95-96 LS&A Bulletin

Chapter VII: Admissions and General Information

Subjects Covered in this chapter:

Transfer Students
Readmission to the College
Cross-Campus Transfer Students
Dual Degrees
International Students
International Center
Non-degree Status (ND)
General Information for All Admitted Students
Enrollment Deposit.
Undergraduate Tuition and Fees
The tuition and fees assessed by the University of Michigan are subject to change without notice by the Regents of the University.
Financial Assistance
LS&A Scholarships
Residence Regulations of the University
Fee Regulations
Adjustments in Fees
Refund of Fees
Dean of Students' Office
Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities or University Regulations

Students are admitted to the College by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions (1220 Student Activities Building, (734) 764-7433, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1316) from whom appropriate forms and instructions are available. The Director of Undergraduate Admissions welcomes prospective freshman students who wish to participate in a group information session prior to submitting an application; appointments should be arranged in advance.

A non-refundable application fee of forty dollars is required of all who seek admission to the University. This fee is not required of applicants seeking readmission, of students requesting cross-campus transfers, or of new transfer applications from UM-Dearborn or UM-Flint. A two hundred dollar enrollment deposit which is applied toward tuition is required of all new students admitted to the College.


Prospective freshmen must request the Admissions Bulletin from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Applications are invited from high school students who have begun their senior year as well as from high school graduates. Early application allows admissions officials to inform students of the probability of admission and to call attention to any unmet requirements. Students must apply and have all required credentials on file by February 1 to receive as much consideration as space limitations allow for a Fall Term. Students who desire admission for other terms should obtain information about application deadlines from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts and several professional schools and colleges of the University of Michigan (e.g., School of Dentistry, College of Pharmacy) have developed a preferred admissions program for a limited number of highly qualified entering freshmen that guarantees admission to specific professional programs. Further information about the preferred admissions program is available from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Transfer Students

Students with good records of scholarship in other colleges and universities or from the UM-Dearborn or UM-Flint campuses who wish to continue their academic work in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts should apply to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and request the Admissions Bulletin. An official transcript from each institution attended, as well as a final transcript from the high school from which the student was graduated, must be submitted as part of the application process. GED scores are acceptable.

Readmission to the College

The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts allows readmission of a student previously enrolled if the student left in good academic standing. Students who have been absent from the College for more than one full year (12 months) must apply for readmission by submitting a Readmission and Intra-University Application which is available from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. If a student has done academic work out of residence since leaving the College, an official transcript of that work should also be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. A student should request readmission several weeks prior to registration to allow sufficient time to complete necessary processing. No application fee is required. A student readmitted early enough may participate in early registration.

A student whose academic status in the College is probation or probation continued can be readmitted by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Students readmitted on probation must meet the terms of their probation or they will be dismissed. (See Academic Discipline in Chapter IV.)

Students dismissed from the College for reasons of unsatisfactory academic performance must obtain permission to register from the Office of Academic Actions prior to submitting an application to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. In these cases, the readmission decision rests entirely with the Office of Academic Actions. Such students must make an appointment with a Member of the Academic Actions Board to discuss readmission to the College. Petitions requesting reinstatement should be received by the Office of Academic Actions at least four weeks prior to the regular registration period for the term in question.

Cross-Campus Transfer Students

Applications from students enrolled in another school or college of the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) are considered cross-campus transfer applications. In admitting cross-campus transfers, several factors are considered. A student's previous academic program is evaluated in terms of the College's residence policy (see Chapter IV) and the requirements of the program to be elected in the College. A student's grade point average and the general trend of the grade record are also considered. The reasons for the applicant's request for a transfer are considered as are test scores and the high school record.

Students should submit a Readmission and Intra-University Application available from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. There is no application fee.

Applications for a cross-campus transfer are not accepted from freshman level students during their first term of enrollment, but are accepted during their second term. Students who wish to make a cross-campus transfer after the freshman year should discuss their plans with an academic advisor; the advisor will assist in selecting an appropriate academic program for the second term of the freshman year. Cross-campus transfer students may receive credit for a maximum of 90 credits from the previous college or school. LS&A residency requires that a student earn 30 credits in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts.

Students who wish to transfer from the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts to the Residential College or vice versa should contact the Office of Academic Actions or the RC Counseling Office for information about intra-college transfer procedures. In these cases, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions is not involved.

