The Science Learning Center (SLC) offers peer tutoring for students enrolled in Biology 171 and 172, and Chemistry 130, 210, and 215. SLC Peer Tutors provide assistance on a drop-in basis, by-appointment, or both. Peer Tutors may work with small groups of up to three students per session in either drop in or by appointment tutoring. All peer tutoring sessions are held in the main branch of the SLC, located in 1720 Chemistry Building.
Tutors have the opportunity to use their skills and knowledge to help other students. Tutors help students build confidence as they enhance their understanding of course material and become more independent learners. Peer Tutors make a real difference in the lives of other students.
Peer Tutors also:
- Develop an understanding of how students learn
- Enhance interpersonal and communication skills
- Learn skills and techniques useful for future careers
- Retain and deepen course content knowledge for graduate and professional school entrance exams (i.e. GRE, MCAT, PCAT, DAT, etc.)
- Are paid to work part-time assisting other students with academic challenges
- Earned a grade of A- or higher in the course(s) to be tutored, have completed the course at UM, and have a recommendation from a course instructor or GSI in the course to be tutored. (Recommendations will be solicited after an interview has been held.)
- Exceptional understanding and enthusiasm for the course content
- Available to work one or more late afternoons and/or evening shifts on Mondays through Thursdays, and/or on Sundays, for approximately 3-6 hrs/wk
- Responsible, dependable, honest, and mature
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Friendly, patient, and sensitive to a diverse range of students
Hiring for Fall 2014 Term has been completed. Watch this space for application information for future terms.