Camp FAQs

Here is a downloadable PDF of the Camp FAQs.

How do I register for Camp Explorations? +

How do I register for Camp Explorations?
Complete the registration forms.  You can mail, fax, email or deliver the forms to KidSport.  Unfortunately we do not have online registration at this time.  
Mail completed registration forms to: 

KidSport Summer Programs
3064 CCRB
401 Washtenaw Avenue
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2214

Fax: (734) 647-6375
Email
: kidsport@umich.edu

What does my child need to bring to Camp Explorations? +

We suggest that your child bring a backpack, water bottle, snack (peanut-free), sunscreen, bug spray and lunch* (non-refrigerated, non-microwavable, peanut-free).  Please remember that we do not allow nut products due to allergies.

* Your child only needs a lunch if he/she is enrolled all day.

What should my child not bring? +

We ask that all electronics, toys, food products containing nuts, books, etc. be left at home. Children staying for aftercare are allowed to read, but these items need to be kept in the coatroom during camp activities. Camp Explorations is not responsible for lost or broken toys, especially hand held video game systems or valuable trading cards! PLEASE leave these things at home.

How large are group sizes for Camp Explorations? +

Campers are placed in small groups by age and our counselor to camper ratio is 1:9 or less. If you want your child to be placed in a group with a friend, please note that on the registration form. We will try our best to accommodate these requests, but cannot guarantee them.

My child is enrolled in sessions all day, what do they do for lunch? +

Lunch will take place between 12:00-1:00pm. Your child will be supervised during the lunchtime.  
- Campers enrolled in Morning and Afternoon sessions eat lunch at the Museum.  
- Campers enrolled in Morning Sessions at KidSport, but afternoon sessions at Camp                 Explorations eat lunch at the Museum.
- Campers enrolled in any morning session and Outdoor Adventures eat lunch at the Museum.  
- Campers enrolled in morning sessions at Camp Explorations and afternoon sessions at                  KidSport eat lunch at KidSport.

Where do I pick up and drop off my child? +

Drop off and pick up are located in the back lot of the Museum (1109 Geddes Ave, Ann Arbor, MI 48109), right by the visitor parking spots.  Please be sure to always sign your child in and out. We will hand out parking passes on the first day of camp for the parking spaces behind the Museum.  
- If your child is attending Outdoor Adventures, they will also meet behind the Museum.  
- If your child is attending KidSport before Camp Explorations, you will drop them off at the         CCRB and pick them up behind the Museum.  
- If they are attending KidSport after Camp Explorations, you will drop them off behind the         Museum and pick them up from the CCRB.

What about Aftercare? +

Aftercare is held in the grassy area to the right when you enter the Museum’s back parking lot, near the corner of Washtenaw Avenue and Geddes Avenue. The cost for after care is $50 a week and is available between 4-6pm. If your child is not picked up by 6pm, a late fee of $10 per child for 15 minutes or portion thereof that you are late will be charged.

What if I need to drop my child off late? +

If you arrive after 8:30am for morning sessions or after 1:15pm for afternoon sessions, please come inside and drop your child off with the Camp Director in her office, room 1011 in the hallway between the Rotunda and the elevator (back entrance of museum).  If you know you will be arriving late, you can call us at (734) 647-6421.

What if I need to pick up my child early? +

If you need to pick up your child before camp ends, please come inside to the Camp Director’s office, Room 1011, in the hallway between the Rotunda and elevator (back entrance of the Museum).  Please let us know ahead of time, if you need to pick your child up early.

What should I do if my camper has allergies, medications or special needs? +

Please make sure you put this information on the registration forms.  Campers that have serious allergies that require emergency medication (epi-pen, asthma inhalers) will carry it with them.  Other medication must be given to Camp Staff and stored in the Camp Director’s Office.

What if there’s inclement weather? +

Camp will go on!  We will change our programs to stay indoors if need be.  Drop off and pick up will then be at the Museum loading dock, accessible from the same parking lot as the usual area.  Aftercare will be inside and there will be a counselor waiting at the loading dock.

Can I have someone else drop off or pick up my child? +

Yes, as long as his/her name is listed on your registration sheet. If the individual is not named on the sheet we will have to call the adult listed for pickup permission. This includes parents if they are not listed on the registration sheet.  If you need to add a name to the authorized persons pickup list, please call Camp Explorations at (734) 647-6421 or send an email to camp.explorations@umich.edu.

My child does not speak English well. Can they still come to camp? +

Of course!  We will try our best to keep your child engaged and learning while at Camp Explorations.  However, we are not able to provide interpreters for your child at camp.

Will the group be going on any field trips? +

We occasionally bring our group on walking field trips, but you will always be told well in advance.  On days that we are going on walking field trips we ask that your child wear comfortable shoes, weather appropriate clothing, and the Camp Explorations T-shirt.  We also suggest that your child bring a water bottle, backpack, bug spray, and sunscreen.

Will my child get to go to the Museum Store? +

On Friday, campers will be allowed to shop in our Museum Store. If you would like, please send money with them on Friday.  Many items are priced below $5.

What is your cancellation and refund policy? +

If you need to cancel your child’s registration for KidSport, Camp Explorations or Outdoor Adventures, you must notify the program your child is registered for by 8:00am the Monday he/she is scheduled to attend camp.  You will receive a full credit towards the program your child Is registered for.  Credits can only be used towards the camp you are cancelling out of.

What if I want to switch to a different week of camp after I have registered? +

A $10 processing fee will be assessed for any requested registration changes.  Please double-check your schedule and application before submitting your registration.