92-93 LS&A Bulletin

Chapter VII: Admissions And General Information

Students are admitted to the College by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions (1220 Student Activities Building, 313/764-7433, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109) from whom appropriate forms and instructions are available. The Director of Undergraduate Admissions welcomes prospective freshman students who wish to participate in a group information session prior to submitting an application; appointments should be arranged in advance.

A non-refundable application fee of forty dollars is required of all who seek admission to the University. This fee is not required of applicants seeking readmission or of students requesting cross-campus transfers. A two hundred dollar enrollment deposit which is applied toward tuition is required of all new students admitted to the College.


Prospective freshmen must request the Admissions Bulletin from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Applications are invited from high school students who have begun their senior year as well as from high school graduates. Early application allows admissions officials to inform students of the probability of admission and to call attention to any unmet requirements. Students must apply and have all required credentials on file by February 1 to receive as much consideration as space limitations allow for a Fall Term. Students who desire admission for other terms should obtain information about application deadlines from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts and several professional schools and colleges of the University of Michigan (e.g., School of Dentistry, College of Pharmacy) have developed a preferred admissions program for a limited number of highly qualified entering freshmen that guarantees admission to specific professional programs. Further information about the preferred admissions program is available from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Transfer Students

Students with good records of scholarship in other colleges and universities who wish to continue their academic work in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts should apply to the Director of Undergraduate Admissions and request the Admissions Bulletin. An official transcript from each institution attended, as well as a final transcript from the high school from which the student was graduated, must be submitted as part of the application process. GED scores are acceptable.

Readmission to the College

The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts allows readmission of a student previously enrolled if the student left in good academic standing. Students who have been absent from the College for more than one full year (12 months) must apply for readmission by submitting a Readmission and Intra-University Application which is available from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. If a student has done academic work out of residence since leaving the College, an official transcript of that work should also be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. A student should request readmission several weeks prior to registration to allow sufficient time to complete necessary processing. No application fee is required. A student readmitted early enough may participate in early registration.

A student whose academic status in the College is probation or probation continued can be readmitted by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Students readmitted on probation must meet the terms of their probation or they will be dismissed. (See Academic Discipline in Chapter VI.)

Students dismissed from the College for reasons of unsatisfactory academic performance must obtain permission to register from the Office of Academic Actions prior to submitting an application to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. In these cases, the readmission decision rests entirely with the Office of Academic Actions. Such students must make an appointment with a Member of the Academic Actions Board to discuss readmission to the College. Petitions requesting reinstatement should be received by the Office of Academic Actions at least four weeks prior to the regular registration period for the term in question.

Cross-Campus Transfer Students

Applications from students enrolled in another school or college of the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor), or the Dearborn or Flint campuses, are considered cross-campus transfer applications. In admitting cross-campus transfers, several factors are considered. A student's previous academic program is evaluated in terms of the College's residence policy (see Chapter VI) and the requirements of the program to be elected in the College. A student's grade point average and the general trend of the grade record are also considered. The reasons for the applicant's request for a transfer are considered as are test scores and the high school record.

Students should submit a Readmission and Intra-University Application available from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. There is no application fee.

Applications for a cross-campus transfer are not accepted from freshman level students during their first term of enrollment, but are accepted during their second term. Students who wish to make a cross-campus transfer during the initial freshman term should discuss their plans with an academic counselor; the counselor will assist in electing an appropriate academic program for the second term. Cross-campus transfer students may receive credit for a maximum of 90 credits from the previous college or school (60 credits from UM Dearborn or Flint). LS&A residency requires that a student earn 30 credits in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts.

Students who wish to transfer from the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts to the Residential College or vice versa should contact the Office of Academic Actions or the RC Counseling Office for information about intra-college transfer procedures. In these cases, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions is not involved.

Dual Degrees

Students who were admitted to the University in a dual degree program or change to a dual degree program and later wish to change their primary unit will need to submit an application for cross-campus transfer admission. Dual degree students register for all of their classes on one registration form which is that of their primary or home unit. Should you wish that primary unit to change then application must be made so that the proper changes are made in the Registrar's Office and that you would then receive the correct registration materials in the future.

Foreign Students

Prospective applicants with foreign academic experience are urged to request the brochure entitled "International Admissions Information" from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. This brochure lists minimum academic requirements in terms of foreign educational systems and describes procedures for documentation of English language proficiency. Applicants requesting the Student F-1 Visa or the Exchange Visitor J-1 Visa are instructed in procedures for documenting financial resources.

