Summer Internships for Graduating Peer Tutors and Minors in Writing
The Sweetland Center for Writing hires two graduating undergraduates who have completed one of the following: the Sweetland Peer Tutor Program or the Sweetland Minor in Writing to work as paid interns from mid-May through mid-August. Interns work 15-20 hours per week between 8am and 4:30pm, Monday-Friday, and earn $12/hour.
- Interns will work closely with each other and Sweetland staff and faculty on several writing center initiatives, which may include but are not limited to:
- Collaborating to develop Sweetland publicity;
- visiting courses and campus organizations to promote Sweetland services;
- gathering recent course information for approved FYWR transfer courses;
- collaborating on special projects for Sweetland’s website;
- creating and organizing online writing and tutoring resources;
- creating FAQs for various Sweetland programs; and
- other projects dependent on the interns’ specific interests and skills.
Some general office work, such as filing and making copies, may also be required.
Interns should possess excellent oral and written communication skills; be able to multitask and prioritize, think creatively, take initiative, and work both independently and collaboratively; and be proactive, innovative, organized, and intellectually curious.
Strong interest in composition studies and writing center work, good design sense, and new media skills are required. Experience conducting research and creating statistics are desired. Familiarity with some of the following preferred: Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Professional, Adobe Creative Suite, Google Apps, iMovie, Microsoft Excel, and CTools.
How to apply:
Interested graduating students should complete the following application, create one PDF that includes the application and your resume, and upload it to their drop box on the Sweetland Internship CTools site by 11:59pm, Monday, April 15, 2013.
Selected applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview. All applicants will be notified of our decisions by Friday, April 26, 2013.
- Schedule an Appointment
- Writing Workshop
- Peer Tutoring
- Online Writing Labs: OWL and SyncOWL
- Dissertation Writing Institute
- Fellows Seminar
- Sweetland-Rackham Workshops on Writing
- Dissertation Writing Groups
- Writing Resources & References
- Support for International Students
- Writing Prizes