Information for Prospective Students Information for First-Year Students Information for Transfer Students Information for International Students Learning Communities, Study Abroad, Theme Semester Calendars Quick Reference Forms Listings Table of Contents SAA Search Feature Academic Advising, Concentration Advising, How-tos, and Degree Requirements Academic Standards Board, Academic Discipline, Petitions, and Appeals SAA Advisors and Support Staff

02-03  LS&A Bulletin

Chapter VII: Admissions and General Information

General Information for All Admitted Students

Enrollment Deposit. A newly-admitted student is required to pay a two hundred dollar non-refundable enrollment deposit in accordance with instructions provided by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Upon enrollment, this deposit is applied toward the tuition and fees for the term for which a student is admitted. Failure to enroll for that term of admission results in forfeiture of the entire two hundred dollar deposit.

Questions and correspondence concerning the enrollment deposit should be directed to

Office of Undergraduate Admissions,
1220 Student Activities Building,
University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1316
phone: (734) 764-7433
fax: (734) 936-0740.

Undergraduate Tuition and Fees

The tuition and fees assessed by the University of Michigan are subject to change without advance notice by the Regents of the University. The information provided below is intended for general information purposes.

The tuition is a student's contribution to the costs of instruction and library services. In addition, a registration fee ($80.00 for a full term and $40.00 for a half term), a college government fee ($1.50), a Michigan Student Assembly fee ($5.69), and a Student Legal Services fee ($5.50) in a full term are assessed. The tuition schedule is based on the number of credits elected during a specific term as well as on residency status (see Residence Regulations in this chapter) and class standing: lower-division (up to 54 credits toward a degree program) or upper-division (55 or more credits toward a degree program). The following tuition information was applicable for undergraduates enrolled at the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) during the 2001-02 academic year. Tuition for the 2002-03 academic year is subject to change. Tuition for the 2001-02 academic year for a full program (12-18 credits) was $3190 per term for Michigan resident (lower-division) students; $10545 per term for non-Michigan resident (lower-division) students; $3630 per term for Michigan resident (upper-division) students; and $11305 per term for non-Michigan resident (upper-division) students.

The tuition schedule for programs of less than 12 credits or more than 18 credits varies according to the specific number of credits elected, residency status, and lower/upper division status. Tuition and fee schedule information is available from the Office of the Registrar. Tuition and fees are payable prior to registration, or at the end of the first month of a term.

Students are required to pay all accounts due the University in accordance with regulations set forth for such payments. Students with a "financial hold credit" are not able to register and cannot obtain a transcript of previous academic work.

This information refers to tuition only and does not include the cost of housing, board, or personal incidental expenses. University housing rates are available from the University Housing Office. Information about average student expenses based on class-level, and residency is available from the Office of Financial Aid.

Financial Assistance

The Office of Financial Aid (OFA) administers financial aid programs, and assists students with budgeting. Most aid is awarded on the basis of financial need. Students may take advantage of financial counseling services even if they are not receiving aid. Emergency and/or short-term loans are available to students for educationally related expenses.

Undergraduates are considered for grants, scholarships, loans, and work-study employment. Most scholarships for entering undergraduates are awarded through the admissions process.

See for scholarship information.

Students must apply for financial aid each year that they wish to receive aid. To apply:

1. All students must submit to the federal processor a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available from OFA, high school guidance counselors, by calling 1-800-4-FEDAID, or on the Web: http://www.fafsa.ed/gov.

Entering students should submit the FAFSA between January 1 and February 15.

Continuing students should submit the FAFSA between January 1 and March 15.

2. Students may be asked to submit tax returns and/or other documentation after submitting their FAFSA.

For specific information about procedures and deadlines, contact OFA:

Website: E-mail:
Phone: 734.763.6600  
Main Office & Mailing Address: North Campus Office:
2011 Student Activities Building
Ann Arbor, MI 4809-1316
1212 Pierpont Commons

See for consumer information for aid applicants.


The Office of New Student Programs provides an Orientation program that assists students in making their entry into the University as smooth as possible. Orientation offers students the opportunity to talk with an academic advisor, plan a course of study, register for classes, meet new friends, and obtain assistance as they become familiar with the University and its resources. These programs, offered prior to each academic term, serve students admitted to most schools and colleges of the University of Michigan. All new first-year and transfer students, including transfer students from the University of Michigan—Dearborn and the University of Michigan—Flint, are required to participate in Orientation in order to register for classes. Cross-campus transfer students, non-degree students, and readmitted students are not required to participate, although they are welcome to do so if they wish.

All first-year students admitted for the fall term are expected to participate in a three-day Orientation session on campus during the summer. Transfer students admitted to Fall Term are expected to attend a one-day orientation session during the summer. The Office of New Student Programs sends complete information about these programs to students admitted for fall term beginning in April and to students admitted for other terms about four weeks before the term begins.

The Office of New Student Programs (ONSP) is a central point for new students to receive information about the University. It is here to serve you and answer all of your questions. Please feel free to contact us anytime at (734) 764-6413, or via e-mail at ! We're located at 3511 Student Activities Building, or on the web at

Wolverine Access (

Wolverine Access is a web-based information system that you may use to access and update your information online. You may change your address and phone number, Backpack or register for classes, and view your course schedule, grades, unofficial transcripts, and financial information


All students are required to have a university identification number, uniqname and password for registration and record purposes. A University of Michigan uniqname, and UMICH password are keys to gaining access to all computing resources and including the new registration process. The uniqname is printed in lower case letters on the back of the student's MCARD. Students receive the password during the orientation process. Students without a uniqname/password and those who have forgotten their password must go to the ITD Accounts Office, Campus Computing Site, located in the basement of the Michigan Union. New students receive all necessary registration materials by participating in the official Orientation Program. Students enrolled in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts register and make drop/add changes through the university-wide registration system. All students should register by the end of the registration period indicated in the academic calendar. Late registration carries an additional fee. After the third week of a full term, students are not permitted to register unless permission has been granted by the Academic Standards Board. (Honors students obtain permission from the Honors Program.) See Time Schedule for further instruction.

After the third week of a full term (second week of a half-term) students need authorization to process all election changes. There is no reduction in fee.

All election activity should be confirmed on Wolverine Access.

International Center

The International Center provides international students and scholars support services, general information, orientation, and advice about visa and immigration issues, employment, cross-cultural issues, taxation, health insurance, and other practical concerns important to the successful program completion and quality of life of international students. The Center offers programs throughout the year on these and other topics of interest to international students and scholars, and hosts international social events for American and international students and scholars.

The Center also provides information, advice, and referrals for those in the University community who are participating in or considering an international experience. American and international students, faculty, staff, visiting scholars, and alumni may obtain information regarding options for overseas study, scholarships, internships, work, volunteering, travel, and international careers through individual consulting and informational programs. The Center's library has one of the largest collections of its kind in the United States.


University of Michigan | College of LS&A | Student Academic Affairs | LS&A Bulletin Index

This page maintained by LS&A Academic Information and Publications, 1228 Angell Hall

Copyright © 2002 The Regents of the University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, MI 48109 USA +1 734 764-1817

Trademarks of the University of Michigan may not be electronically or otherwise altered or separated from this document or used for any non-University purpose.