Dual Degrees

Students who were admitted to the University in a dual degree program or change to a dual degree program and later wish to change their primary unit will need to submit an application for cross-campus transfer admission. Dual degree students register for all of their classes on one registration form which is that of their primary or home unit. Should you wish that primary unit to change then application must be made through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions so that the proper changes are made in the Registrar's Office and that you would then receive the correct registration materials in the future.

International Students

Prospective applicants with international academic experience are urged to request the brochure entitled “International Admissions Information” from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. This brochure lists minimum academic requirements in terms of international educational systems and describes procedures for documentation of English language proficiency. Applicants requesting the Student F-1 Visa or the Exchange Visitor J-1 Visa are instructed in procedures for documenting financial resources.

International Center

The International Center provides information, advice, and referrals for those in the University community who are participating in or considering an international experience. American and international students, faculty, staff, visiting scholars, and alumni may obtain information regarding options for overseas study, scholarships, internships, work, volunteering, travel, and international careers through individual consulting and informational programs. The Center's library has one of the largest collections of its kind in the United States.

University of Michigan international students and scholars can rely on the International Center for support services, general information, orientation, and advice about visa and immigration issues, employment, cross-cultural issues, taxation, health insurance, and other practical concerns important to the successful program completion and quality of life of international students. The Center offers programs throughout the year on these and other topics of interest to international students and scholars, and hosts international social events for American and international students and scholars.

Non-degree Status (ND)

Non-degree status offers the opportunity to elect courses in the College to meet personal objectives without enrollment in a degree program. Consideration for admission as a non-degree student is determined by (1) certified good academic standing at another college or university and eligible to return; (2) successful completion of a college degree; and (3) evidence of ability to succeed in university courses. Interested students should submit the Non-Degree LS&A Application which is available from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Applicants may also be asked to submit an official transcript of their college work. High school graduates may not enroll as non-degree students in the spring or summer terms prior to their first term of enrollment as a degree-seeking student at any college or university.

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions grants admission as applications are received. If non-degree status is granted, the student may register for courses only on or after the first day of classes of the term for which admission has been granted. This is to ensure that degree seeking students have first priority in electing courses. Non-degree students may register for any course so long as it is open or an Electronic Override can be obtained.

The Registrar's office maintains an official transcript of all courses elected by each non-degree student. Non-degree students are subject to the same policies that apply to degree seeking students. They are expected to maintain a minimum 2.0 grade point average to be eligible for continued enrollment.

If non-degree students plan to seek a degree from the College, they should discuss their interests with both an admissions and an academic advisor. Non-degree status is not changed to degree status except by formal application through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Successful completion of work elected as a non-degree student is considered but does not ensure admission as a degree student. If admission as a degree student is granted, credit earned during enrollment as a non-degree student may be applied toward a degree; it is considered in-residence credit (see Residence Policy in Chapter IV) and earns honor points.

Students dismissed from the College for unsatisfactory academic performance may not enroll as non-degree students. No student having an academic stop in any unit of the University as a degree seeking student may be admitted to non-degree status without receiving special permission from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. A student who has a degree from any unit of the University of Michigan is eligible to apply for non-degree status without the lapse of a full term. Non-degree status is neither intended to accommodate qualified degree applicants who apply after the deadline or after enrollment limits for a particular term have been reached nor is it ordinarily intended to accommodate high school students who wish to elect college-level courses.

Non-degree students who would like to discuss their academic plans are encouraged to contact the LS&A Academic Advising Office. Since academic advisors do not have access to academic records for non-degree students, a copy of any relevant transcripts (or other materials) should be brought to the advising appointment. For information about College policies and procedures, non-degree students should use the resources of LS&A Checkpoint (see Chapter II).

General Information for All Admitted Students

Enrollment Deposit.
A newly-admitted student is required to pay a two hundred dollar non-refundable enrollment deposit in accordance with instructions provided by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Upon enrollment, this deposit is applied toward the tuition and fees for the term for which a student is admitted. Failure to enroll for that term of admission results in forfeiture of the entire two hundred dollar deposit.

Questions and correspondence concerning the enrollment deposit should be directed to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 1220 Student Activities Building, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1316.

Undergraduate Tuition and Fees

The tuition and fees assessed by the University of Michigan are subject to change without notice by the Regents of the University. The information provided below is intended for general information purposes.