International Center

The International Center, located in a wing of the Michigan Union, provides services for both U.S. citizens anticipating an experience abroad and foreign students coming to the United States.

For U.S. students, exploration may be done here of academic and employment programs not associated with the University of Michigan. Information in available for all areas of the world, for programs sponsored by other institutions, and for direct enrollment in a foreign institution. A special program for employment enables students to acquire a legal work permit for many foreign countries. Information is also available at the International Center regarding Peace Corps, and even recreational travel. You may purchase International Student ID cards, youth hostel passes, Eurail passes, etc. here as well. Students wishing to explore University of Michigan//LS&A programs abroad should visit the Office of International Programs, 5208 Angell Hall.

Foreign students may obtain assistance in maintaining their visa status, in filing petitions for currency exchange, taxes, and a large variety of other legal and personal matters.

Non-degree Status (ND)

Non-degree status offers the opportunity to elect courses in the College to meet personal objectives without enrollment in a degree program. Consideration for admission as a non-degree student is determined by (1) certified good academic standing at another college or university and eligible to return; (2) successful completion of a high school or college program; and (3) evidence of ability to succeed in university courses. Interested students should submit the Non-Degree LS&A Application which is available from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Applicants may also be asked to submit an official transcript of high school or college work.

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions grants admission as applications are received. If non-degree status is granted, the student may register for courses only on or after the first day of classes of the term for which admission has been granted. This is to ensure that degree seeking students have first priority in electing courses. Non-degree students may register for any course so long as it is open or an Election Authorization Form (override) can be obtained.

The Registrar's office maintains an official transcript of all courses elected by each non-degree student. Non-degree students are subject to the same policies that apply to degree seeking students. They are expected to maintain a minimum 2.0 grade point average to be eligible for continued enrollment.

If non-degree students plan to seek a degree from the College, they should discuss their interests with both an admissions and an academic counselor. Non-degree status is not changed to degree status except by formal application through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Successful completion of work elected as a non-degree student is considered but does not ensure admission as a degree student. If admission as a degree student is granted, credit earned during enrollment as a non-degree student may be applied toward a degree; it is considered in-residence credit (see Residence Policy in Chapter VI) and earns honor points.

Students dismissed from the College for unsatisfactory academic performance may not enroll as non-degree students. No student having an academic stop in any unit of the University as a degree seeking student may be admitted to non-degree status without receiving special permission from the Undergraduate Admissions Office. A student who has a degree from any unit of the University of Michigan is eligible to apply for non-degree status without the lapse of a full term. Non-degree status is neither intended to accommodate qualified degree applicants who apply after the deadline or after enrollment limits for a particular term have been reached nor is it ordinarily intended to accommodate high school students who wish to elect college-level courses.

Non-degree students who would like to discuss their academic plans are encouraged to contact the LS&A Academic Counseling Office. Since academic counselors do not have access to academic records for non-degree students, a copy of any relevant transcripts (or other materials) should be brought to the counseling appointment. For information about College policies and procedures, non-degree students should use the resources of LS&A Checkpoint (see Chapter V).

General Information for All Admitted Students

Enrollment Deposit. A newly-admitted student is required to pay a two hundred dollar non-refundable enrollment deposit in accordance with instructions provided by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Upon enrollment, this deposit is applied toward the tuition and fees for the term for which a student is admitted. Failure to enroll for that term of admission results in forfeiture of the entire two hundred dollar deposit.

Questions and correspondence concerning the enrollment deposit should be directed to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 1220 Student Activities Building, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109.

Undergraduate Tuition and Fees

The tuition and fees assessed by the University of Michigan are subject to change without notice by the Regents of the University. The information provided below is intended for general information purposes.

The tuition is a student's contribution to the costs of instruction and library services. In addition, a registration fee ($60.00 for a full term and $30.00 for a half term), a college government fee ($1.00), a student association fee ($6.27 for a full term in 1990-91), and a Michigan Collegiate Coalition Fee ($.35) are assessed. The tuition schedule is based on the number of credits elected during a specific term as well as on residency status (see Residence Regulations in this chapter) and class standing: lower-division (up to 54 credits toward a degree program) or upper-division (55 or more credits toward a degree program). The following tuition information is applicable only for undergraduates enrolled at the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) during the 1991-92 academic year. Tuition for the 1992-93 academic year is subject to change. Tuition for the 1991-92 academic year for a full program (12-18 credits) was $1855 per term for Michigan resident (lower-division) students; $6409 per term for non-Michigan resident (lower-division) students; $2054 per term for Michigan resident (upper-division) students; and $6876 per term for non-Michigan resident (upper-division) students.

