Effective Fall 2011-Summer 2012 for students entering LSA or the University in Fall 2011 and thereafter

May be elected as a departmental major

A major in Spanish allows students considerable flexibility in developing a program of study leading to competence in the language and a basic knowledge of Hispanic cultures and literatures. All students should consult with a department advisor to develop a program of study that best corresponds to their interests and career plans.

Prerequisites to the Major. SPANISH 277 (or 275 & 276). The prerequisite will be waived for Residential College students who complete one RCLANG 324 readings course in Spanish. Students who complete a second RCLANG 324 course will receive major credit for a Spanish elective at the 300 level.  For eligible students, SPANISH 278, Spanish for Heritage Language Learners, can be substituted for SPANISH 277.

Program of study in a major. A minimum of 30 approved credits beyond the prerequisite, including:

  • 12 to 15 credits chosen from courses numbered 279 to 399
  • 15 to 18 credits chosen at the 400 level

Specific course selections must include four literature courses. Other courses, or "electives in Spanish," may be selected in Hispanic culture, linguistics, and film. Approved courses in other fields, if taught in Spanish, may also count as electives in Spanish (such courses are typically taken abroad). One approved, optional cognate course (3 credits), taught in English in the area of Hispanic studies, is allowed. No more than one Independent Study or Internship course (3 credits) can be included in a major.  Students should consult a department advisor and develop a balanced program of study that includes the cultural production of various countries and historical periods.

Residence Requirement:  A minimum of 15 of the required 30 credits for the major must be taken either in residence or through a study-abroad program affiliated with the University of Michigan.


Teaching Certificate. Students interested in obtaining a secondary teaching certificate should study the general requirements for professional preparation, which appear under the "Teacher Certification Program" in this Bulletin. Specific subject-area requirements for a teaching certificate can be found on the School of Education website at: soe.umich.edu/academics/bachelors_degree_programs/uste  

College of Literature, Science, and the Arts 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI  48109 © 2016 Regents of the University of Michigan