The LSA International Internship Program partners with several different organizations in order to place students in internships in China. Please read below for available internship placements.
Name of position: English Language Teaching Intern
Location: Macau, China
Company: University of Macau
About: The English Language Centre, Faculty of Arts and Humanities, University of Macau is advertising for interns to assist in its residential English Immersion Programme on campus, in the summer of 2016. Internships are open to undergraduate and graduate students studying through the medium of English, who are interested in teaching English.
For more information about the University of Macau, please visit www.umac.mo
Dates of internship: Interns are expected to arrive in time for the first of two induction days on 30th June 2016. The teaching period of the Summer English Immersion Programme runs from 4 July – 29 July (4 weeks). Interns are expected to be available for the induction days and for the full 4 week duration of the summer programme. You are expected to arrive on 29 June 2016.
Housing: Accommodation in shared (twin) rooms in the campus Residential Colleges
Pay: Travel subsidy for those coming from outside Macau (the equivalent of USD800 for those travelling from outside Asia; USD400 for those travelling from within Asia)
A living subsidy of USD2000 for the programme overall
On the Summer English Immersion Programme, under the guidance of experienced instructors, ELT interns help the University of Macau’s local, incoming undergraduate students to improve their English. Interns work with largely Chinese-speaking students in small groups, inside and outside the classroom, to help them academically; they provide communication practice to reinforce their classroom learning; and they create opportunities for students to use their English in a range of extra-curricular settings.
There will be the opportunity for interns to receive instruction in Chinese (Mandarin) during the programme.
- This opportunity will be of interest to students who are seeking an international internship related to teaching English as a Second Language, and who wish to experience living in Macau.
Name of position: Investment Intern (21 positions available) or Asset Management Intern (2 positions available)
Location: Investment Intern positions located in Shanghai (13 positions), Beijing (5), or Foshan (3); Asset Management Intern positions located in Shanghai (2)
Company: Mapletree, China (a major real estate investment firm)
Dates of internship: Flexible (8 full weeks preferred)
Housing: Not provided
Pay: approximately $750/month
Responsibilities: As an intern with Mapletree China, you will support the key business units in various market research and analysis. During your summer internship program with us, you
will have many valuable opportunities to gain new insights in the China real estate
market while developing essential business skills. Throughout your experience, you
will receive guidance and direction from an experienced colleague in order to
develop in-depth working knowledge of the key responsibilities, procedures, and
standards required for performing the various tasks/research/analysis. The research
work and analysis may vary across multiple real estate sectors across different
- Chinese citizen
- Good command of written English
- Passionate about the real estate industry
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of applications
- Proficiency in financial modeling and/or other statistical modeling tools preferred but not required
- Good teamwork
- Strong initiative
- Independent worker
- Works well in a fast-paced environment
Name of Company: Pie Squared (方派披萨）
Location: Beijing, China
Number of Positions: 1-2
Intern Position Title: Restaurant Manager/Customer Relations
Dates of Internship: Any 6 to 8 week period in May, June or July
Compensation: Free food at Pie Squared and housing will be provided. Other compensation can be discussed.
Housing: Own room in a two-bedroom, fully furnished apartment in Beijing.
Responsibilities: Pie Squared is a Detroit style pizza restaurant located in Beijing, China. We set up our first branch in this particular area of Beijing because of its proximity to many of the international schools and the corresponding demographics of people living in the area. Our customer base is approximately 70 percent foreign expats and 30 percent local Chinese. This mix of foreign and Chinese customers makes customer communication/relations the most important part of our operations. As such, the primary responsibility of the position is to help manage the restaurant by acting as a customer interface. The role includes taking phone calls (in English and Chinese, if possible) for delivery orders and greeting/serving customers as they come in for dine-in or carry out orders.
Languages Requirements: English is definitely required. Chinese at basic level or higher would be great. This would be a good opportunity for someone studying Mandarin to get a good deal of real-life practice by communicating with staff and customers every day.
Desired professional skills/specialties of the ideal intern: This may seem cliché, but being in the customer service industry, I am looking for someone who is outgoing and possesses outstanding communication skills. Ideally in both English and Mandarin.
The LSA International Internship Program works in conjunction with CRCC Asia, an internship placement Company, to help place our students in internships in China. Students have opportunities to intern in either Beijing or Shenzhen in a variety of sectors including but not limited to: business, finance, marketing, engineering, media and creative industries, legal, architecture, or NGO.
You will begin the process by using the online M-Compass application. If applying and accepted to CRCC, a phone interview will be set up with CRCC Asia in January. CRCC will oversee your placement process. You can choose from several different program start dates with CRCC to fit your schedule.
- 1 Month Internship: May 28th to June 24th
- 1 Month Internship: June 25th to July 22nd
- 1 Month Internship: July 23rd to August 19th
Available for All Sectors, including Engineering Placements to allow for more in depth projects
- 2 Month Internship: May 28th to July 22nd
- 2 Month Internship: June 25th to August 19th
- 3 Month Internship: May 28th to August 19th
CRCC has an annual scholarship program that will award up to $10,000 in scholarships for US & Canadian students. To learn more about the scholarship program and the application deadline read HERE. University of Michigan students also receive up to a $200 scholarship automatically from CRCC Asia as part of our partnership with CRCC Asia.