The tuition schedule for programs of less than 12 credits or more than 18 credits varies according to the specific number of credits elected, residency status, and lower/upper division status. Current tuition and fee schedule information is available from the Office of the Registrar. Tuition and fees are payable prior to registration, after registration, or in two installments during a full term (one installment during a half-term). The number and dates of installment payments are specified prior to the beginning of each term.

This information refers to tuition only and does not include the cost of housing, board, or personal incidental expenses. University housing rates are available from the University Housing Office. Information about average student expenses based on class-level, residency, marital status, and family size is available from the Office of Financial Aid.

Students are required to pay all accounts due the University in accordance with regulations set forth for such payments. Students with a "financial hold" are not able to register and cannot obtain a transcript of previous academic work.

Financial Assistance

The Office of Financial Aid (OFA) administers financial aid programs, helps students locate financial resources, and assists students with budgeting. Most aid is awarded on the basis of financial need. Students are encouraged to take advantage of financial counseling services even if they are not receiving aid. Emergency and/or short-term loans are available from this office for educationally-related expenses.

Entering LS&A students may apply for financial aid by checking appropriate boxes on the admissions application and submitting the Financial Aid Form (FAF) and copies of federal income tax returns (parents' and student's). All continuing students must submit an OFA Request for Funds, the FAF, and federal income tax returns (parents' and student's) to reapply each year. Undergraduates are considered for grants, loans, and work-study employment.

Scholarships for entering undergraduates are awarded through the admissions process. For further information, contact the Office of Financial Aid at (313) 763-6600 to talk to a financial aid officer or to request information, or consult the undergraduate admissions materials.

LS&A Scholarships

Undergraduates who have completed at least one term in LS&A may apply for LS&A Scholarships. Students must have a high GPA and must show financial need. Contact the Office of Assistant Dean for Student Academic Affairs (1402 Mason Hall) for information.


The Office of Orientation provides orientation programs that assist students in making their entry into the University as smooth as possible. Orientation offers students the opportunity to talk with an academic counselor, plan a course of study, register for classes, meet new friends, and obtain special assistance as they become familiar with the University and its resources. These programs, offered prior to each academic term, serve students admitted to most schools and colleges of the University of Michigan. All new freshmen and transfer students, including transfer students from the University of Michigan-Dearborn and the University of Michigan-Flint, are required to participate in orientation in order to register. Cross-campus transfer students, non-degree students, and readmitted students are not required to participate although they are welcome to do so if they wish.

All students admitted for a fall term are expected to participate in a three-day orientation session in a residence hall on campus during the summer. Those who are unable to participate in the summer attend an alternate program scheduled just prior to the beginning of the fall term. The Office of Orientation sends complete information about these programs to students admitted for fall term beginning in April and to students admitted for other terms about two weeks before the term begins.


All students are required to have and to use a social security number for registration and record purposes. New students receive all necessary registration materials by participating in the official Orientation Program conducted by the Office of Orientation. Students enrolled in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts register and make drop/add changes through the CRISP system. CRISP (Computer Registration Involving Student Participation) is a university-wide, computer-assisted registration system. All students should register by the end of the registration period indicated in the academic calendar. Late registration carries an additional fee, which must be paid at the Cashier's Window before a student may register. After the third week of a term, students are not permitted to register unless permission has been granted by the Office of Academic Actions. (Honors students obtain permission from the Honors Program.)

Residence Regulations of the University

The following Residence Regulations were adopted by the Regents of the University on March 15, 1974, and became effective the Summer Half Term 1974.

1. Since normally a student comes to the University of Michigan for the primary or sole purpose of attending the University rather than to establish a domicile in Michigan, one who enrolls in the University as a non-resident shall continue to be so classified throughout her/his attendance as a student, unless and until she/he demonstrates that her/his previous domicile has been abandoned and a Michigan domicile established.

2. No student shall be eligible for classification as a resident unless she/he shall be domiciled in Michigan and has resided in Michigan continuously for not less than one year immediately preceding the first day of classes of the term for which classification is sought.

