We aim to attract the top students in the Slavic field and offer highly competitive funding packages. Our graduate students have received a combination of fellowship support, graduate students instructor positions, graduate school stipends, FLAS and other fellowship support from the Center for Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies, and summer research and/or intensive language study. In addition, we provide health insurance, tuition support, an excellent library with an extensive Slavic collection and a Librarian Specialist, and an energetic intellectual atmosphere where dynamic scholars come together to share and explore.
The Rackham Graduate School also has a significant amount of funding available for students at each level of the program, by application. Information about all Rackham administered fellowships and grants can be found at the Rackham website.
GSI Opportunities: Slavic GSI positions are assigned first to sole and joint Slavic program students based on admitted student funding packages. If we do have positions available, they will posted at umjobs.org under Graduate Student Instructors.
- The Department has funding available for summer research and travel. Requests are due by March 1 of each year.
- Summer Funding Request Form (PDF)
- Travel Funding Request (PDF) available for grad students to attend academic conferences
- Requests are due by October 1 for anytime in the fall term and February 1 for anytime in the winter term. Please request funding prior to travel by sending an email to the Chair of the Department and copy the Administrator.
Your request should outline the budget for the trip, other funding requested/granted and the conference you plan to attend as well as if you plan to present a paper.
- For a travel or conference request to be considered by The Department of Slavic Languages & Literatures the form must be completed in full.
Information about fellowships and other funding opportunities.
The University of Michigan International Institute is dedicated to research, education, and service in international and area studies.
Information on funding available through CREES for Graduate and Professional School Students.