The CRCC Asia China Internship Program includes the following services alongside provision of the work placement, job description, and an English-speaking supervisor:
- Pre-departure information and advice
- Official visa processing and support
- On-site cultural orientation and cultural training packet
- Accommodation (serviced apartment of international standard)
- Welcome Pack including prepaid SIM card, Travel Card and Guidebook
- Airport pickup in CRCC Asia minibus.
- Welcome banquet with fellow interns and the CRCC Asia team
- Chinese business etiquette training and training manual
- Full support and guidance from our teams on the ground
- Social events, including events such as acrobatics show, karaoke night and weekend charity visit
- Networking and business events including China Business Seminar
- Personalized business cards, certification and T-shirt
- Membership of CRCC Asia Alumni Network including access to Alumni Funds
Program Fees for China Internship Program:
- 1 Month - $3,495
- 2 Months - $4,695
- 3 Months - $5,845
Situational Discounts (for students who meet these conditions):
- No Visa Processing (Only applies to Chinese Nationals): $250 USD
- No Accommodation Needed:
- 1 month: $1,000 USD
- 2 months: $2,000 USD
- 3 months: $3,000 USD
Chinese National Package (No Accommodation, No Visa, No Mandarin Lessons, No Airport Pick Up, Still have access to 24/7 Support and CRCC Asia Events):
- 1 Month Program Equals: $2,095 USD
- 2 Month Program Equals: $2,145 USD
- 3 Month Program Equals: $2,195 USD
CRCC Asia interns stay in serviced apartments located in close proximity to the China Business District. The apartments are always within walking distance to the nearest public transportation and a short taxi journey to CRCC Asia offices. Participants share the apartments with one or two other interns of the same gender. Each person has a private bedroom and shares a bathroom, living room and kitchen. All apartments have central heating, air conditioning, Internet access, and a television. The apartment service includes provision and changes of bed linen and towels and weekly cleaning. There is a front desk reception and concierge service if required.
All students require a relevant visa in order to legitimately engage in an internship in China. CRCC Asia provides the necessary paperwork and oversees the visa process by working with each of our host companies to provide an official Invitation Letter for the intern. The CRCC Asia US Regional Offices in San Francisco and Pennsylvania use this letter and work with the Chinese Embassy to process the Business Visa. This service is included as part of the Internship Program cost, unless not required by the individual (i.e. Chinese citizen). It is highly recommended to go through CRCC Asia for the visa processing, as China visa regulations can be quite complex when obtaining a business visa.
Name of Position: Financial Analyst Intern
Location: Macau, China
Company: Louis XIII Financial Holdings
Working Hours: 9:00-6:30
Housing: Provided but needs to be paid for at own expense
Students who have participated in this internship in previous years have:
- Conducted research analysis on the Macau Casino Industry as well as detail-oriented reviews on a variety of casino business and policy issues ranging from 2015 second quarter industry performance analysis or year-end industry performance analysis for past five years to the government smoking ban on casino floors
- Crafted and presented an objective, thought-provoking research report to the CEO and SVP Committee by abstracting analysis, ideas and recommendations into compelling deliverables that aimed in helping drive key planning decisions for the company, while under the guidance of the CEO and SVP of Finance & Casino Operations
- Shadowed the Accounts Payable, General Ledger, Reporting Planning and Analysis, Purchasing and Inventory/Cost Control sectors under the Finance Department in order to obtain ample exposure of the structural basis of the Casino Operating Resort and knowledge on its planned key performance indicators
Name of Position: Assistant Analyst or Research Assistant (1-2 positions)
Location: Hong Kong, China
Company: Oppenheimer Investments Asia Limited
Dates of Internship: 4-8 weeks, flexible
Assistant Analyst: Provide support to the Investment Banking group, including writing informational memos, creating presentations, and creating Microsoft Excel models.
Research Assistant: Provide support to the Emerging Markets Fixed Income group, including researching regional corporate credits, creating presentations, and creating Microsoft Excel models.
Requirements: Applicants must hold a valid Hong Kong ID. Mandarin or Cantonese helpful but not required. Applicants should have good writing skills, be skilled with Microsoft Excel and Powerpoint, and have experience with financial modeling.
Additional Requirements for Assistant Analyst: Relevant accounting/financial course studies
Additional Requirements for Research Assistant: Experience and knowledge of the Bloomberg terminal is helpful but not required. Macro-economic knowledge of the Asian region is desired.
- Undergraduate Application
- Academics & Requirements
- Academic Advising in the College
- Course Selection & Scheduling
- Transfer Information
- Study Abroad
- International Internship Program
- Michigan Learning Communities
- Course Guide
- For Graduate Students
- Your Student Experience
- Sophomore Initiative