Biochemistry concentration (B.S.) [Fall 2002-Summer 2003]


Biochemistry (B.S.)

May be elected as an interdepartmental concentration program

Prerequisites to Concentration. BIOLOGY 162; CHEM 210/211, 215/216; MATH 115, 116, 215, and 216 (or the equivalent); PHYSICS 140/141 and 240/241. It is recommended that students interested in pursuing graduate work acquire a reading knowledge of French, German, or Russian. The prerequisite work in the basic sciences and in meeting the language requirement should be completed before the junior year.

Concentration Program. Must include BIOLOGY 305; CHEM 241/242, 260, 302, 461/462 and 463 or 447; CHEM 451 and 452; and an advanced laboratory or undergraduate research course. Recommended options for the advanced laboratory course are BIOLCHEM 416, MCDB 429, CHEM 480, or two terms (2 credits each) of an advanced undergraduate research project by permission of the concentration advisor. Students electing the undergraduate research option must execute an extended research project under the supervision of a faculty member who agrees to oversee the project.

Courses recommended, but not required are: One advanced BIOLCHEM 500-level module, MCDB 427, 428, and CHEM 417. Requirements are flexible enough to accommodate a range of diverse interests in the physical, chemical, and biological sciences.

Honors Concentration. Qualified students may elect an Honors concentration. This program requires a thesis which describes and analyzes independent experimental work. The research topic and advisor must be approved by the Honors advisor in Biochemistry. Students in this program are expected to maintain an overall grade point average above 3.2 and at least a 3.3 in field of concentration, including prerequisite courses. CHEM 398 (4 credits) and the thesis course, CHEM 498, replaces the requirement for an upper-level laboratory course outlined above.

Advising. Appointments are scheduled in 1500 Chemistry, (734) 647-2857.

Teaching Certificate. Those seeking a B.S. or B.S. Chem. degree with a teaching certificate in Chemistry must fulfill departmental as well as School of Education requirements. Students who plan to earn a teaching certificate with a teaching major or minor in Chemistry should contact the School of Education Office of Academic Services.

College of Literature, Science, and the Arts 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI  48109 © 2016 Regents of the University of Michigan