Applications for 2013-2014 are available below. Please read all of the information here for important details.
Changing Gears is a UROP program designed specifically for community college transfer students who will be attending the University of Michigan in the Fall 2013 and are in need of an experience to supplement their academic experience and gain clarity on their academic, personal and future directions.
UROP’s Changing Gears Program provides participants with a hands-on research experience with a U-M faculty member who will provide the student with one-on-one mentorship, as well as professional support. While performing research, students will also take an academic course that will teach them the additional skills needed to become successful. Students and researchers become familiar with the University of Michigan campus.
The Changing Gears program is designed to:
1. Provide access to research opportunities on the University of Michigan campus to help students clarify academic and professional goals and interests.
2. Create a community of transfer students through biweekly seminars facilitated by former community college transfer students.
3. Develop student’s academic and research skills for successful transfer and retention through to graduation.
4. Introduce students to campus resources and opportunities.
5. Prepare students to apply for graduate and professional school, summer opportunities, etc.
6. Develop mentorship relationships with faculty members and UM students.
1. Conduct research 6-12 hours on average, per week, for the full academic year.
2. Attend biweekly research seminars that are interdisciplinary in focus and include guest speakers, field trips, and discussions designed to introduce students to research issues such as research methodology and research ethics.
3. Complete journal writing assignments, read assigned texts.
4. Develop an e-portfolio detailing the research the student is working on.
5. Meet with a UROP Peer Advisor at least once per month.
6. Present a poster at the annual Spring Research Symposium at the end of Winter Term.
Students can earn ONE of the following options:
1. Students can earn either 2-4 academic credits per term, based on the level of research effort. Students will register by permission for UROP credit upon being hired to a research project.
2. Students can earn work-study wages (if work-study is part of their financial aid package).
Please indicate in the comments section of question #10 in your application which option you are selecting.
Changing Gears is open to ANY transfer student coming to UM, however, the program's seminar components are specifically targeted to community college transfer students admitted to either the Fall 2013 or Winter 2014 and will have at least Sophomore standing their first semester here (however, priority may be given to Juniors if space becomes limited).
Please note, the following students are NOT ELIGIBLE for the Changing Gears Program:
- Students who have participated in UROP in the past including MRC students.
- Current UROP participants (i.e. you participated in UROP during Fall 2012-Winter 2013) who are freshmen or sophomores and wanting to continue with their projects for Fall 2013-Winter 2014 should apply to the Research Scholars Program and/or discuss ways to continue doing research with their research sponsors directly.
Priority is also given to students with no research experience, therefore students who have had previous research experience on the Ann Arbor campus (even though it may have not been through UROP) will be admitted to the "Traditional UROP Program" rather than the Changing Gears Program.
Applications for 2013-2014 are available below. Please read all of the information on this website page for important details.
To apply to Changing Gears please click on this link: Changing Gears Application
Please note: You will need to have your UM Uniqname and Kerberos password ready.
Application Timeline For Changing Gears Applicants:
Priority Application Deadline June 15th - Admission notices will be sent via e-mail by the end of June to students who applied by the priority deadline.
After June 15th- Rolling Admissions Process Starts (Students will be admitted based on a review of their application AND as space permits)
Registering for Seminar. Once admitted, instructions will be given for how to register for the seminar.
Questions regarding the program can be emailed to UROP at firstname.lastname@example.org Please be sure to include your name and UMID in any correspondence.