Biochemistry concentration (B.S.) [Fall 2007 through Summer 2008]


May be elected as an interdepartmental concentration program

Effective Date: Fall 2007 through Summer 2008 


Prerequisites to Concentration: BIOLOGY 162 or [171 and 172], CHEM 210/211, 215/216, MATH 115, 116, 215 (or the equivalent), PHYSICS [135 or 140]/141 and [235 or 240]/241.

In cases where a student is transferring to Biochemistry from outside the University or is entering later, from another concentration, the student may be awarded an override for Genetics after completion of only one of either BIOLOGY 171 or 172, and where taking the other would be a burden for timely graduation. The override request must come from a Biochemistry concentration advisor along with the assurance that the student has been informed of the material from BIOLOGY 171 or 172 that he or she needs to review prior to enrolling in the Genetics course.

Concentration Program. Must include:


  2. Core: BIOLOGY 305; CHEM 241/242, 260, 302, 451, 452, 453, 454.


  3. Electives: One courses chosen from (no substitutions): MCDB 427, 428; CHEM 420, 447, 461, 485/500; MEDCHEM 409, 410.


  4. An advanced laboratory or undergraduate research course. Recommended options for the advanced laboratory course are BIOLCHEM 416, MCDB 429, CHEM 480, or two terms of CHEM 398 (2 credits each) of an advanced undergraduate research project by permission of the concentration advisor. Students electing the undergraduate research option must execute an extended research project under the supervision of a faculty member who agrees to oversee the project.




Honors Concentration. Qualified students may elect an Honors concentration. This program requires a thesis which describes and analyzes independent experimental work. The research topic and advisor must be approved by the Honors advisor in Biochemistry. Students in this program are expected to maintain an overall grade point average above 3.4 and at least a 3.4 in the field of concentration, including prerequisite courses. CHEM 398 (4 credits) and the thesis course, CHEM 498, replaces the requirement for an upper-level laboratory course outlined above.

Advising. Appointments are scheduled in 1500 Chemistry, (734) 647-2858.

Teaching Certificate. Those seeking a B.S. or B.S. Chem. degree with a teaching certificate in Chemistry must fulfill departmental as well as School of Education requirements. Students who plan to earn a teaching certificate with a teaching major or minor in Chemistry should contact the School of Education Office of Academic Services.

College of Literature, Science, and the Arts 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI  48109 © 2016 Regents of the University of Michigan