How and when do I thank the donor of my scholarship?
- You will receive an email with a link and instructions to complete a donor thank you survey.
What if I want to study abroad?
- If you choose a study abroad program through the UM Center for Global and Intercultural Studies (CGIS), your scholarship can be used for expenses to cover the program. Please visit the CGIS website here for a complete list of study abroad programs available. If you choose a program not offered through CGIS, the scholarship cannot be used.
What if my GPA falls below the minimum requirement?
- You should call the LSA Scholarship Office at 734-763-9521 to set up an appointment with Doug Fletcher or Trisha Fountain to discuss your situation, or you may email them directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about the scholarship GPA requirement, please visit the Scholarship Requirements page located here.
What if I want to transfer to the Business School/College of Engineering/etc. Will my scholarship transfer?
- If you accept an LSA scholarship, it is only effective during the time you are enrolled in the College of LSA. Therefore, if you transfer to another school or college, you will no longer be eligible to receive an LSA Scholarship.
What happens to my LSA scholarship if I want a dual degree with another school or college at the University of Michigan?
- To continue to qualify for any LSA-based scholarship the student must be admitted to a dual degree program in LSA and the other school or college. Once a student is admitted into a Multiple Dependent Degree Program (MDDP, also known as a dual degree) the student is then eligible to receive or apply for a scholarship from the College of LSA. It should be noted that a minor in LSA is not a degree program and the student will not be eligible to apply for or to continue to receive an existing LSA scholarship.
- MDDP students who receive scholarships from the college of LSA must complete both degrees. If the LSA degree is not completed for any reason, the scholarship will be retroactively cancelled and the student will be billed for the full amount beginning from the first semester that the MDDP began. The student must repay the scholarship if an LSA degree is not conferred. Non-payment may result in a hold on the student’s diploma, or a block on the request for an official transcript until the amount due is paid.
- If a student is receiving a scholarship from LSA or has applied for a scholarship, the scholarship will not disburse (pay out), or be applied to the student’s financial aid package, until the dual degree status is official. “Planning to be” MDDP or “in the process of applying for MDDP” is not sufficient. The student must meet with their academic advisor and follow their recommendations about how to proceed with the MDDP application process. There are no exceptions to this requirement.
What accommodations are there to the scholarship requirements for students with disabilities?
- If a student has a disability and requires accommodations with any of the scholarship program requirements, please contact Doug Fletcher at email@example.com early in the semester to ensure the student’s needs may be appropriately met. When meeting with the Scholarship Office, the student will need to provide documentation of the disability from the University of Michigan Service for Students with Disabilities (SSWD) office. Their website can be found here: ssd.umich.edu.
What if I need to take time off from school?
- Students receiving 4-year scholarships from the College of LSA may choose not to enroll for an academic term while still retaining their LSA Scholarship. However, scholarships do not carry forward and scholarship eligibility for the term that the student is not enrolled will be forfeited. Scholarships are awarded for Fall and Winter terms and cannot be transferred to a Spring or Summer term. However, these restrictions do not apply to students who have taken a leave from school because of a medical condition.
If you will be withdrawing from classes for any reason, please contact the Scholarship Manager, Doug Fletcher via email at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
- Undergraduate Application
- Academics & Requirements
- Academic Advising in the College
- Course Selection & Scheduling
- Faculty and Their Specializations
- Study Abroad
- Transfer Information
- International Internship Program
- Michigan Learning Communities
- Course Guide
- For Graduate Students
- Your Student Experience
- Sophomore Initiative