College of LS&A

Fall '00 Graduate Course Guide

Note: You must establish a session on wolverineacccess.umich.edu in order to use the link "Check Times, Location, and Availability". Once your session is established, the links will function.

Courses in Latin American and Caribbean Studies (Division 415)

This page was created at 7:59 AM on Fri, Oct 20, 2000.

Fall Term, 2000 (September 6 December 22)

Open courses in Latin American and Caribbean Studies

Wolverine Access Subject listing for LACS

Take me to the Fall Term '00 Time Schedule for Latin American and Caribbean Studies.

To see what graduate courses have been added to or changed in Latin American and Caribbean Studies this week go to What's New This Week.


LACS 455. Topics in Latin American Studies.

Section 001 Case Studies in Andean Sociolinguistics. Meets with Spanish 485.003.

Instructor(s): Serafin Coronel-Molina (scoronel@umich.edu)

Prerequisites & Distribution: Spanish 275 and 276, and three additional 300-level courses. (3).May be repeated for a total of six credits.

Credits: (3).

Course Homepage: No Homepage Submitted.

See Spanish 485.003.

Check Times, Location, and Availability Cost: No Data Given. Waitlist Code: No Data Given.

LACS 471. Elementary Quechua, I.

Section 001.

Instructor(s): Bruce Mannheim (mannheim@umich.edu)

Prerequisites & Distribution: Permission of instructor. (4).

Credits: (4).

Course Homepage: No Homepage Submitted.

No Description Provided

Check Times, Location, and Availability


LACS 473. Intermediate Quechua, I.

Section 001.

Instructor(s): Bruce Mannheim (mannheim@umich.edu)

Prerequisites & Distribution: Quechua 472. (4).

Credits: (4).

Course Homepage: No Homepage Submitted.

No Description Provided

Check Times, Location, and Availability


LACS 475. Advanced Quechua, I.

Section 001.

Instructor(s): Bruce Mannheim (mannheim@umich.edu)

Prerequisites & Distribution: Quechua 474. (4).

Credits: (4).

Course Homepage: No Homepage Submitted.

No Description Provided

Check Times, Location, and Availability


LACS 601/Study Abroad 601. Supervised Graduate Study in Latin America.

Section 001.

Instructor(s): Caulfield

Prerequisites & Distribution: Graduate standing and permission of instructor. (3).

Credits: (3).

Course Homepage: No Homepage Submitted.

No Description Provided

Check Times, Location, and Availability


LACS 619/Anthro. 619/History 617. Proseminar on Latin American and Carribean Studies.

Section 001 State and Nation.

Instructor(s): Fernando Coronil (coronil@umich.edu)

Prerequisites & Distribution: Graduate standing. (3).

Credits: (3).

Course Homepage: No Homepage Submitted.

This course is a proseminar, intended for graduate students from different disciplines interested in understanding the history and representation of Latin America and the Caribbean in the twentieth century. It will cover selected aspects of the cultural and social history of Latin America and the Caribbean. Proseminars may deal with such issues as the impact of colonialism, of urbanization, of religion, of state-building projects and nationalism. Typically the class will read a monograph a week for the first half of the course. The second half will be devoted to the presentation and class discussions of students' projects. All students wil produce a 20 page term paper, which will represent 90% of their grade (class participation will account for the other 10%). The average reading for the course will be around 150 pages per week, and the writing requirement is rigorous, requiring the production of a rough draft for critique and then a final polished version of the paper.

Check Times, Location, and Availability Cost: No Data Given. Waitlist Code: No Data Given.

This page was created at 7:59 AM on Fri, Oct 20, 2000.


University of Michigan | College of LS&A | LS&A Research and Graduate Education | Rackham Bulletin Index | Rackham School of Graduate Studies

This page maintained by LS&A Academic Information and Publications, 1228 Angell Hall

Copyright © 2000 The Regents of the University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, MI 48109 USA +1 734 764-1817

Trademarks of the University of Michigan may not be electronically or otherwise altered or separated from this document or used for any non-University purpose.