Information for Prospective Students Information for First-Year Students Information for Transfer Students Information for International Students Learning Communities, Study Abroad, Theme Semester Calendars Quick Reference Forms Listings Table of Contents SAA Search Feature Academic Advising, Concentration Advising, How-tos, and Degree Requirements Academic Standards Board, Academic Discipline, Petitions, and Appeals SAA Advisors and Support Staff

02-03 LS&A Bulletin

Chapter VII: Admissions and General Information

Non-degree Status

Non-degree status offers the opportunity to elect courses in the College to meet personal objectives without enrollment in a degree program. Consideration for admission as a non-degree student is determined by (1) certified good academic standing at another college or university and eligibility to return or (2) successful completion of a college degree. Interested students should submit the Non-Degree LS&A Application which is available from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Applicants may also be asked to submit an official transcript of their college work. High school graduates not entering UM in the fall as freshmen may be considered for non-degree admission for summer term only.

A student who has a degree from any unit of the University of Michigan is eligible to apply for non-degree status. Non-degree status is not intended to accommodate qualified degree applicants who apply after the deadline or after enrollment limits for a particular term have been reached or to accommodate high school students who wish to elect college-level courses unless they meet the conditions for dual enrollment as defined by LS&A, and implemented by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Students dismissed from the College for unsatisfactory academic performance may not enroll as non-degree students. No student having an academic stop in any unit of the University as a degree-seeking student may be admitted to non-degree status without receiving special permission from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions grants admission as applications are received. If non-degree status is granted, the student may register for courses only on or after the first day of classes of the term for which admission has been granted. This is to ensure that degree-seeking students have first priority in electing courses. Non-degree students may register for any course so long as it is open or an Electronic Override can be obtained.

The Registrar's Office maintains an official transcript of all courses elected by each non-degree student. Non-degree students are subject to the same policies that apply to degree seeking students. They are expected to maintain a minimum 2.0 grade point average to be eligible for continued enrollment.

If non-degree students plan to seek a degree from the College, they should discuss their interests with both an admissions and an academic advisor. Non-degree status is not changed to degree status except by formal application through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Successful completion of work elected as a non-degree student is considered but does not ensure admission as a degree student. If admission as a degree student is granted, credit earned during enrollment as a non-degree student may be applied toward a degree. It is considered in-residence credit (see Residence Policy in Chapter IV) and earns honor points.

Non-degree students who would like to discuss their academic plans are encouraged to contact the LS&A Academic Advising Center. Since academic advisors do not have access to academic records for non-degree students, a copy of any relevant transcripts (or other materials) should be brought to the advising appointment.


University of Michigan | College of LS&A | Student Academic Affairs | LS&A Bulletin Index

This page maintained by LS&A Academic Information and Publications, 1228 Angell Hall

Copyright © 2002 The Regents of the University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, MI 48109 USA +1 734 764-1817

Trademarks of the University of Michigan may not be electronically or otherwise altered or separated from this document or used for any non-University purpose.