Home / LSA Students / Academics & Requirements / Academic Policies / Credit Limits / Experiential and Directed Reading ⁄ Independent Study /
Experiential and Directed Reading/Independent Study Courses
Effective Fall 2013
The College distinguishes "Experiential" and "Independent" courses from its other course offerings.
Experiential courses (denoted EXPR in the Undergraduate Course Catalog and LSA Course Guide) involve academic work that may take place in a setting other than a university classroom, laboratory, library, or studio and in which the experience is directly related to an academic discipline. Most Experiential Credit is awarded through programs administered by departments and is recorded as credit in one of the departmental Experiential course numbers.
Independent courses may be:
- Directed Reading/Independent Study courses (denoted INDS in the Undergraduate Course Catalog and LSA Course Guide) which are designated by title and not normally offered by classroom instruction;
- courses normally offered through classroom instruction but occasionally taught on an independent study basis;
- courses not specially designated as "Independent" and normally offered as classroom instruction but elected by special arrangement with the instructor.
The following limitations apply to Experiential and Directed Reading / Independent Study credit:
- A combined total of 30 credits of Experiential and Directed Reading / Independent Study courses may be counted in the 120 credits required for a degree.
- No more than 8 credits may be earned in a single term.
- Experiential and Independent Study courses are excluded from area distribution plans.
- Academics & Requirements
- LSA Degrees & Requirements
- Academic Calendars
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Policies
- Academic Load and Normal Degree Progress
- Class Standing
- Transfer Information & Residence Policy
- Credits and GPA
- Transcript Notations
- Repetition and Out of Sequence
- Test Credit (AP, CLEP, IB, A-Level, etc.)
- Grading Issues
- Credit Limits
- Grade Appeals
- Graduation Procedures
- Student Records Policy
- Majors & Minors
- Course Selection & Scheduling
- Honors & Awards
- Academic Advising
- Transfer Information
- Study Abroad
- International Internship Program
- Michigan Learning Communities
- Course Guide
- For Graduate Students
- Your Student Experience
- Sophomore Initiative