Home / LSA Students / Academics & Requirements / Majors & Minors / Social Work (School of) / Community Action and Social Change / Minor: Community Action and Social Change /
Preferred Admission to Social Work for Community Action Social Change Minor
Students who are completing a Community Action and Social Change minor may apply to the Office of Student Services in the School of Social Work for the Preferred Admission Program leading to a Master of Social Work (MSW) during the fall of their junior year.
Students who are accepted into the Preferred Admission program will be granted admission to the MSW program if the following criteria are met:
- Successful completion of the Community Action and Social Change academic minor.
- Successful completion (grade C or better) of all courses/content areas listed below:
- English composition requirement;
- Liberal arts coursework: minimum of 20 semester hours (Anthropology, Economics, History, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, etc). Students need to have coursework from three or more disciplines in order to meet the liberal arts requirement;
- Biological determinants of behavior. Such course content may be covered in psychology, biology, human sexuality, human development and/or anthropology courses.
- An overall grade point average of 3.5 or better (based on the last 60-75 semester hours of coursework).
- Submission of an MSW program application, with all required supporting documents, by December 1st for the fall term prior to the proposed term of enrollment in the MSW Program.
Students in the Preferred Admission Program are encouraged to do the following:
Undergraduate students may elect graduate (500 level) courses in the School of Social Work. If these courses are used for the undergraduate degree, and a "B" is obtained, these courses may be used as exemptions for the required courses toward the Master of Social Work degree, (these exemptions do not reduce the 60 credit hour degree requirement). If these courses are not applied toward an undergraduate degree, they may be transferred to the School of Social Work, and counted toward the 60 credit degree requirement. Prior to enrolling in 500 level social work courses, student should meet with a counselor in the Office of Student Service (1748 SSWB).
During the period of enrollment in the CASC minor, School of Social Work admissions counselors will be available to meet with Preferred Admission program participants.
For information on the School of Social Work and the MSW program:
- SSW Website: ssw.umich.edu
- CASC Website: ssw.umich.edu/programs/undergrad/
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Undergraduate Application
- Academics & Requirements
- Academic Advising in the College
- Course Selection & Scheduling
- Transfer Information
- Study Abroad
- International Internship Program
- Michigan Learning Communities
- Course Guide
- For Graduate Students
- Your Student Experience
- Sophomore Initiative