Directed Peer Tutoring
This course helps students become effective peer writing consultants through practice, additional professional development opportunities, and dialogue around key concepts in writing center work. Students registered for the course (1, 2, or 3 credits) consult in the Peer Writing Center for between 2 and 10 hours per week (depending on the number of credits). In addition, they reflect on course material and on their experiences as consultants, by contributing to a class blog and by engaging in conversation with mentors and fellow consultants during class meetings. Students complete a capstone project that represents integration of their learning throughout the course.
Overarching Goal: To help students become effective writing tutors through practice and dialogue and to provide continued support for staff tutors who attend meetings for pay.
Goal: To provide an opportunity for students to tutor in the Peer Writing Center.
- Register for 1-3 credits of WRITING 301 and complete the practicum.
- Tutor up to 15 hours per week.
Goal: To provide an opportunity for ongoing discussions about and reflections on our tutoring experiences.
- Write reflections on their tutoring experiences.
- Be observed tutoring and have a one-on-one conversation about the tutorial.
- Lead and/or participate in discussions about tutoring.
- Learn to adapt their tutoring strategies to situations they encounter in tutorials.
Goal: To foster connections between 301 students and staff tutors.
- Mentor one another via small- and full-group discussions about tutorials.
- Demonstrate a sense of communal responsibility for Peer Writing Center work through clear communication, participation in outreach activities, etc.
- Participate in solving problems in the Peer Writing Center.
Goal: To engage 301 students in creating a capstone project.
- Develop a project that speaks to their experiences as tutors.
- Present their projects at weekly meetings.
- In-Person Writing Support
- Web-Based Writing Support
- International Student Support
- Writing Guides
- Peer Writing Consultant Program
- Writing Prizes