Writing Workshop Policies and Procedures
- Undergraduate students: you may schedule one 30-minute appointment per week, with a limit of fifteen visits in a full term (seven in a half term), including walk-ins.
- Graduate students: you may schedule one 60-minute appointment per week, with a limit of seven visits in a full term (four in a half term), including walk-ins.
- Students who are non-native English speakers: you may schedule one 45-minute appointment per week with an ELI (English Language Institute) instructor during Fall and Winter terms.
- Appointments can be scheduled up to four days in advance. Please note that only one scheduled appointment per week is permitted, in order for Sweetland to help as many students as possible.
- You can also receive help on a walk-in basis if there are openings in the schedule and you have not reached your limit of visits.
- Undergraduates: Writing Workshop instructors can help with University of Michigan course writing assignments at any stage in the writing process. So that instructors may dedicate their limited time to helping students with their academic writing, personal materials - including graduate school application essays, personal statements, or resumes - cannot be reviewed. However, these personal materials may be taken to the Sweetland Peer Tutoring Centers.
- Graduates: Writing Workshop instructors can help with University of Michigan course writing assignments, dissertation chapters, conference papers, articles, grant proposals, and/or fellowship applications that are at any stage in the writing process.
- Although you may bring your laptop, Writing Workshop instructors also request a hard copy of the material being discussed.
- If you are seeking assistance with take-home exams, you must have your instructor forward permission to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 24 hours before your scheduled appointment. Sweetland appreciates your compliance with university standards for academic integrity.
- Please schedule, modify, and cancel your own appointments online. You may contact the Sweetland information desk at 734.764.0429 if you encounter technical difficulties with the scheduling system, or have questions about your appointment.
- If for any reason you need to modify or cancel an appointment, please do so at least 90 minutes prior to the appointment time. This allows Sweetland to assist as many students as possible. Thank you for your courtesy to our instructors and your fellow students!
- Please arrive in a timely manner. If you are more than 10 minutes late, you will lose your appointment. Arriving on time ensures that you and the instructor will have ample time to discuss your writing. Keep in mind: appointments do not run on "Michigan time."
- If you miss an appointment, you will be unable to schedule another appointment for one week. You will be notified via E-mail when this occurs. Although you won’t be able to make an appointment, you are still welcome to utilize Sweetland’s walk-in services.
- If you miss two appointments, you will be unable to schedule an appointment for the remainder of the semester; however, you may continue to use our services on a walk-in basis.
- If the Sweetland Center for Writing needs to cancel your appointment due to instructor illness, you will be notified by email as soon as possible. We will make every effort before canceling an appointment to reschedule the appointment with an alternative instructor at the same time as the original appointment.
Scheduling a Writing Workshop Appointment
If you have not read Sweetland's Writing Workshop policies, please do so before scheduling your first appointment.
- Visit Sweetland's Writing Workshop scheduling website.
- Select a schedule from the drop-down menu (note: if English is not your first language and you want to meet with an ELI Instructor, select the schedule that begins with “ELI”).
- If you have already registered this academic year, please type in your umich.edu email address and the password you created. If you have not registered, please see the “Online Registration” section below.
- You will be brought to the writing workshop schedule. Openings in the schedule will be identified by a white block. To advance one week, use the right arrow at the top right above the calendar labeled “next week.”
- Locate the day, time, and instructor you would like an appointment with. Click on the appropriate white block of time; a “New appointment” window will appear.
- Complete the applicable fields. Note: Appointments with ELI Instructors are 45-minutes and must be scheduled as three 15-minute appointments, even though the scheduled appointment time will appear as only 15 minutes.
- Click "Save" to make your appointment.
- You will receive an email confirmation of your appointment.
Please register once per academic year.
- Visit Sweetland’s Writing Workshop scheduling website (link available at the bottom of this page).
- Review the policies and procedures, then look below to select the “click here” link to register for an account.
- Register using your umich.edu email address and complete all questions on the registration form.
- Once all fields on the form have been entered, click "Register."
Though the waitlist feature does not automatically schedule an appointment for you, this feature does send an email notification when an appointment has been canceled on a given day. Simply click on the waitlist option below that day's schedule and enter your email address. When there is a cancellation, you will be notified via email. Then, you may schedule the appointment as usual. Other students on the waitlist will also receive an E-mail notification, and appointments will be scheduled on a first-come first-serve basis.
Please review the cancellation policies above.
- Visit Sweetland’s Writing Workshop scheduling website (available at the bottom of this page).
- Select the schedule from the drop-down menu on which you made your initial reservation.
- Navigate to the date on which your appointment was scheduled.
- Click on the yellow box which opens your reservation panel.
- If you need to make a change, edit the panel as necessary. Click “Save Changes.”
- If you need to cancel the appointment, select the "cancel" box at the bottom of the page. Then click "Save Changes."
- You will receive an email notification confirming the action.
- Schedule an Appointment
- Writing Workshop
- Peer Tutoring
- Online Writing Labs: OWL and SyncOWL
- Dissertation Writing Institute
- Fellows Seminar
- Sweetland-Rackham Workshops on Writing
- Dissertation Writing Groups
- Writing Resources & References
- Support for International Students
- Writing Prizes