Collections :: Insect Division History
Original Museum Building (1918)
Workers laying the foundation for the new museums building. (1929)
A.G. Ruthven, Bryant Walker, F.M. Gaige, Calvin Goodrich (detail)
In 1929, the current Museums building was opened with great fanfare, and an improved facility was greatly appreciated by staff and curators. The period of 1929-1959 saw our collections grow at an astonishing rate due in part, to major acquisitions such as the E.B. Williamson Odonata Collection, The C.H. Kennedy Odonata Collection, and the major collectig trip taken by the various curators. T.H. Hubbell and Irving Cantrall collected enormous numbers of Orthoptera and other insects during these forays. The museum actively purchased some small but significant collections. For example, The Edwin Eddy Calder (1853-1929) Collection was acquired and transported by T.H. Hubbell from Rhode Island to the UMMZ. That particular collection contained important tiger beetle specimens from New England as well as world-wide representation of a popular group of Coleoptera.
Numerous expeditions conducted during this period obtained large collections from Mexico, South America, the western and southeastern United States, as well as from all over the Great Lakes region. Additional collections were obtained through gifts or exchanges which added to the Insect Division's depth in Southeast Asian material and broadened the general scope of the collection to include substantial collections of Palaearctic and African specimens as well. In the 1930's and 1940's, specimen acquisition concentrated on the Great Lakes fauna. However, several expeditions to the southwestern United States and Mexico also incorporated large collections, especially of Orthoptera and Odonata.