Drop-In Tutoring FAQ

Who can receive peer-led tutoring?

Peer tutoring is available for any student enrolled in Biology 171 and 172, and Chemistry 130, 210, and 215.

Where and when does peer-led tutoring occur?

Peer-led tutoring is available in the SLC’s Main Branch, located on the ground floor on the east end of the Chemistry Building in room 1720.  Tutors are available during fall and winter term on a drop-in basis Monday through Thursday between 4-7 PM and Sunday, 4-8 PM.

Do I need an appointment?

No appointment is necessary during fall and winter term in the Help Room for tutoring Monday through Thursday 4-7 PM or Sunday 4-8 PM.  Students are helped on a first-come, first-helped basis.  During peak periods, students may need to wait for assistance. Tutors may assist multiple students at a time for the same course.

How long can I meet with a tutor?

The length of your help session may vary depending on how many other students are seeking assistance at the same time.  Generally, drop-in help sessions will not exceed 30 minutes.

What type of help can I obtain from a tutor?

A tutor can help with questions about course concepts, problem-solving, exam preparation, etc.  Tutors may also offer help with developing study strategies and provide information about other academic resources.

How should I prepare for my tutoring session?

Think about the course material that you find confusing or challenging.   Prepare specific questions for your tutor about what you don’t understand. It is less helpful to say to your tutor, “I don’t understand anything” than “These are the specific concepts or operations I don’t understand...”

Prior to your visit, review your notes from lecture, make a list of points of confusion to review with your tutor, and try doing your homework, if applicable.

Bring your course materials such as textbooks, notes, assignment guidelines, syllabus, and study guides.  The tutors will not have these resources.

How can I provide feedback about my tutoring experience?

During the term you will be asked to complete an evaluation that provides us feedback about your tutoring experience.  

You can also contact a member of the tutoring staff at any point during the term by sending an e-mail to slctutoring@umich.edu.

How do I become a tutor?

Information about how to become a tutor is found here.