LSA Internship Scholarships for Spring and Summer Academic Terms
The LSA Internship Scholarship for current students provides scholarships (up to $5000) to support internship experiences in the spring and summer terms to qualified LSA freshmen, sophomores and juniors who have demonstrated financial need as determined by the Office of Financial Aid.
Internships allow students to gain valuable experience in an interested field or career, develop marketable skills, resume building, and establish networks while earning credit or financial compensation.
Student applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be undergraduate enrolled in a degree program in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts. Students participating in an internship after graduation do not qualify, and students must be returning to U-M as an enrolled student in the fall term following the internship.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident (possess a green card).
- Must have completed at least one full academic year at the University of Michigan.
- Must apply for and receive need-based support through the Office of Financial Aid. LSA Internship Scholarships are not renewable.
Internship Positions must meet the following criteria:
- Internship must be 40 hours per week or full-time equivalent.
- Internship duration must be a minimum of six weeks.
- Internship location may be international or domestic.
- Internship may be paid or unpaid.
- Internship may be for credit or not-for-credit.
To complete the LSA Internship Scholarship application, student must submit the following by 5:00pm on Monday 3 March 2014:
- Essay responses explaining the internship position and how the opportutnity will impact and enhance the student's academic and professional goals.
- unofficial copy of U-M transcript.
- Record of work, volunteer and internship experiences.
- Budget of anticipated income and expenses during the internship experiences.
- Acceptance Letter from the internship employer or sponsor with a description of the internship position and duties. Please forward the Acceptance Letter as an email or attach a PDF version of a hard copy Acceptance Letter in an email to Elizabeth Pariano, LSA Internship Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students who do not have an acceptance letter at the time of applying for the LSA Internship Scholarship may submit their Acceptance Letter after the March 1st deadline, but students must submit their scholarship application (personal contact information, essay responses and budget) by the March 1st deadline. Acceptance letters must be received no later than April 14, 2014 in order for applicants to still be considered for an award. Eligible students who have submitted an application by the March 1st deadline and submit an acceptance letters after the April 14th due date will be considered for an internship scholarship on a first-come, first-served basis as funding allows.
The application for spring and/or summer 2014 internships will be available here in early January 2014.
After completion of the internship, the student must submit the following to complete the requirements of the LSA Internship Scholarship:
- LSA Internship Scholarship Recipients must provide information about their position and thank the LSA scholarship donors via a Formstack survey. The link to the survey will be emailed to students in the fall term after their spring/summer internship experience. This is a requirement for all LSA scholarship recipients and failure to complete the survey will result in a cancellation of the scholarship.
- The internship supervisor or sponsor must also submit an evaluation of the student's performance at the internship. Please use the document provided below and email the completed form to Elizabeth Pariano, LSA Internship Coordinator, at email@example.com by September 30, 2014. If completing the form electronically, please save the form to your computer first, then type in your answers, resave the document, and send as an email attachment.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Scholarship Requirements
- Current Students
- External Scholarship Opportunities
- Prospective Students
- Transfer Students
- Scholarship Service Program
- Scholarship Index
- Undergraduate Application
- Academics & Requirements
- Academic Advising
- Faculty Listings
- Transfer Information
- Study Abroad
- Michigan Learning Communities
- International Internship Program
- Course Guide
- Your Student Experience
- For Graduate Students
- Sophomore Initiative