External Sources of Funding for Faculty

UROP gets many requests from sponsors regarding how they can continue to engage thier undergraduates in research after UROP.  The following are links to programs that may be of assistance in helping you continue to engage your students throughout their time at the University of Michigan and beyond.

UROP Summer Research Fellowships

UROP currently runs summer fellowship programs for students to conduct full-time summer research. Student proposals are due in January. The number of fellowships offered each varies given availability of external support.

Read more about UROP Summer Fellowship Programs.

National Science Foundation

The National Science Foundation Education and Human Resources Directorate provides funds to support undergraduate students on existing site awards. These supplements can be added to an active NSF research award. Detailed information can be found at: http://www.nsf.gov/dir/index.jsp?org=EHR

Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) provides funding to support involving undergraduate students in research through supplement or site awards. Supplements may be added to any active research award. Contact the cognizant program director for information. See Crosscutting Programs or the CISE/EIA pages for information on site awards. Educational Innovation supports the transfer of recent research into the undergraduate curriculum. See the CISE/EIA pages for additional information.

Combined Research-Curriculum Development (CRCD) is a joint program of the NSF Engineering Directorate (ENG) and the Computer and Information Science and Engineering Directorate (CISE). It is similar to Education Innovation, but targets upper division undergraduate and beginning graduate level curricula. It also expects involvement with industry. See the CRCD home pages.

The Course, Curriculum, and Laboratory Improvement (CCLI) supports proposals for undergraduate education. See the Division of Undergraduate Education (DUE) pages under the Directorate for Education and Human Resources.

National Institutes of Health

The National Institutes of Health offers supplemental grants to support underrepresented minority students or students with disabilities to work on NIH funded research projects. More information can be found at


In accordance with established Offices of Space Science policies, Principal Investigators on any OSS NASA Research Announcement (NRA) are strongly encouraged to submit an Education/Public Outreach (E/PO) proposal, which can include undergraduate research or innovative education projects. See http://science.hq.nasa.gov/research/guidelines.html for details.