Distribution & Evolution
- 2010 Smith, G.R., C.E. Badgley, T.P. Eiting, P. Larson.. Species diversity gradients in relation to geological history in North American freshwater fishes. Evolutionary Ecology Research 12:693-726.
- 2010 Smith, G.R.. Guide to Great Lakes Fishes. Michigan Sea Grant and University of Michigan Press. 124 pp. Ann Arbor, MI.
- 2008 Smith, G.R., and T.E. Dowling Hydrography and phylogeography of speckled dace, Rhinichthys osculus, in the Colorado River drainage, p 301-317 in Reheis, M., and Hershler, R., eds. Geological Society of America Special Publication.
- 2008 Spencer, J.E., Smith, G.R., and Dowling, T.E.,, Middle to Late Cenozoic geology, hydrography, and fish evolution in the American Southwest, in Reheis, M., Hershler, R., and Miller, D., eds., Late Cenozoic Drainage History of the Southwestern Great Basin and Lower Colorado River Region: Geologic and Biotic Perspectives. Geological Society of America Special Paper 439: 279-299.
- 2007 Estabrook, G.F., G.R. Smith, T.E. Dowling Body Mass and Temperature Influence Evolutionary Rate of mtDNA in North American Cyprinidae Evolution (Download PDF)
- 2004 Bailey, R.M., W.C. Latta, and G.R. Smith An Atlas of Michigan fishes with keys and Illustrations for their Identification University of Michigan Museum of Zoology Miscellaneous Papers 192:1-215
- 2004 Smith, G.R. Hubbs and Lagler's Fishes of the Great Lakes Region Univ. Michigan Press. 275 pp, 32 plates
- 2002 Joukadar, Z., W. P. Patterson, T.N. Todd, G.R. Smith Oxygen isotopic studies of the life history of Coregonus artedii in the St. Maries River, Laurentian Great Lakes pp. 453-461, in T.N.
Todd and G. Fleischer (eds.) Biology and Management of Coregonid Fishes Arch. Hydrobiol., Spec. Issues Advances Limnol. Vol. 57
- 2002 Smith, G.R., T. Dowling, K.W. Gobalet, T. Lugaski, D. Shiazawa, and R.P. Evans Biogeography and timing of evolutionary events among Great Basin fishes< pp. 175-234, in R. Hershler, D.B. Madsen, and D.R. Currey, Great Basin
Aquatic Systems History Smithsonian Contributions to Earth Sciences, Number 33, 405 pp
- 2002 Dowling, T.E., C. A. Tibbets, W.L. Minckley, G.R. Smith Evolutionary relationships of the plagopterins (Teleostei: Cyprinidae) from Cytochrome B sequences Copeia 2002:665-678
- 2000 Lundberg, J.G., M. Kottelat, G.R. Smith, M. Stiassny, and T. Gill The Nature and Sources of Recent Ichthyological Discoveries in Fresh Water Ann. Missouri Botanical Gardens 87:26-62
- 1995 Smith, G.R., J. Rosenfield, and J. Porterfield Processes of origin and criteria for preservation of fish species, pp. 44-57 in Nielsen, J.L. (Ed.), Evolution and the Aquatic Ecosystem:
Defining Unique Units in Population Conservation American Fish. Soc. Symposium 17
- 1994 Burnham-Curtis, M.K., and G.R. Smith Osteological evidence of genetic divergence of lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush) in Lake Superior Copeia 1994(4):843-850
- 1993 Stearley, R.F., and G.R. Smith Phylogeny of the Pacific trouts and salmons (Oncorhynchus) and genera of the family Salmonidae Trans. Amer. Fish. Soc. 122(1):1-33
- 1992 Smith, G.R. Introgression in fishes: Significance for paleontology, cladistics, and evolutionary rates Syst. Biol. 41(1):41-57
- 1992 Smith, G.R., and T.N. Todd Morphological cladistic study of coregonine fishes pp. 479-490 in T.N. Todd and M. Luczynski (Eds.), Biology and Management of Coregonid Fishes
(Proceedings of the Fourth International Symposium) Polskie Archiwum Hydrobiologii 39(3-4)
- 1992 Todd, T.N., and G.R. Smith A review of differentiation in Great Lakes ciscoes pp. 261-267 in T.N. Todd and M. Luczynski (Eds.), Biology and Management of Coregonid Fishes
(Proceedings of the Fourth International Symposium), Polskie Archiwum Hydrobiologii 39(3-4)
- 1992 Smith, G.R. Phylogeny and biogeography of the Catostomidae, freshwater fishes of North America and Asia pp. 778-826 in R.L. Mayden (Ed.), Systematics, Historical Ecology, and
North American freshwater fishes Stanford Univ. Press, 969 pp
- 1992 Dowling, T.E., W.R. Hoeh, G.R. Smith, and W.M. Brown Evolutionary relationships of shiners in the genus Luxilus (Cyprinidae) as determined by analysis of mitochondrial DNA Copeia 1992(2):306-322
- 1989 Dowling, T.E., G.R. Smith, and W.M. Brown Reproductive isolation and introgression between Notropis cornutus and Notropis chrysocephalus (Family Cyprinidae):
Comparison of morphology, allozymes, and mitochondrial DNA Evolution 43(3):620-634
- 1989 Smith, G.R., and R.F. Stearley The classification and scientific names of rainbow and cutthroat trouts Fisheries 14(1):4-10
- 1985 Bookstein, F.L., B. Chernoff, R.L. Elder, J.M. Humphries, G.R. Smith, and R.E. Strauss Morphometrics in evolutionary biology:
The geometry of size and shape change with examples from fishes Acad. Nat. Sci. Philadelphia Spec. Publ. 15, 277 pp
- 1984 Smith, G.R., and T.N. Todd Evolution of species flocks of fishes in north temperate lakes pp. 45-68 in A. Echelle and I. Kornfield (Eds.), Evolution of Fish
Species Flocks Univ. Maine Orono Press, Orono, 257 pp.
