The Community Based Research Program is based on models of community participatory research that creates opportunities for students to conduct research projects initiated and identified by community-based organizations in southeastern Michigan. These immersive learning experiences enable students to connect course work and research skills in service to community organizations and the communities they serve. Students are paired with non-profits around the Metro-Detroit area to work for 10 weeks on a research project of need for their community organization. This fellowship provides the opportunity for students to gain experience with research and working with a community organization. The power of community-based research is that it allows students to see the direct impact their work can have on an organization and local community. As a result of working with non-profit organizations, students also leave the program with enhanced levels of civic engagement and awareness of community issues. In conjunction with the research placements, students in the CBR program also attend weekly seminars aimed at developing practical skills for working in a community setting and research skills (survey, participatory action, focus group facilitation, interviewing skills, qualitative and quantitative analytic methods). Finally, students engage in active reflection and online community building through weekly blog posts.
Applications due March 1, 2013 at 5pm!
Applicants will use this link to apply: CBRF Online Application.
When submitting your application online, please remember the following:
- Make sure you SAVE and EXIT from the application if you want to start the application and complete it at a different time.
- Click SUBMIT ONLY if application is completely finished. You will NOT be able to go back and make any changes once application is submitted. You can SUBMIT the application once.
Please contact Jenna Steiner, Community Based Research Fellowship Coordinator, at email@example.com or 734.615.7321 with any questions.
- Fall-Winter Programs
- Summer Programs
- Community Based Research Fellowship
- Biomedical & Life Sciences Summer Fellowship
- Semiconductor Research Corporation
- Humanities & Social Sciences Summer Fellowship
- Community College Summer Research Fellowship
- UM Energy Institute Fellowship Program
- Which Program Should I Apply For?
- Finding a Research Project
- Sample Projects
- Become a Peer Advisor