Information for Prospective Students Information for First-Year Students Information for Transfer Students Information for International Students Learning Communities, Study Abroad, Theme Semester Calendars Quick Reference Forms Listings Table of Contents SAA Search Feature Academic Advising, Concentration Advising, How-tos, and Degree Requirements Academic Standards Board, Academic Discipline, Petitions, and Appeals SAA Advisors and Support Staff

02-03 LS&A Bulletin

Chapter IV: Academic Policies and Procedures

The policies and procedures described in this chapter govern the conduct of academic matters affecting students enrolled in the College. Exceptions to these policies may be granted only upon written petition to the Academic Standards Board. Honors students petition the Honors Academic Board; Residential College students petition the RC Counseling Office.

General College Policies and Procedures

Withdrawal from the College

Students who have early registered for a term or half-term but who subsequently decide not to return to the University should notify the Office of the Registrar, 1010 LS&A Building, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1382, fax (734) 763-9053. To avoid a disenrollment fee, notification of intention to disenroll must be received before the first day of classes.

Students who wish to withdraw once classes have begun should contact the Academic Advising Center, 1255 Angell Hall, phone (734) 764-0332. Students who withdraw within the first three weeks of the term (two weeks for a half-term) are assessed a $50 disenrollment fee plus an $80 registration fee ($40 for a half-term), but the registration will not appear on the student's record. Students who withdraw between the fourth and sixth week of a full term or in the third week of a half-term are assessed 50% tuition and the registration appears on the transcript with a "withdrew" notation. These dates are posted for each term on the following website:

Full tuition is assessed after these dates.

After the sixth week of classes during a full term (third week in a half-term), students who intend to withdraw from the college must make an appointment with a member of the Academic Standards Board. Students who withdraw after the middle of a term may be required to obtain permission from the Academic Standards Board before continuing in the College.


University of Michigan | College of LS&A | Student Academic Affairs | LS&A Bulletin Index

This page maintained by LS&A Academic Information and Publications, 1228 Angell Hall

Copyright © 2002 The Regents of the University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, MI 48109 USA +1 734 764-1817

Trademarks of the University of Michigan may not be electronically or otherwise altered or separated from this document or used for any non-University purpose.