- 1983 Smith, G.R., J.G. Hall, R.K. Koehn, and D.J. Innes Taxonomic relationships of the Zuni Mountain sucker, Catostomus discobolus yarrowi Copeia 1983(1):37-48
- 1983 Smith, G.R. Significance of hybridization in Chasmistes and Gila Trans. Bonneville Chapt. American Fish. Soc. 1983:1-8
- 1983 Smith, G.R. History of fishes of the Great Basin Trans. Bonneville Chapt. American Fish. Soc. 1983:212-215
- 1981 Smith, G.R., J.N. Taylor, and T.W. Grimshaw Ecological survey of fishes in the Raisin River drainage, Michigan Mich. Acad. 13(3):275-305
- 1981 Todd, T.N., G.R. Smith, and L.E. Cable Environmental and genetic contributions to morphological differentiation in ciscoes
(Coregoninae) of the Great Lakes Canadian J. Fish. Aquatic Sci. 38(1):59-67
- 1981 Smith, G.R. Effects of habitat size on species richness and adult body sizes of desert fishes pp. 125-171 in R.J. Naiman and D.L. Soltz (Eds.), Fishes in North
American Deserts John Wiley & Sons, New York, 552 pp
- 1981 Humphries, J.M., F.L. Bookstein, B. Chernoff, G.R. Smith, R.L. Elder, and S.G. Poss Multivariate discrimination by shape in relation to size Syst. Zool. 30(3):291-308
- 1981 Bailey, R.M., and G.R. Smith Origin and geography of the fish fauna of the Laurentian Great Lakes basin Canadian J. Fish. Aquatic Sci. 38(12):1539-1561
- 1980 Todd, T.N., and G.R. Smith Differentiation in Coregonus zenithicus in Lake Superior Canadian J. Fish. Aquatic Sci. 37(12):2228-2235
- 1979 Neff, N.A. and G.R. Smith Multivariate analysis of hybrid fishes Syst. Zool. 28:176-196
- 1979 Dunham, A. E., G.R. Smith, and J.N. Taylor Evidence for ecological character displacement in western American catostomid fishes Evolution 33(3):877-896
- 1979 Smith G.R., R.R. Miller, and W.D. Sable Species relationships among fishes of the genus Gila in the upper Colorado River Drainage pp. 613-623 in R.R. Linn (Ed.)
Proc. First Conf. Sci. Res. Nat. Parks. U.S. Dept. Interior, Washington, D.C.
- 1978 Smith, G.R Biogeography of intermountain fishes pp 17-42 in K.T. Harper, and J.L. Reveal (Eds.), Intermountain Biogeography: A Symposium Great Basin Natur. Mem. 2:1-268
- 1973 Smith, G.R. Analysis of several hybrid cyprinid fishes from western North America Copeia 1973(3):395-410
- 1972 Uyeno, T., and G.R. Smith Tetraploid origin of the karyotype of catostomid fishes Science 175:644-646
- 1971 Smith, G.R., and R.K. Koehn Phenetic and cladistic studies of biochemical and morphological characteristics of Catostomus Syst. Zool. 20(3):282-297
- 1970 Smith, G.R., and D.R. Fisher Factor analysis of distribution patterns of Kansas fishes, pp. 259-277 in J.K. Jones (Ed.), Pleistocene and
Recent environments of the central Great Plains Univ. Kansas Press, Lawrence
- 1966 Smith, G.R. Distribution and evolution of the North American catostomid fishes of the subgenus Pantosteus, genus Catostomus Univ. Michigan Mus. Zool. Misc. Publ. 129:1-132
- 1960 Gaufin, A.R., G.R. Smith, P. Dotson Aquatic survey of the Green River and tributaries within the Flaming Gorge Reservoir Basin pp. 140-162, in Ecological studies of the flora and fauna of Flaming
Gorge Reservoir basin, Utah and Wyoming, C.E. Dibble Ed. University of Utah Anthropological Papers No. 48
- 1960 Smith, G.R. Annotated checklist of the fishes of the Flaming Gorge Reservoir basin pp. 163-168 in Ecological studies of the flora and fauna of Flaming Gorge Reservoir basin, Utah and Wyoming, C.E. Dibble Ed.
University of Utah Anthropological Papers No. 48
- 1959 Smith, G.R. Annotated checklist of fishes of Glen Canyon, pp. 195-202, in Ecological studies of flora and fauna in Glen Canyon, C.E. Dibble Ed. University of Utah Anthropological Papers No. 40
- 1959 Smith, G.R., G. Musser, D.B. McDonald Aquatic survey tabulation pp. 177-194, in Ecological studies of flora and fauna in Glen Canyon, C.E. Dibble Ed. University of Utah Anthropological Papers No. 40