The Science Learning Center (SLC) offers peer tutoring for students enrolled in Biology 171 and 172, and Chemistry 130, 210, and 215. SLC Peer Tutors provide assistance on a drop in basis, by appointment, or both. Peer Tutors may work with small groups of up to three students per session in either drop in or by appointment tutoring. All peer tutoring occurs in the main branch of the SLC located in 1720 Chemistry Building.
Peer tutoring will provide you with the opportunity to use your skills and knowledge to help other students. You will help students build confidence as they enhance their understanding of course material and become more independent learners. As a Peer Tutor, you will feel like you have made a real difference in the lives of other students.
As a peer tutor, you will also:
- Develop your understanding of how students learn
- Enhance your interpersonal and communication skills
- Learn skills and techniques useful for your future career
- Retain and deepen your course content knowledge for graduate and professional school entrance exams (i.e. GRE, MCAT, PCAT, DAT, etc.)
- Be paid to work part-time assisting other students with academic challenges
- Earned an A- or higher grade in the course(s) to be tutored, have completed the course they will be tutoring at UM, and have a recommendation (requested by program manager after initial interview) from a course instructor or GSI in the course to be tutored
- Exceptional understanding and enthusiasm for the course content
- Available to work one or more late afternoons and/or evening shifts on Mondays through Thursdays, and/or on Sundays, for approximately 3-6 hrs/wk
- Responsible, dependable, honest, and mature
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Friendly, patient, and sensitive to a diverse range of students
If you have the course knowledge and strong communication skills necessary to become a Peer Tutor, apply here.