If you have about a week until your paper is due, the OWL might be for you. Simply submit your paper and questions and you’ll receive an email with written feedback from a peer writing consultant within a few days. If the OWL gets overloaded and we’re unable to help you with your writing, we’ll email you as soon as possible to invite you to use one of our other services. At especially busy times, it is possible that we may not notify you within 72 hours. If you don’t hear from us, please take advantage of our other services, especially our SyncOWL.
Before you OWL, you’ll need:
- Reasonable expectations: What one or two issues would you like the peer tutor to address?
- Your assignment sheet, writing prompt, and any guidelines you’ve been given for composition.
- An electronic copy of whatever you’re working on. You can submit whatever you’d like: a paper for a course, a personal statement, a cover letter, a blog post, a PowerPoint, a website, a poem, etc.
We have some OWL policies to keep things running smoothly:
- Submit early: OWL papers must be submitted at least 72 hours in advance of the due date. Consultations run on a first-come, first-served basis and will generally be completed within 48-72 hours, Sunday-Thursday, Fall and Winter terms only. If the OWL gets overloaded and we’re unable to help you with your writing, we’ll email you as soon as possible to invite you to please use one of our other services.
- Submit only once per week.
- Submit nothing longer than eight (8) pages, double-spaced.
- Make sure you’re allowed to submit a take-home exam. Peer Tutors cannot assist writers with take-home exams unless the instructor has given Sweetland written permission to provide assistance. Permission may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can’t be required to use OWL. Writers cannot be required to use our services and Peer Tutors won’t sign anything or provide evidence of your visit. This policy exists because peer tutoring works best when writers genuinely want to talk to tutors.
- Peer Tutors won’t edit your writing or do the work for you. You’ll be responsible for making all changes to your text.
If you have questions about the OWL, email OWLtutors@umich.edu for assistance.
Go to the OWL Intake Form and fill out form completely. Once you submit the form, you will receive an automatic confirmation page with detailed instructions on how to upload your document and share it with a Sweetland tutor.
If you have any difficulty accessing the OWL Intake form, make sure you’re logged into Google with your UMich email. If you still have difficulty, email email@example.com for assistance.