The tuition is a student's contribution to the costs of instruction and library services. In addition, a registration fee ($80.00 for a full term and $40.00 for a half term), a college government fee ($1.00), a student association fee ($6.62 for a full term in 1994-95) are assessed. The tuition schedule is based on the number of credits elected during a specific term as well as on residency status (see Residence Regulationsin this chapter) and class standing: lower-division (up to 54 credits toward a degree program) or upper-division (55 or more credits toward a degree program). The following tuition information is applicable only for undergraduates enrolled at the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) during the 1994-95 academic year. Tuition for the 1995-96 academic year is subject to change. Tuition for the 1994-95 academic year for a full program (12-18 credits) was $2520 per term for Michigan resident (lower-division) students; $7866 per term for non-Michigan resident (lower-division) students; $2777 per term for Michigan resident (upper-division) students; and $8429 per term for non-Michigan resident (upper-division) students.

The tuition schedule for programs of less than 12 credits or more than 18 credits varies according to the specific number of credits elected, residency status, and lower/upper division status. Current tuition and fee schedule information is available from the Office of the Registrar. Tuition and fees are payable prior to registration, after registration, or in two installments during a full term (one installment during a half-term). The number and dates of installment payments are specified prior to the beginning of each term.

This information refers to tuition only and does not include the cost of housing, board, or personal incidental expenses. University housing rates are available from the University Housing Office. Information about average student expenses based on class-level, residency, marital status, and family size is available from the Office of Financial Aid.

Students are required to pay all accounts due the University in accordance with regulations set forth for such payments. Students with a “financial hold” are not able to register and cannot obtain a transcript of previous academic work.

Financial Assistance

The Office of Financial Aid (OFA) helps students locate financial resources, administers financial aid programs, and assists students with budgeting. Most aid is awarded on the basis of financial need. Students are encouraged to take advantage of financial counseling services even if they are not receiving financial aid. Emergency and/or short-term loans are available to all University of Michigan students from OFA for educationally-related expenses.

Entering students who wish to apply for financial aid should (1) submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) in the envelope provided in the booklet; and (2) provide to OFA copies of federal income tax returns [parent(s) and student]. The FAFSA is available from high school guidance counselors, by mail from any college financial aid office, or by request from 1-800-4FEDAID.

Continuing students, to reapply each year, should (1) complete the Renewal FAFSA, or a FAFSA if they do not receive the Renewal FAFSA from the U.S. Department of Education; (2) submit an OFA Request for Funds to OFA; and (3) provide federal income tax returns [parent(s) and student] to OFA. Application materials are available at OFA.

Undergraduates are considered for grants, scholarships, loans and work-study employment. Scholarships for entering undergraduates are awarded through the admissions process.

For further information, consult the undergraduate admissions materials, or contact the Office of Financial Aid at (734) 763-6600 to talk to a financial aid officer or to request information.

LS&A Scholarships

Undergraduates who have completed at least one term in LS&A may apply for LS&A Scholarships. Students must have a high GPA and must show financial need. Contact the Office of Assistant Dean for Student Academic Affairs (1402 Mason Hall) for information.


The Office of Orientation provides orientation programs that assist students in making their entry into the University as smooth as possible. Orientation offers students the opportunity to talk with an academic advisor, plan a course of study, register for classes, meet new friends, and obtain special assistance as they become familiar with the University and its resources. These programs, offered prior to each academic term, serve students admitted to most schools and colleges of the University of Michigan. All new freshmen and transfer students, including transfer students from the University of Michigan-Dearborn and the University of Michigan-Flint, are required to participate in orientation in order to register. Cross-campus transfer students, non-degree students, and readmitted students are not required to participate although they are welcome to do so if they wish.

All students admitted for a fall term are expected to participate in a three-day orientation session in a residence hall on campus during the summer. Those who are unable to participate in the summer attend an alternate program scheduled just prior to the beginning of the fall term. The Office of Orientation sends complete information about these programs to students admitted for fall term beginning in April and to students admitted for other terms about four weeks before the term begins.


All students are required to have and to use a social security number for registration and record purposes. New students receive all necessary registration materials by participating in the official Orientation Program conducted by the Office of Orientation. Students enrolled in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts register and make drop/add changes through the CRISP system. CRISP (Computer Registration Involving Student Participation) is a university-wide, touch tone registration system. All students should register by the end of the registration period indicated in the academic calendar. Late registration carries an additional fee. After the third week of a term, students are not permitted to register unless permission has been granted by the Office of Academic Actions. (Honors students obtain permission from the Honors Program.) See Time Schedule for further instruction.

