The Residential College (RC) is a four-year interdisciplinary liberal arts program within the College of Literature, Science and Arts (LSA) at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor. Founded in 1967, the RC is often described as a living-learning community; this is because RC students live and learn in the same physical space: East Quadrangle Residence Hall. The RC community encourages and welcomes participation by everyone associated with it - staff, students, faculty, friends, and alumni.

The RC curriculum is interdisciplinary and engages students in creative exploration of the humanities, the social and natural sciences, intensive foreign language study, and the visual and performing arts. We seek to foster a genuine appreciation and lifelong passion for learning; not merely individual quests for knowledge, but preparation and encouragement that lead to effective and responsible engagement in the real world.

By combining typical residence hall facilities (dorm rooms, lounges, dining halls, etc.) with the academic and artistic resources required for a liberal arts education (classrooms, creative arts studios, faculty offices, performance and exhibit spaces, and student support services) the RC makes a unique contribution to higher education - a small college fully integrated with a major and highly respected public university.

Admission to the Residential College is available to anyone who has been accepted by UM's College of Literature, Science and the Arts (LS&A). There is no separate application, essay or competition required to be in the RC. All that is required is your interest and passion for an invigorating liberal arts experience.

All Residential College students are LSA students. An intra-unit transfer is a change of status on paper only and does not involve the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. There is no limit on the number of credits that are transferred into LSA for RC students or into RC from LSA.

LSA students transferring to RC

Student begins by seeing an RC academic advisor. Transfer students are accepted into the Residential College program if it appears that they will be able to meet Residential College requirements. Interested students should be directed to the RC Academic Advising Office for information

RC students transferring to mainstream LSA

Student sees an RC academic advisor and obtains an Information Contract Form.
Student sees a general academic advisor or Academic Standards Board member in 1255 Angell for clarification of LSA requirements and for signature on the Information Contract Form.

Student returns Information Contract Form to RC Office.

The following regulations are in effect when an RC student transfers to LSA:

  • First-Year Writing: RCCORE 100 meets the First-Year Writing Requirement.
  • The Language Requirement: RC credit for language proficiency tests (4-8 credits) does not transfer to LSA. Only actual course credit transfers. RC language courses do meet the LSA language requirement.
  • Non-Graded Courses: There is a 30-credit limit on non-graded courses in LSA, but RC P/F courses are considered to be graded because of the narrative evaluations. RC courses elected for term of transfer will be letter graded unless the student actually has processed the elections with pass/fail modifier at the time of registration.
  • RC Independent Studies are not available to LSA students.
  • Limit on Credits: There is no limit on the number of credits that are transferred into LSA for RC students.

College of Literature, Science, and the Arts 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI  48109 © 2015 Regents of the University of Michigan