LSA Global Experience Scholarships for CGIS Programs
The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts is committed to provide financial support to students with demonstrated financial need who are participating in international programs through the University of Michigan.
For examples of scholarships administered through the scholarship program click here.
Please Note: students do not apply for individual named scholarships. The LSA Scholarship Office reviews the student's M-Compass LSA Global Experience Scholarship application and will match eligible students to specific LSA scholarship funds.
- Applicants must be students pursuing a degree program in LSA at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor campus. Students enrolled at U-M Dearborn, U-M Flint, or at another institution are not eligible.
- Students must be eligible to receive need based aid from the University of Michigan Office of Financial Aid.
- Only students who are U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents (possess a green card) are eligible for need-based scholarships through this scholarship program.
- Only students in the College of LSA who are participating in University of Michigan programs abroad through the Center for Global and Intercultural Study are eligible to apply for these scholarships. If you have applied for the LSA Global Experience Scholarship but are currently in another school or college at the University, the scholarship will not disburse (pay out), or be applied to the student's financial aid package, until the change in school is official. "Planning to be in LSA" or "in the process of changing to LSA" is not sufficient. Therefore, students in the process will not be eligible for this scholarship. There are no exceptions to this requirement.
- Students who are seniors will not be considered for LSA scholarships if their graduation date is prior to or during their travel. Students graduation date must be after the completion of their travel program, no exceptions. Seniors have the option to change their graduation date in order to be eligible. Contact Trisha Fountain, LSA Scholarship Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding eligibility.
Students should apply for the LSA Global Experience Scholarship at the same time they apply to their program through the Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS) using the M-Compass application tool. Applicants should take into account:
- There is a separate application for each CGIS program area (GIEU, GCC and CGIS). Please make sure you submit an application for the scholarship that corresponds with the CGIS program you have applied for.
- Students who are applying for multiple CGIS programs need to complete a scholarship application for each separate program. In the case of Spring and/or Summer term programs, a student applying for a GCC program occurring in May and a GIEU program occurring in July will need to complete two scholarship applications: a LSA Global Experience Scholarship (GCC) and a LSA Global Experience Scholarship (GIEU).
- Each application requires the student to complete a personal travel budget and their expected financial contribution for that particular CGIS program. Only completed scholarship applications will be considered.
- Scholarship students will be required to share their study abroad experience with their scholarship donors in the form of a donor thank you survey. This survey will be emailed to the student after their return.
- Scholarship recipients must complete five hours of service to the CGIS office. They may fulfill this requirement by volunteering at the Global Education Fair, program orientations, e-advising prospective students, and/or helping write promotional material.
- Students are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress throughout their entire CGIS program. Scholarship students must maintain a minimum of a 2.0 GPA and complete a minimum of 67% of all credit hours each semester.
- If students do not successfully complete these minimum requirements, their scholarship will be retroactively cancelled and it will impact their eligibility to receive scholarship support in the future.
Financial Aid Abroad
In order to be considered for funding by the Office of Financial Aid (OFA) and the LSA Scholarship Office, students participating in a GIEU, GCC, or CGIS programs must notify OFA of the term they will be studying abroad.
- Spring / Summer: Once a student is accepted to their CGIS study abroad program, their CGIS program advisor will provide them with a Spring/Summer Study Abroad Financial Aid Request form that they will need to complete and submit to the OFA.
- Fall / Winter and Academic Year: Once a student is accepted to their CGIS study abroad program, their CGIS program advisor will provide them with a Fall/Winter Study Abroad Financial Aid Request form that they will need to complete and submit to the OFA.
For more information about the types of financial aid that apply to a specific program, please visit www.finaid.umich.edu/Abroad. Please contact OFA with any questions you may have about the financial aid available for your program. The office is located in the Student Activities Building (2500 SAB) and can be reached by phone at 734-763-6600.
For additional information, click on a CGIS program below:
Scholarships available for students participating in a CGIS program during the entire academic year, or fall, winter, spring or summer terms.
Scholarships available for students participating in a GIEU program through CGIS
Scholarship opportunities for students participating in a GCC program through CGIS
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Scholarship Requirements
- Current Students
- External Scholarship Opportunities
- Prospective Students
- Transfer Students
- Scholarship Service Program
- Scholarship Index
- Undergraduate Application
- Academics & Requirements
- Academic Advising in the College
- Faculty and Their Specializations
- Transfer Information
- Study Abroad
- International Internship Program
- Michigan Learning Communities
- Course Guide
- For Graduate Students
- Your Student Experience
- Sophomore Initiative