FAQ for all Scholarship Students
When should I write my letter of appreciation?
- You will receive an email from Doug Fletcher, Scholarship Manager, in late September giving you more information on this requirement and donor address. For general letter guidelines, click here. For sample letters, click here.
What if I want to study abroad?
- If you choose a UM study abroad program, your scholarship can be used for expenses to cover the program. If you choose a non-UM program, the scholarship cannot be used. You may call the LSA Scholarship Office at 763-9521 to set up an appointment with the LSA Scholarship Manager, Doug Fletcher, to discuss your situation, or you may email him directly at email@example.com.
What if I want to transfer to the Business School/College of Engineering/etc. Will my scholarship transfer?
- If you accept an LSA scholarship, it is only effective during the time you spend in LSA. Therefore, if you attend LSA but transfer to another school or college, you will only receive scholarship money for the years you are in LSA.
What happens to my LSA scholarship if I want to dual degree with another school or college at the University of Michigan?
- To continue to qualify for any LSA-based scholarship the student must be admitted to a dual degree program in LSA and the other school or college. Once a student is admitted into a Multiple Dependent Degree Program (MDDP, also known as a dual degree) the student is then eligible to receive or apply for a scholarship from the College of LSA. It should be noted that a minor in LSA is not a degree program and the student will not be eligible to apply for or to continue to receive an existing scholarship.
- MDDP students who receive scholarships from the College of LSA must complete both degrees. If the LSA degree is not completed for any reason, the scholarship will be retroactively cancelled and the student will be billed for the full amount beginning from the first semester that the MDDP began. The student must repay the scholarship if an LSA degree is not conferred. Non-payment may result in a hold on the student's diploma, or a block on the request for an official transcript until the amount due is paid.
- If a student is receiving a scholarship from LSA or has applied for a scholarship, the scholarship will not disburse (pay out), or be applied to the student's financial aid package until the dual degree status is official. "Planning to be" MDDP or "in the process of applying for MDDP" is not sufficient. The student must meet with their individual academic advisor and follow their recommendations about how to proceed with the MDDP application process. There are no exceptions to this requirement.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Scholarship Requirements
- Current Students
- External Scholarship Opportunities
- Prospective Students
- Transfer Students
- Scholarship Service Program
- Scholarship Index
- Academics & Requirements
- Academic Advising
- Transfer Information
- Study Abroad
- International Internship Program
- Michigan Learning Communities
- Course Guide
- For Graduate Students
- Your Student Experience
- Sophomore Initiative