3. For purposes of these Regulations, a resident student is defined as a student domiciled in the State of Michigan. A non-resident is defined as one whose domicile is elsewhere. A student shall not be considered domiciled in Michigan unless she/he is in continuous physical presence in this State and intends to make Michigan her/his permanent home, not only while in attendance at the University, but indefinitely thereafter as well, and has no domicile or intent to be domiciled elsewhere.

4. The following facts and circumstances, although not necessarily conclusive, have probative value in support of a claim for resident classification:

a. Continuous presence in Michigan during periods when not enrolled as a student.

b. Reliance upon Michigan sources for financial support.

c. Domicile in Michigan of family, guardian or other relatives or persons legally responsible for the student.

d. Former domicile in the State and maintenance of significant connections therein while absent.

e. Ownership of a home in Michigan.

f. Admission to a licensed practicing profession in Michigan.

g. Long term military commitments in Michigan.

h. Commitments to further education in Michigan indicating an intent to stay here permanently.

i. Acceptance of an offer of permanent employment in Michigan.

Other factors indicating an intent to make Michigan the student's domicile will be considered by the University in classifying a student.

5. The following circumstances, standing alone, shall not constitute sufficient evidence of domicile to effect classification of a student as a resident under these Regulations:

a. Voting or registration for voting.

b. Employment in any position normally filled by a student.

c. The lease of living quarters.

d. A statement of intention to acquire a domicile in Michigan.

e. Domicile in Michigan of student's spouse.

f. Automobile registration.

g. Other public records, e.g., birth and marriage records.

6. An alien who has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United States shall not, by reason of that status alone, be disqualified from classification as a resident, provided, however, that aliens who are present in the United States on a temporary or student visa shall not be eligible for classification as a resident.

7. These Regulations shall be administered by the Office of the Registrar in accordance with the following residence review procedures:

a. It shall be the responsibility of the student to register under the proper residence classification, to advise the Office of the Registrar of possible changes in residence and to furnish all requested information pertinent thereto.

b. Applications for reclassification shall be filed not later than 20 calendar days following the first day of classes of the term for which such reclassification is sought. Such application shall be filed with the Assistant Registrar for Residence Status (see "f" below for address), and shall set forth in writing a complete statement of the facts upon which it is based, together with affidavits or other supporting documentary evidence. Failure to timely file such an application shall constitute a waiver of all claims to reclassification or rebates for such term.

c. Any student may appeal the decision of the Assistant Registrar for Residence Status made pursuant to paragraph b, above, by taking the following steps within 20 calendar days after she/he has been served with notice of such decision personally, by mail, or by posting in a conspicuous place at 500 South State Street, Ann Arbor, Michigan:

i. Provide the Residency Appeal Committee with a written notice of appeal stating the reasons therefore;

ii. File said notice with the Assistant Registrar for Residence Status, together with a written request that all documents submitted pursuant to paragraph b, above, be forwarded to the Residency Appeal Committee. Failure to timely comply with this paragraph c shall constitute a waiver of all claims to reclassification or rebates for the applicable term or terms.

The decision of the Residency Appeal Committee shall be the final recourse within the University.

d. Reclassification, whether pursuant to paragraph b or c above, shall be effective for the term in which the application therefore was timely filed in accordance with paragraph b and for each term thereafter so long as the circumstances upon which the reclassification was based shall remain unchanged. Appropriate refunds shall be made or accounts credited within a reasonable time following such reclassification.

e. Classification or reclassification based upon materially erroneous, false or misleading statements or omissions by or in support of the applicant shall be set aside retroactively upon the discovery of the erroneous nature of such.

f. Inquiries should be directed to: Residence Status Office, Office of the Registrar, 1514 LS&A Building, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1382.

Fee Regulations

1. The Board of Regents shall determine the level of full program fees and a schedule of such fees shall be published. All other student fees shall be fixed by the Committee on Budget Administration.

2. All fees are payable in accordance with the regulations established by the Vice-President and Chief Financial Officer, providing only that said regulations may not defer payment of these fees beyond the end of the term for which they are assessed.

3. No exemption from the payment of fees shall be granted unless specifically approved by the Board.

4. All persons, not specifically exempted, who are using University facilities and services must register and pay the appropriate fee.

5. Students enrolled in more than one school/college will pay the higher tuition rate for all credits elected (excludes students enrolled in the Extension Services).

Adjustments in Fees

Students who change their program in the first three weeks of classes in the full term and first two weeks in the half-term will receive a full refund of the fees paid and will be assessed the full fee appropriate to the new elections. If changes are made thereafter, the higher of the two fees will be assessed.

