As you think about your options and learn about the internship opportunities available to you, it is important to consider how you will make the most of this opportunity. Below are some topics for you to consider before, during and after your internship.
Before your internship, consider the following:
- Credit Options - Explore your options for earning credit, including enrolling in UC225, LSA undergraduate internship course
- LinkedIn - Be sure your LinkedIn profile is up to date and you have joined the LSA Internship Program LinkedIn Group
- Travel Requirements - If you are interning abroad, complete the international travel requirements in MCompass
While you are at your internship, keep a few important tips in mind:
- Communicate Effectively - Be prepared to utilize the powerful communication skills you have been developing in LSA. Be ready to speak with your supervisor often about ways to utilize your existing skills and gain more skills that you would like to acquire.
- Set goals - Be sure to meet with your supervisor early on in your internship experience to discuss expectations your employer has for the position. Also, look for an opportunities to articulate what you hope to gain from the experience.
- Be Responsible - be punctual and take your job seriously. The more attentive and engaged you are in the work you are doing, the more you will learn. In some cases, internships are an opportunity for an employer to consider you as a candidate for a full-time position. Also the impression you make as an intern could be the basis of a recommendation you may want to send to future employers.
- Be Observant - Learn as much as you can about the industry and the organization by observing the people, the culture and how decisions are made. Be open-minded, talk with everyone and when it is appropriate, volunteer to contribute to projects.
- Undergraduate Application
- Academics & Requirements
- Academic Advising in the College
- Course Selection & Scheduling
- Faculty and Their Specializations
- Study Abroad
- Transfer Information
- International Internship Program
- Michigan Learning Communities
- Course Guide
- For Graduate Students
- Your Student Experience
- Sophomore Initiative