The Academic Record is the official record of a student's course elections, grades, and credits earned toward a degree. Since the academic record is a permanent record of a student's academic performance, it must be correct. Students who believe an error has been made on their academic records should contact the Assistant to the Academic Standards Board (1255 Angell Hall).

LSA academic records are maintained by the Records and Enrollment Department in the Registrar's Office (1210 LSA Building).

A student wishing to have a transcript of the academic record sent to another college or university or to an employer can place an order online from You will need a Uniqname and university password and should receive a confirmation number. Requests with paper attachments or needing special services should be brought to a Student Services site, 1210 LSA Building Street or B430 Pierpont Commons.

Mailed or faxed requests may be sent/faxed to:

Transcript and Certification Office
University of Michigan
1210 LSA Building
500 South State Street
Ann Arbor 48109-1382
Fax: (734) 764-5556

All requests should include dates of attendance and a student identification number. A transcript of the academic record bearing the official seal of the University of Michigan and the signature of the Registrar is forwarded directly to the institution or person specified by the student, assuming there is no outstanding financial commitment from the student to the University. There is no fee for official transcripts. A student has the option of ordering a paper official transcript or an electronic (PDF) official transcript (if the academic record is entirely electronic). A student may request and receive an unofficial transcript, on demand, at a student services site: 1207 LSA Building or B430 Pierpont Commons. The unofficial transcript contains additional information not included in the official transcript. It should not be used in lieu of an official transcript for the purposes of admission or employment. A copy of your unofficial transcript can be obtained from:

A student may pay a fee set by the Registrar's Office and request a special transcript including an appendix listing the original grades submitted for all courses elected "Pass/ Fail."

A specially prepared transcript indicates which of these options has been chosen. A request for a special transcript does not permanently revise the original academic record.

See for details.

Summary of Transcript Notations

A summary of the various notations appearing on a student's U-M transcript

Drop (W) / Official Withdrawal / Unofficial Withdrawal (ED)

If a student withdraws officially from a course after the first three weeks of a full term (first two weeks of a half-term), the course is recorded on the transcript with a W notation; neither credits toward a degree program nor honor points are earned.

Grading for a Two-Term Course (Y)

A few courses are approved as "two-term" sequences (approval has to be granted by the LSA Curriculum Committee). An instructor can report a Y grade at the end of the first-term course to indicate work in progress.

Incomplete Courses ("I")

An "Incomplete" (denoted on the transcript by the symbol I) may be reported only if the amount of unfinished work is small, the work is unfinished for reasons acceptable to the instructor, and the student's standing in the course is at least C-.

No Report (NR), No Grade (NG)

Explanation of No Report, No Grade, and Blank Grade submission by instructors. Unresolved, these lapse to ED (ED carries no degree credit, and the course is computed as an E in the term and cumulative grade point averages.)

Non-Graded Courses (P/F, CR/NC, S/U)

Students may count a maximum 30 non-graded credits toward the 120 credits required for a degree. Non-graded credits are earned in courses for which no letter grade (A through E) is recorded on the transcript.

Auditing Courses

Occasionally, a student may wish to attend a course but not elect it for credit. This arrangement can take the form of an official audit (sometimes called Visitor status).

Grade Point Average

Guidelines for determining Term and Cumulative Grade Point Averages. To be in good academic standing, a student must earn at least a 2.0 term grade point average and a 2.0 cumulative grade point average.

Repetition of Courses

Explanation of the repetition policy. Whether you receive credit depends on what your first grade was. In all such cases, the first election and grade earned remain on the transcript.

Out of Sequence Courses

Students should assume that once they take an in-residence course in a sequence (chemistry, mathematics, language, and others), they cannot receive credit for taking a prior course in the sequence.

College of Literature, Science, and the Arts 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI  48109 © 2016 Regents of the University of Michigan