Refund of Fees

1. Students withdrawing after registration and before the end of the first three weeks of classes in the full term or the first two weeks in the half term shall pay a disenrollment fee of $50.00 and a registration fee of $60.00 ($30.00 in the half-term) but will be refunded any part of the fees which has been paid.

2. Students withdrawing during the third week of classes in the divided term and in the fourth, fifth, and sixth week of classes in the full term, shall forfeit 50 percent of the assessed fee, plus a $60.00 ($30.00 in the half-term) registration fee.

3. Students withdrawing subsequent to the third week of classes in the divided term and to the sixth week of classes in the full term shall pay the assessed term fees in full.

4. The effective date of refund is the date the withdrawal notice is received in the Office of the Registrar.

5. Any refund due will be mailed to the student's address of record upon request.

Students with Disabilities

The University of Michigan complies with federal and state laws which affect qualified persons with disabilities. It is the policy and practice of the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts to provide equal educational opportunities for students with documented disabilities in all programs and activities, including internships and field placements. Students with disabilities who require academic adjustments are encouraged to contact their instructors at the beginning of the term to discuss their specific needs. The University’s Office of Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) provides assistance regarding academic, economic, social, and recreational activities to students who have disabilities. Specific services available through SSD include counseling, assistance with class room accommodations, volunteer readers and notetakers, sign language and oral interpreters, peer tutors, accessible transportation, orientation and registration assistance, special scholarships, tape recorders and talking calculators, and aids for reading and studying, such as braille and large print materials, adaptive computer technology, and Telecommunication Devices for the Deaf. Staff in this office also act as intermediaries and advocates for students with disabilities. To find out more about services, or to volunteer as a reader, notetaker or tutor, contact Services for Students with Disabilities, G625 Haven Hall, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1045, (313) 763-3000 (Voice/TDD). Students with disabilities may also contact the Office of Academic Actions, 1223 Angell Hall , Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1003, (313-764-0310)

Student Rights and Responsibilities

The University of Michigan intends to create a unique environment for all students; one which is open, tolerant and diverse, where all feel included This goal can only be achieved with the commitment and cooperation of each member of the University community.

The University trusts that most students share its vision of the community. Inevitably, some do not. As a result, the University has adopted an interim policy that strictly prohibits discrimination and discriminatory harassment on the basis of race, sex, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age, ethnicity, handicap, or sexual orientation.

The University expects that all members of the community will act responsibly in an atmosphere of diversity and intellectual freedom. Those who engage in discrimination or discriminatory harassment, however, risk serious consequences, including suspension or expulsion.

In balancing the public right of free speech with private rights to be free of discrimination and harassment, the University distinguishes between behaviors permitted in public forums, in academic and educational centers, and in housing units. For more information about these distinctions, and about University policies, procedures, and consequences for violations of policy, consult the Office of the Vice President for Student Services, the Office of Affirmative Action, or the University Ombudsman.

As a student at the University of Michigan you have the following rights and responsibilities:

1. You have the right to pursue your education without experiencing discrimination or discriminatory harassment. If it happens to you, or to someone you know, please report it.

2. You have the right to express your thoughts and opinions without fear of reprisal. You must bear in mind, however, that the right to free speech does not include a license to harass or injure others.

3. You have the right to be free from sexual harassment, including unwanted sexual advances, offensive comments and verbal or physical assault. If it happens to you, please report it.

4. If you are accused of discriminatory harassment, you have the right to respond to the charge and the right to a fair investigation and hearing to resolve the accusation. The University's policy contains various procedures and safeguards designed to ensure that claims of discrimination are promptly and fairly handled.

What you can do about discrimination and discriminatory harassment:

1. Read and abide by the University's policy. Protect your right to receive an education without discrimination.

2. Defend the right of others to express themselves as you defend your own right of free expression.

3. Report incidents of discrimination or discriminatory harassment and assist in the resolution of these problems.

4. Be sensitive to the diverse interests and values of all members of the University community.

For more information about University policies or to report discrimination problems or to discuss options for resolving them, please contact:

Office of the Vice President for Student Services 764-7420
Office of Affirmative Action 763-0235
University Ombudsman 763-3545

For personal, confidential counseling or assistance, consult:

Office of Counseling Services 764-8312
Lesbian and Gay Male Programs Office 763-4186
Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center 763-5865