Residence Regulations of the University

The following Residence Regulations were adopted by the Regents of the University on March 15, 1974, and became effective the Summer Half Term 1974.

1. Since normally a student comes to the University of Michigan for the primary or sole purpose of attending the University rather than to establish a domicile in Michigan, one who enrolls in the University as a non-resident shall continue to be so classified throughout her/his attendance as a student, unless and until she/he demonstrates that her/his previous domicile has been abandoned and a Michigan domicile established.

2. No student shall be eligible for classification as a resident unless she/he shall be domiciled in Michigan and has resided in Michigan continuously for not less than one year immediately preceding the first day of classes of the term for which classification is sought.

3. For purposes of these Regulations, a resident student is defined as a student domiciled in the State of Michigan. A non-resident is defined as one whose domicile is elsewhere. A student shall not be considered domiciled in Michigan unless she/he is in continuous physical presence in this State and intends to make Michigan her/his permanent home, not only while in attendance at the University, but indefinitely thereafter as well, and has no domicile or intent to be domiciled elsewhere.

4. The following facts and circumstances, although not necessarily conclusive, have probative value in support of a claim for resident classification:

a. Continuous presence in Michigan during periods when not enrolled as a student.
b. Reliance upon Michigan sources for financial support.
c. Domicile in Michigan of family, guardian or other relatives or persons legally responsible for the student.
d. Former domicile in the State and maintenance of significant connections therein while absent.
e. Ownership of a home in Michigan.
f. Admission to a licensed practicing profession in Michigan.
g. Long term military commitments in Michigan.
h. Commitments to further education in Michigan indicating an intent to stay here permanently.
i. Acceptance of an offer of permanent employment in Michigan.

Other factors indicating an intent to make Michigan the student's domicile will be considered by the University in classifying a student.

5. The following circumstances, standing alone, shall not constitute sufficient evidence of domicile to effect classification of a student as a resident under these Regulations:

a. Voting or registration for voting.
b. Employment in any position normally filled by a student.
c. The lease of living quarters.
d. A statement of intention to acquire a domicile in Michigan.
e. Domicile in Michigan of student's spouse.
f. Automobile registration.
g. Other public records, e.g., birth and marriage records.

6. An alien who has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United States shall not, by reason of that status alone, be disqualified from classification as a resident, provided, however, that aliens who are present in the United States on a temporary or student visa shall not be eligible for classification as a resident.

7. These Regulations shall be administered by the Office of the Registrar in accordance with the following residence review procedures:

a. It shall be the responsibility of the student to register under the proper residence classification, to advise the Office of the Registrar of possible changes in residence and to furnish all requested information pertinent thereto.

b. Applications for reclassification shall be filed not later than 20 calendar days following the first day of classes of the term for which such reclassification is sought. Such application shall be filed with the Assistant Registrar for Residence Status (see “f” below for address), and shall set forth in writing a complete statement of the facts upon which it is based, together with affidavits or other supporting documentary evidence. Failure to timely file such an application shall constitute a waiver of all claims to reclassification or rebates for such term.

c. Any student may appeal the decision of the Assistant Registrar for Residence Status made pursuant to paragraph b, above, by taking the following steps within 20 calendar days after she/he has been served with notice of such decision personally, by mail, or by posting in a conspicuous place at 500 South State Street, Ann Arbor, Michigan:

i. Provide the Residency Appeal Committee with a written notice of appeal stating the reasons therefore;
ii. File said notice with the Assistant Registrar for Residence Status, together with a written request that all documents submitted pursuant to paragraph b, above, be forwarded to the Residency Appeal Committee. Failure to timely comply with this paragraph c shall constitute a waiver of all claims to reclassification or rebates for the applicable term or terms.

The decision of the Residency Appeal Committee shall be the final recourse within the University.

d. Reclassification, whether pursuant to paragraph b or c above, shall be effective for the term in which the application therefore was timely filed in accordance with paragraph b and for each term thereafter so long as the circumstances upon which the reclassification was based shall remain unchanged. Appropriate refunds shall be made or accounts credited within a reasonable time following such reclassification.

e. Classification or reclassification based upon materially erroneous, false or misleading statements or omissions by or in support of the applicant shall be set aside retroactively upon the discovery of the erroneous nature of such.

f. Inquiries should be directed to: Residence Status Office, Office of the Registrar, 1514 LS&A Building, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1382, phone (734) 764-1400.

