Frequently Asked Questions About The Second Language Requirement

Frequently Asked Questions About The Second Language Requirement:

1. Do I have to continue with the language I started in High School?
  2. Do I have to follow the placement test results for a language?
  3. Can I start my language here but finish it up over the summer at a school closer to home?
  4. If I am a transfer student bringing in some language courses, can I use those toward my requirement?
  5. Can I use AP credit for second language?
  6. If I satisfy the second language requirement by my score on the placement test, will I get graduation credits?
  7. Can I take language courses pass/fail?
  8. Can I use my language courses for distribution?

1.   Do I have to continue with the language I started in High School?

Many students prefer to continue with the second language they began in high school. However, you may select an entirely new language to meet this requirement. The College offers a wide selection, and this is an excellent opportunity to try something new. If you decide to take a language in which you have no prior experience, you do not need a placement test, you would just elect the first course in the four-term sequence.

2.   Do I have to follow the placement test results for a language?

You must start a continuing language at the level determined by the placement test or higher. You may not elect for credit a language course below the placement level determined by the test results without written permission of the department. If you do elect a lower level course without that departmental permission, you will not receive credit for the course

3.   Can I start my language here but finish it up over the summer at a school closer to home?

Once you have started your academic work on this campus, you cannot take classes elsewhere to count toward this requirement.

4.   If I am a transfer student bringing in some language courses, can I use those toward my requirement?

If you have transfer credit for some language courses, your advisor will help you determine the correct placement for you in order for you to continue that language. If you elect a course for which you already have received transfer credit, you will forfeit that credit.

5.   Can I use AP credit for second language?

A score of 600 or greater on an language achievement will satisfy the second language requirement.

6.   If I satisfy the second language requirement by my score on the placement test, will I get graduation credits?

Maybe, if you satisfy the requirements for retro-credits in French, German, Hebrew, Latin, Modern Greek or Spanish.

7.   Can I take language courses Pass/Fail?

Unless you are concentrating in the language or are using the language courses for part of your concentration, you may take the first three courses in the four course sequence of elementary language on a Pass/Fail basis. You must take the fourth term itself on a graded basis in order to satisfy the requirement. This fourth-term course must be completed with a C- or better.

8.   Can I use my language courses for distribution?

The language requirement is separate from the distribution requirement and therefore can not be used to help satisfy distribution.

College of Literature, Science, and the Arts 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI  48109 © 2014 Regents of the University of Michigan