Graduation from the Residential College

Graduation from the Residential College

Candidates for graduation from the Residential College must be in good academic standing and fulfill all Residential College and LSA requirements for graduation. Students admitted to the Residential College (beginning in Fall 2001) are graded by letter grade AND written evaluation in all RC courses with the exception of pre-proficiency language courses which are graded by written evaluation only.

Residential College Requirements

In addition to meeting all LSA degree requirements, in order to graduate from the RC, students are required to:

  1. RC live-in requirement
  2. A First-Year Seminar (RCCORE 100).
  3. Foreign language study through a comprehensive proficiency examination and an upper-level seminar in the language (or the equivalent credits in a language not taught in the Residential College).
  4. An arts practicum.
  5. At least four RC courses beyond completion of the First-Year Seminar and the RC language requirement, if not electing an RC concentration.

LSA Requirements for all degrees

  1. An approved course in Race and Ethnicity (R&E).
  2. One to two courses in Quantitative Reasoning.
  3. An upper-level writing course.
  4. A minimum of 120 credits.


Graduation with a B.A. or B.S. requires

(In addition to LSA and RC requirements listed above)

  1. An LSA area distribution plan (both RC and LS&A courses may be included).
  2. A concentration chosen from among regular LSA or Residential College concentration programs.
  3. At least 60 credits outside the area of concentration.

Graduation with a B.G.S. requires:

(In addition to LSA and RC requirements listed above)

  1. At least 60 credits of upper-level coursework (300-level or above) as outlined in the LSA requirements for the BGS degree. Students must earn an overall GPA of at least 2.0 in the courses used to meet the requirement of 60 upper-level credits.
  2. Students pursuing a BGS degree are not eligible to pursue an academic minor.


Graduation Procedures

Residential College students submit all completed audit forms to the Residential College, 134 Tyler House, East Quad.

College of Literature, Science, and the Arts 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI  48109 © 2016 Regents of the University of Michigan