The Science Learning Center (SLC) is an interdisciplinary resource center sponsored by the College of Literature, Science and the Arts (LSA) to support teaching and learning in the natural sciences at the University of Michigan. The natural science disciplines at the U of M include astronomy, biology, biophysics, chemistry, earth and environmental sciences and physics.
The SLC Main Branch is located adjacent to the atrium of the Chemistry Building on Central Campus. The SLC Main Branch is home to several areas of activity including computer labs, meeting alcoves, individual and group study space, a tutoring Help Room, and a loan desk for reserve and research materials.
The SLC Satellite Location in 2165 Undergraduate Science Building houses a study lounge, team rooms, and computers.
The Science Learning Center (SLC) supports student learning and interest in the sciences by providing well-coordinated resources, vibrant learning communities, and engaging co-curricular programs.
Through maintaining a supportive learning environment for students enrolled in science courses, the SLC’s facilities, programs, and resources are designed to facilitate collaborative learning and team building and to empower students to reach their academic, personal and career goals.
Goals and Objectives
- To foster active and collaborative learning by providing access to appropriate resources including meeting spaces, study materials, trained peer facilitators and peer tutors, graduate student assistants and other professional staff.
- To provide students with access to student success resources including readily accessible computer and print-based materials.
- To provide students with the opportunity to participate in peer-led study groups and peer-led tutoring associated with large introductory science courses.
- To bolster personal and academic growth by providing relevant workshops on topics including study success strategies, science careers, research and study abroad opportunities and professional school admissions.
- To serve as a clearinghouse for information about campus-wide academic and personal growth resources.