Admissions,
1220 Student Activities Building,
University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1316

phone: (734) 764-7433
fax: (734) 936-0740.

Undergraduate Tuition and Fees

The tuition and fees assessed by the University of Michigan are subject to change without notice by the Regents of the University. The information provided below is intended for general information purposes.

The tuition is a student's contribution to the costs of instruction and library services. In addition, a registration fee ($80.00 for a full term and $40.00 for a half term), a college government fee ($1.50), a Michigan Student Assembly fee ($5.69), and a Student Legal Services fee ($5.50) in a full term, 1999-2000, are assessed. The tuition schedule is based on the number of credits elected during a specific term as well as on residency status (see Residence Regulations in this chapter) and class standing: lower-division (up to 54 credits toward a degree program) or upper-division (55 or more credits toward a degree program). The following tuition information is applicable only for undergraduates enrolled at the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) during the 1999-2000 academic year. Tuition for the 2000-01 academic year is subject to change. Tuition for the 1999-2000 academic year for a full program (12-18 credits) was $3074 per term for Michigan resident (lower-division) students; $9788 per term for non-Michigan resident (lower-division) students; $3476 per term for Michigan resident (upper-division) students; and $10482 per term for non-Michigan resident (upper-division) students.

The tuition schedule for programs of less than 12 credits or more than 18 credits varies according to the specific number of credits elected, residency status, and lower/upper division status. Current tuition and fee schedule information is available from the Office of the Registrar. Tuition and fees are payable prior to registration, after registration, or in two installments during a full term (one installment during a half-term). The number and dates of installment payments are specified prior to the beginning of each term.

This information refers to tuition only and does not include the cost of housing, board, or personal incidental expenses. University housing rates are available from the University Housing Office. Information about average student expenses based on class-level, and residency is available from the Office of Financial Aid.

Students are required to pay all accounts due the University in accordance with regulations set forth for such payments. Students with a "financial hold credit" are not able to register and cannot obtain a transcript of previous academic work.

Financial Assistance

The Office of Financial Aid (OFA) administers financial aid programs, and assists students with budgeting. Most aid is awarded on the basis of financial need. Students are encouraged to take advantage of financial counseling services even if they are not receiving financial aid. Emergency and/or short-term loans are available to students for educationally related expenses.

Undergraduates are considered for grants, scholarships, loans and work-study employment. Scholarships for entering undergraduates are awarded through the admissions process.

Students must apply for financial each year that they wish to receive aid. To apply:

  1. All students must submit to the federal processor a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available from OFA, high school guidance counselors, by calling 1-800-4-FEDAID, or on the WEB:
  2. Continuing UM students must also submit signed copies of their and their parent(s)' income tax returns directly to OFA. OFA will notify students who previously applied for aid of complete application instructions each January.
  3. Entering students may be asked to submit tax returns and/or other documentation after submitting their FAFSAs.

For specific information about procedures and deadlines, contact OFA:


Phone: 734.763.6600

Main Office & Mailing Address:
2011 Student Activities Building

North Campus Office:
1212 Pierpont Commons


The Office of New Student Programs provides an Orientation program that assists students in making their entry into the University as smooth as possible. Orientation offers students the opportunity to talk with an academic advisor, plan a course of study, register for classes, meet new friends, and obtain assistance as they become familiar with the University and its resources. These programs, offered prior to each academic term, serve students admitted to most schools and colleges of the University of Michigan. All new first-year and transfer students, including transfer students from the University of Michigan-Dearborn and the University of Michigan-Flint, are required to participate in Orientation in order to register for classes. Cross-campus transfer students, non-degree students, and readmitted students are not required to participate, although they are welcome to do so if they wish.

All first-year students admitted for the fall term are expected to participate in a three-day Orientation session on campus during the summer. Transfer students admitted to Fall Term are expected to attend a one-day orientation session during the summer. The Office of New Student Programs sends complete information about these programs to students admitted for fall term beginning in April and to students admitted for other terms about four weeks before the term begins.

The Office of New Student Programs (ONSP) is a central point for new students to receive information about the University. It is here to serve you and answer all of your questions. Please feel free to contact us anytime at (734) 764-6413, or via e-mail at! We're located at 3511 Student Activities Building, or on the web at


All students are required to have a university identification number, uniqname and password for registration and record purposes. A University of Michigan uniqname, and UMICH password are keys to gaining access to all computing resources and including the new registration process. The uniqname is printed in lower case letters on the back of the student's MCARD. Students receive the password during the orientation process. Students without a uniqname/ password and those who have forgotten their password need to go to the ITD Accounts Office, located in the basement of the Michigan Union, Campus Computing Site. New students receive all necessary registration materials by participating in the official Orientation Program conducted by the Office of New Student Programs. Students enrolled in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts register and make drop/add changes through the CRISP system. CRISP










is a university-wide registration system. All students should register by the end of the registration period indicated in the academic calendar. Late registration carries an additional fee. After the third week of a full term, students are not permitted to register unless permission has been granted by the Academic Standards Board. (Honors students obtain permission from the Honors Program.) See Time Schedule for further instruction.

After the third week of a full term (second week of a half-term) students need authorization to process all election changes; there is no reduction in fee, "W" grade for dropping a course. Courses must be modified to P/f (or P/F removed) prior to this deadline.

All election activity should be confirmed on Wolverine Access.


University of Michigan | College of LS&A | Student Academic Affairs | LS&A Bulletin Index

This page maintained by LS&A Academic Information and Publications, 1228 Angell Hall

Copyright © 2000 The Regents of the University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, MI 48109 USA +1 734 764-1817

Trademarks of the University of Michigan may not be electronically or otherwise altered or separated from this document or used for any non-University purpose.