** Please note: If individuals can clearly demonstrate that they did not come to the state for either their own or a family member's educational pursuits, they may be able to file an application and immediately qualify for resident tuition. These individuals should speak to a Residency Counselor for further clarification of the one year requirement.

Fee Regulations

1. The Board of Regents shall determine the level of full program fees and a schedule of such fees shall be published. All other student fees shall be fixed by the Committee on Budget Administration.

2. All fees are payable in accordance with the regulations established by the Vice-President and Chief Financial Officer, providing only that said regulations may not defer payment of these fees beyond the end of the term for which they are assessed.

3. No exemption from the payment of fees shall be granted unless specifically approved by the Board.

4. All persons, not specifically exempted, who are using University facilities and services must register and pay the appropriate fee.

5. Students enrolled in more than one school/college will pay the higher tuition rate for all credits elected (excludes students enrolled in the Extension Services).

Adjustments in Fees

Students who change their program in the first three weeks of classes in the full term and first two weeks in the half-term will receive a full refund of the fees paid and will be assessed the full fee appropriate to the new elections. If changes are made thereafter, the higher of the two fees will be assessed.

Refund of Fees

1. Students withdrawing after registration and before the end of the first three weeks of classes in the full term or the first two weeks in the half term shall pay a disenrollment fee of $50.00 and a registration fee of $80.00 ($40.00 in the half-term) but will be refunded any part of the fees which has been paid.

2. Students withdrawing during the third week of classes in the divided term and in the fourth, fifth, and sixth week of classes in the full term, shall forfeit 50 percent of the assessed fee, plus a $80.00 ($40.00 in the half-term) registration fee.

3. Students withdrawing subsequent to the third week of classes in the divided term and to the sixth week of classes in the full term shall pay the assessed term fees in full.

4. The effective date of refund is the date the withdrawal notice is received in the Office of the Registrar.

5. Any refund due will be mailed to the student's address of record upon request.

Dean of Students' Office

3000 Michigan Union


The Dean of Students' Office is your place to come for assistance and services in a wide variety of areas. Within the Dean's office are three Associate Deans with a wide range of experience in assisting students. Many of the services within the Dean of Students office are listed below. The office staff can help with University wide concerns. If they can't answer your questions they will find out who can. You may drop in or call ahead for an appointment. The office is open 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and from 8:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday.

Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs/Judicial Advisor, 764-5132
Office of Affirmative Action, 763-0235
University Ombuds, 763-3545
Dean of Students Office, 764-7420

For personal, confidential counseling or assistance, consult:

Counseling Services, 764-8312
Lesbian and Gay Male Programs Office, 763-4186
Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center, 763-5865
Ethics and Religion, 764-7442
International Center, 764-9310
Services for Students with Disabilities, 763-3000
Minority Student Services, 763-9044

Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities or University Regulations

All University of Michigan students are responsible for upholding the community standards expressed in the Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities which sets forth standards of non-academic conduct by students and a judicial process for resolving complaints of alleged violations of the standards.

On campus violations of the SSRR include: sexual assault and rape; harassment; physical assault, battery and endangerment; the knowing possession, use or storage of firearms or dangerous weapons; hazing; unlawful possession, use, manufacture, sale, or distribution of alcohol or other drugs; arson; fraud against the University; theft; intentionally interfering with teaching; property damage; illegal entry into University facilities; false reports concerning fires, bombs or other emergencies, and misuse of the disciplinary procedures. Off campus violations include: Illegal sale, distribution or manufacture of drugs; physical assault, battery and endangerment; murder; arson; hazing; sexual assault and rape; and harassment.

The Judicial Advisor accepts complaints from individuals who believe a violation of the Statement has occurred, investigates alleged violations, counsels students, faculty, and staff about the judicial process, assists complainants and accused students prepare for hearings and mediations, enforces sanctions and mediated agreements, and educates the University community about the Statement.

The Statement is published in the gray sections of The Student Handbook of the University of Michigan: Insiders Guide or Rounding Out A2 and may be obtained on the Internet via gopher.itd.umich.edu. For further information please contact the Office of the Judicial Advisor at (734) 936-6308.