LSA Global Experience Scholarships for CGIS Programs
The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts is committed to provide financial support to students with demonstrated financial need who are participating in international programs through the University of Michigan.
For examples of scholarships administered through the scholarship program click here.
Please Note: students do not apply for individual named scholarships. The LSA Scholarship Office reviews the student's M-Compass LSA Global Experience Scholarship application and will match eligible students to specific LSA scholarship funds.
- Applicants must be students pursuing a degree program in LSA at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor campus. Students enrolled at U-M Dearborn, U-M Flint, or at another institution are not eligible.
- They must have received need-based financial aid in the past year.
- Only students who are U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents (possess a green card) are eligible for need-based scholarships through this scholarship program.
- Only students in the College of LSA who are participating in University of Michigan programs abroad through the Center for Global and Intercultural Study are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
- Students who are seniors and not returning to campus to enroll in classes after their return from the program abroad will not be considered for LSA scholarships. The only exception are seniors who need the course credit abroad to complete their major requirements and graduate. Seniors with this circumstance must appeal. The appeal will require the student's LSA advisor to contact Betsy Dodge, LSA Scholarship Coordinator, at email@example.com and supply a written confirmation that the study abroad course is required.
Students should apply for the LSA Global Experience Scholarship at the same time they apply to their program through the Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS) using the M-Compass application tool. Applicants should take into account:
- There is a separate application for each CGIS program area (MGAP, GIEU, GCC and Language). Please make sure you submit an application for the scholarship that corresponds with the CGIS program you have applied for.
- Students who are applying for multiple CGIS programs need to complete a scholarship application for each separate program. In the case of Spring and/or Summer term programs, a student applying for a GCC program occurring in May and a GIEU program occurring in July will need to complete two scholarship applications: a LSA Global Experience Scholarship (GCC) and a LSA Global Experience Scholarship (GIEU).
- Each application requires the student to complete a personal travel budget and their expected financial contribution for that particular CGIS program. Only completed scholarship applications will be considered.
- Scholarship students will be required to share their study abroad experience with their scholarship donors in the form of a Formstack survey. This survey will be emailed to the student after their return.
- Scholarship recipients must complete five hours of service to the CGIS office. They may fulfill this requirement by volunteering at the Global Education Fair, program orientations, e-advising prospective students, and/or helping write promotional material.
- Students are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress throughout their entire CGIS program. Scholarship students must maintain a minimum of a 2.0 GPA and complete a minimum of 67% of all credit hours each semester. If they do not successfully complete these minimum requirements their scholarship will be retroactively cancelled and it will impact their eligibility to receive scholarship support in the future.
For additional information, click on a CGIS program below:
Scholarships available for students participating in an MGAP program during the entire academic year, or fall, winter, spring or summer terms.
Scholarships available for students participating in a Language program through CGIS
Scholarships available for students participating in a GIEU program through CGIS
Scholarship opportunities for students participating in a GCC program through CGIS
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Scholarship Requirements
- Current Students
- External Scholarship Opportunities
- Prospective Students
- Transfer Students
- Scholarship Service Program
- Scholarship Index
- Undergraduate Application
- Academics & Requirements
- Academic Advising
- Faculty Listings
- Transfer Information
- Study Abroad
- Michigan Learning Communities
- International Internship Program
- Course Guide
- Your Student Experience
- For Graduate Students
- Sophomore Initiative