Cell and Molecular Biology
May be elected as a departmental concentration program
The curriculum in cellular and molecular biology offers students an integrated program of study and training in the biological and physical sciences. It is a pathway to graduate study in areas of biology and medicine which emphasize a quantitative and analytical approach to the life sciences.
Prerequisites to Concentration. Biology 162 (or the equivalent); Chemistry 210, 211, 215, and 216; Mathematics 115 and 116; and Physics 140/141 and 240/241 (or Physics 125/127 and 126/128). It is recommended that students interested in pursuing graduate work acquire a reading knowledge of French, German, or Russian.
Concentration Program. Must include:
- Required courses. Biology 305; 310, 311 (or Chemistry 451 and 452, or Biological Chemistry 415); Biology 427; Biology 428; Two advanced lab courses from among: Biology 306, 413, 423, or 429; Chemistry 260 and 241-242.
- Two advanced CMB courses chosen from among Biology 400, 405, 406, 411, 418, 422, 426, 430, 436, 513, and 523. A third (or fourth) advanced CMB lab courses (306, 413, 423, or 429) may also be used to meet this requirement.
- One elective course, which can be:
- Any Biology class at the 200-, 300- or 400-level (except Biol. 200, 201, 202, 215, 300, 302, 320, or 412). A third advanced CMB course is permitted to meet this requirement.
- Chemistry 452 for students who elected the sequence Chemistry 451-452.
- One cognate course (as approved by the concentration advisor) in Chemistry (courses with a Chem. 260 prerequisite), Mathematics (courses with a Math. 116 prerequisite), or Statistics (Statistics 402 or Biostatistics 503).
Advising. Professors R. Bodmer, S. Clark, R. Ellis, J. Langmore, L. Olsen, E. Pichersky, and J. Schiefelbein are the concentration advisors. Appointments are scheduled at 1121 Natural Science Building.
University of Michigan | College of LS&A | Student Academic Affairs | LS&A Bulletin Index
Copyright © 1999
The Regents of the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 USA
1.734.764.1817 (University Operator)