Information for Prospective Students Information for First-Year Students Information for Transfer Students Information for International Students Learning Communities, Study Abroad, Theme Semester Calendars Quick Reference Forms Listings Table of Contents SAA Search Feature Academic Advising, Concentration Advising, How-tos, and Degree Requirements Academic Standards Board, Academic Discipline, Petitions, and Appeals SAA Advisors and Support Staff

02-03 LS&A Bulletin

Chapter IV: Academic Policies and Procedures

The policies and procedures described in this chapter govern the conduct of academic matters affecting students enrolled in the College. Exceptions to these policies may be granted only upon written petition to the Academic Standards Board. Honors students petition the Honors Academic Board; Residential College students petition the RC Counseling Office.

Special Kinds of Academic Credit

Credit by Examination (CBE)

Recognizing that students may have background in particular academic areas, the faculty has left it to each department to decide if it is possible for students to earn credit by examination. While the opportunities are quite limited, the amount and type of credit in any area is determined by the academic department(s) in which a student feels qualified to seek credit by examination. Some departments recognize certain subject area College Entrance Examination Board College Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations and grant credit on the basis of specified performance on such examinations. All CLEP credit is evaluated as incoming transfer credit, and questions regarding CLEP credit should be addressed to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Only those CLEP examinations specifically accepted by academic departments at the University of Michigan may be used to certify credit by examination toward a degree.

In addition to, or in place of, CLEP examinations, some academic departments have prepared examinations that are administered on campus. Questions regarding such departmental examinations should be directed to the respective department.

Credit earned by examination is out-of-residence credit. It is posted on a student's transcript as credit earned toward the degree but without honor points and is identified by the notation "Credit by Examination." Failure to pass a departmental examination is not noted on a student's transcript or in a student's academic advising file.

Retroactive Credits in French, German, Hebrew, Latin, and Spanish

LS&A students may earn up to a maximum of 8 retroactive credits for prior academic work completed in French, German, Hebrew, Latin, and Spanish. To earn these credits students must complete an upper-level course into which they were placed with a grade of B or better.

Result on Departmental Placement Test
(the course placed into)
Students must receive a
B or better
in the following course
Number of credits granted retroactively upon successful completion of the course
Met LS&A language requirement

An upper-level language course taught in the target language:

235, and 250 or higher for French

300, and 325 or higher for German

301 or higher for Latin

250, and 270 or higher for Spanish

301 or higher for Hebrew.

(Translation courses and one-credit conversation courses are not allowed. See specific departmental regulations for more information.)

232 (202 for Hebrew) 232 (202 for Hebrew) 4
231, 221, 103, 102, or 101
(202, 201, 102, or 101 for Hebrew)
No retro-credit granted

Details and Restrictions

  1. This policy is effective for all students whose first term of enrollment in LS&A is Fall 1997 or after. Students who entered LS&A before Fall 1997 are not eligible for retro-active language credit.
  2. Students must successfully complete a designated course on the UM—Ann Arbor campus with a B or better.
  3. The course taken to earn retro-credits must be the first college course in the foreign language and must be designated as appropriate for this purpose by that department.
  4. Although there is no time limit on retro-credit, students are advised to complete coursework and apply for retro-credits within their first year of enrollment in LS&A.
  5. Taking a designated course Pass/Fail disqualifies students from receiving the retroactive credit.
  6. Transfer students are not allowed to earn double credit for the same work. That is, transfer students may either receive transfer credits for the foreign language or retroactive credits given through successful completion of the designated course, but not both.
  7. Students may receive a maximum of 8 credits through AP examination and/or retroactive credits. For guidelines on AP credit, consult an LS&A academic advisor or the relevant language department.
  8. Retroactive language credits are available only to students who began learning French, German, Hebrew, Latin, or Spanish as a second/non-native foreign language, primarily in a school setting. Students with native language fluency (i.e., students who learned the target foreign language in ways other than formal schooling/instruction) are not eligible to earn retro-credits in that foreign language. Unusual cases will be addressed by the individual departmental undergraduate advisors.

How to Apply for Retroactive Credits in French, German, Hebrew, Latin, and Spanish

  1. If your placement is 232 (202 for Hebrew), enroll in 232 (202 for Hebrew). If you have placed out of the language requirement, enroll in a designated upper-level language course in that language.
  2. Fill out the Application for Retroactive Credits. Return this form to your instructor as early as possible during the term.
  3. Complete the course with a grade of B or better.
  4. The department will certify the grade for the course and forward it to the LS&A Academic Advising Center or the Honors Program Office for authorization.


University of Michigan | College of LS&A | Student Academic Affairs | LS&A Bulletin Index

This page maintained by LS&A Academic Information and Publications, 1228 Angell Hall

Copyright © 2002 The Regents of the University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, MI 48109 USA +1 734 764-1817

Trademarks of the University of Michigan may not be electronically or otherwise altered or separated from this document or used for any non-University purpose.