If we do have positions available, a University-wide call for applications will be posted through the Academic Human Resources job posting system (umjobs.org). Students can register with the site in order to receive e-mail notification of university GSI openings.
Students should apply via the umjobs.org system.
The Department is not currently accepting GSI applications. Please check back in July for Fall 2014 applications.
All GSI positions are conditional and contingent upon the following:
- Satisfactory employment performance;
- Continued satisfactory performance in your academic program;
- Acceptable language skills as determined by the College of LSA;
- Continued conduct consistent with the goals and mission of the University of Michigan;
- Registration for at least 6 credit hours of graduate course work during the term of employment;
- Departmental verification that you will not exceed ten terms of support as defined under LSA policy.
Priority consideration for GSI positions within the Department of Sociology are given to applicants enrolled in the graduate program in Sociology who have funding commitments and are in good standing within the program. Second consideration is given to Sociology students without funding commitments and who are in good standing in the program. Third consideration is given to non-Sociology graduate students with a social science background. Please note that the vast majority of positions are offered to Sociology students due to departmental funding commitments made at the time of admission.
Applications are reviewed and positions are assigned by the Graduate Director. Consideration includes academic qualifications, prior teaching experience, and faculty members' stated teaching preference.