The Residential College offers the opportunity to formulate an individualized major to RC students unable to find an existing degree program within the Residential College, or in the College of Literature, Science and the Arts, that meets their specific academic needs and interests. Students wishing to pursue this option must have a good idea of what they want to achieve, consult with RC faculty and (where appropriate) other U-M faculty, and develop a carefully thought out academic plan of study.

Students interested in this option should start by discussing the matter with the head of the RC Individualized Major Program(IMP), whose name may be obtained at the RC Academic Services Office in 134 Tyler. With the assistance of the IMP coordinator, the student will need to identify one or two faculty members — at least one of whom is on the RC faculty — willing to serve as her/his department advisor(s). The department advisor(s) will help the student formulate an appropriate academic plan of study, and that plan must be approved by the advisor(s) and by the ICP coordinator before the student can formally declare the individualized major. After the major is declared, the student must continue to consult with her/his advisor(s) at least once a term before registering for courses in the following term; and completion of the major must be certified by an advisor who is a member of the RC faculty.

Note: Students who wish to declare an individualized major are strongly advised to do so before the end of their sophomore year. Under exceptional circumstances an individualized major may be approved as late as during the junior year, but in no cases during the senior year.

College of Literature, Science, and the Arts 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI  48109 © 2016 Regents of the University of Michigan