Information for Prospective Students Information for First-Year Students Information for Transfer Students Information for International Students Learning Communities, Study Abroad, Theme Semester Calendars Quick Reference Forms Listings Table of Contents SAA Search Feature Academic Advising, Concentration Advising, How-tos, and Degree Requirements Academic Standards Board, Academic Discipline, Petitions, and Appeals SAA Advisors and Support Staff

02-03 LS&A Bulletin

Chapter IV: Academic Policies and Procedures

The policies and procedures described in this chapter govern the conduct of academic matters affecting students enrolled in the College. Exceptions to these policies may be granted only upon written petition to the Academic Standards Board. Honors students petition the Honors Academic Board; Residential College students petition the RC Counseling Office.

General College Policies and Procedures

Residence Policy

At least 60 of the 120 credits required for a degree must be earned in residence. Residence credit is granted for courses elected on the Ann Arbor campus or at off-campus sites directed by Ann Arbor faculty present on the site.

  • A maximum 15 in-residence credits can be earned through the Honors Summer Independent Reading.
  • At least 30 of the last 60 credits for the degree must be earned in residence.
  • No more than 60 credits may be earned through Advanced Placement, credit by examination, correspondence courses, transfer credit from other institutions, and off-campus independent study.
  • Cross-campus transfer students may receive credit for a maximum of 90 credits from a previous college or school on the Ann Arbor campus. No more than 60 of these 90 credits may have been completed at other institutions. LS&A residency requires that a student earn 30 credits in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts.

Transfer Credit

Students who transfer from a two-year college are permitted 60 transfer credits (62 if an Associate's degree requiring 62 credits has been completed). Students who have completed 60 credits toward an LS&A degree cannot earn degree credit for courses elected at a two-year college.

Up to 60 credits may be transferred from the Flint and Dearborn campuses of the University of Michigan. Courses completed at these campuses are defined as out-of-residence credit (effective September 1, 1976), even though they carry Michigan Honor Points.

Even if a course is transferable, credit is not allowed if the final grade earned is "C-" or lower. This includes all transferable credit earned outside the University of Michigan. (All credits and grades from the University of Michigan Dearborn and Flint campuses transfer.)

Students often elect a college course while in high school thorough a dual enrollment program. There are two situations where these courses will not transfer. Credit is not given when the course is taught with only high school students in the class or where the course is used to meet the minimum academic requirement that the College expects of all new students (e.g., four years of English).

Credit cannot be transferred from another school if that credit is also being counted toward another baccalaureate or graduate or professional degree. The programs described in Chapter V under the heading "Special Joint Degree Programs" are exceptions to this policy.

Students interested in electing out-of-residence credit should consult in advance the Office of Undergraduate Admissions (where an information sheet is available) about transfer equivalencies and an academic advisor about the appropriateness of the intended elections. Tables of transfer equivalencies are available on the Student Academic Affairs website at

If credit elected out-of-residence is to be included in a concentration plan, approval should be obtained in advance from a concentration advisor.

The language requirement cannot be fulfilled by out-of-residence credit that is elected after the student has begun degree enrollment in LS&A unless the appropriate language department has approved that plan in advance.

Seniors planning to elect the final portion of the senior year out of residence should contact the LS&A Academic Auditors prior to leaving campus for information about procedures to avoid a delay of graduation.

LS&A students who elect courses which duplicate Advanced Placement or transfer credit will receive degree credit and honor points (for graded courses) for the LS&A election while credit for the duplicated Advanced Placement or transfer courses will be deducted. The only exceptions to this policy are courses transferred from another school or college on the Ann Arbor campus of the University of Michigan. In these cases, courses elected in LS&A which duplicate the transfer courses are posted on the academic record as "repetitions" or "not for credit" elections. The original course elections continue to appear on the academic record for degree credit, and grades earned in these courses continue to be computed in the grade point average.

Students electing courses in LS&A which are prerequisites for credits already awarded via transfer credit will have the transferred credits deducted, and the credits and honor points earned by the LS&A elections will stand. This could mean losing credit for several courses while retaining credit for only one (for example, transfer credit for one or more terms of foreign language can be deducted because of subsequently completing the first term of that language at the University of Michigan).

An official transcript of the completed transfer work should be sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 1220 Student Activities Building, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316.


University of Michigan | College of LS&A | Student Academic Affairs | LS&A Bulletin Index

This page maintained by LS&A Academic Information and Publications, 1228 Angell Hall

Copyright © 2002 The Regents of the University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, MI 48109 USA +1 734 764-1817

Trademarks of the University of Michigan may not be electronically or otherwise altered or separated from this document or used for any non-University purpose.