Registration for the upcoming term typically begins about a month before the end of the current academic term. Students are notified by e-mail with dates for backpacking, registration times, and walk-in advising. Students are able to browse course offerings and "backpack" any courses of interest several days before they register. Registration appointment times, which students are assigned based on the number of credits completed, can be viewed in the Student Business section of Wolverine Access once Backpacking goes live. This appointment time is not an in-person appointment but rather, the soonest that an individual student can begin to register for next term's classes.
Students are encouraged to meet with an advisor before their registration time. It is most effective if students schedule a meeting or come during walk-in hours the week prior to their individual registration time. Peer advisors are also available Monday-Friday from 12-5 PM in the Newnan Advising Center when classes are in session. These trained undergraduates are able to help with registration and course-related questions.
The online LSA Course Guide contains course descriptions written by instructors of classes to be offered in a specific term. Instructors are asked
- To begin with a statement of the subjects (topics, themes, methods)
- To include the intended audience and any recommended special background that is not already listed in course prerequisites
- To indicate the basis of student evaluation (exams, papers, etc.)
- To state method(s) of instruction (lecture, lab, discussion)
- To mention texts which will be required
Links to instructor home pages, class homepages, and to open section information are provided on the class detail pages.
Students can view descriptions by SUBJECT, and an advance search feature allows students to search for courses based on key words, distribution designation, or by various requirements and course groupings.
View the Course Guides online at: www.lsa.umich.edu/cg
Wolverine Access is the system students use to see real-time availability of course sections and register for classes.
ro.umich.edu/schedule provides links to PDF, CSV and Wolverine Access versions of the Schedule of Classes. The All Class reports are refreshed nightly, the Open Class reports are updated every half hour, and Wolverine Access offers real time course and class information. These are maintained for all active terms.
This is a tool designed to help students sift through U-M courses. The core of its data is drawn from the evaluation forms students filled out at the end of each term.
- Undergraduate Application
- Academics & Requirements
- LSA Degrees & Requirements
- Academic Calendars
- Academic Integrity
- Academic Policies
- Majors & Minors
- Course Selection & Scheduling
- Events and Workshops
- Closed Course, Waitlist, and Override Information
- Class Attendance
- Auditing Courses
- Withdrawal from the College
- Key to Course Listing Notations
- Undergraduate Course List
- Graduate Course List
- SUBJECT Guide
- Wolverine Access
- University Online Schedule of Classes
- Dual Registration
- Honors & Awards
- Academic Advising in the College
- Faculty and Their Specializations
- Transfer Information
- Study Abroad
- International Internship Program
- Michigan Learning Communities
- Course Guide
- For Graduate Students
- Your Student Experience
- Sophomore Initiative