Equivalent Credit
Courses at other colleges and universities that have descriptions that closely match the descriptions of courses taught on our campus usually will transfer as "equivalent credit." Courses completed at other colleges and/or universities will appear on the University of Michigan transcript with a U-M course number assigned (e.g. CHEM 130; ENGLISH 125).

Departmental Credit
Courses taken at colleges and/or universities whose descriptions do not match the courses in the same departments on our campus may transfer as "departmental credit." Note that departmental credit, while transferable and usually applicable as elective credit, may only be used towards meeting distribution and/or concentration requirements with the permission of an academic or concentration advisor.  The course is assigned a three-digit departmental number (e.g. CHEM 101X; ENGLISH 202X).  The first digit indicates the course level: 100, 200, 300, 400, etc.  The third digit represents how many courses transferred in that department as departmental credit. The "X" denotes that departmental credit has been granted. 

Interdepartmental Credit
Courses that cover a broad range of topics within a general area of study are considered "interdepartmental credit." These are courses that, because of the scope of their subject material, cannot be assigned to any individual academic department. Like departmental credit, interdepartmental credit is usually applicable as elective credit. It must, however, be approved by an academic or concentration advisor if it is to be used towards distribution and/or concentration requirements. The course is assigned to a general category and is posted with "Inter" before the category, e.g.,  Inter-SS 101X.

College of Literature, Science, and the Arts 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI  48109 © 2015 Regents of the University of Michigan