Community College Summer Research Fellowship

Application for Summer 2015 opens in December 2014.

Priority Deadline: Friday, February 20, 2015 at 5:00 PM

UROP Community College Summer Fellowship Progam (CCSFP)

The Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP) at the University of Michigan (UM), offers a 10 week paid Summer Research Fellowship for currently enrolled  Sophomore and Junior community college students interested in transferring to UM, Ann Arbor.

Research Projects are available in the following fields: Social Sciences, Humanities, Engineering, Health Sciences, Physical, or Natural and Environmental Sciences. 

The program is designed to:

1. Increase students' skills in their field of study.

2. Build close working student-mentor relationship with Faculty and Scholars at UM.

3. Gain familiarity with the University of Michigan campus resources.

4.  Learn about financial aid, application, and transfer procedures.

5. Students earn a stipend for their research work ranging from $2,000 to $3,500.

6. The program seeks to attract a diverse student population, including women and historically underrepresented students, first generation college students, and students from low-income backgrounds and veterans.

Students will work 25-40 hours per week depending on the research project and field. This fellowship runs from June 1, 2015 through August 7, 2015. Housing stipends are available for students who live outside of Wayne and Washtenaw counties.

CCSFP TimelineDates to Keep In Mind Before Applying

All application materials must be submitted online.  Transcripts should be sent to the UROP Office at the following address:

1190 Undergraduate Science Building
204 Washtenaw Ave
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2215

PRIORITY Deadline: Friday, February 20, 2015 by 5:00 p.m.   

Please include a header or footer and page numbers in all submitted documents. Your file should be saved as (first name, last name 2015).

CCSFP CompensationHow Much It Pays and What We Can & Can't Cover

Most fellows work 40 hours per week for 10 weeks and receive a $3,500 stipend. The hours and weeks are divided as follows:

• The first week is devoted completely to training with the remaining nine weeks devoted to conducting actual research with a faculty sponsor.
  • Every week there will be a UROP Seminar tentatively scheduled on Tuesdays from 3:00 - 5:00 pm which fellows are required to attend. The remaining 37 hours can be scheduled and coordinated between the fellow and faculty sponsor.
  • Taking the seminar and working hours into account, fellows are therefore required to work 40 hours a week for the full 10 weeks. Stipends will be prorated for fellows unable to complete the full 400 hours in the time allotted.

For fellows whose permanent residence is located 60 miles outside of the Ann Arbor Area, an additional housing stipend up to $1,000 may be awarded to assist in locating housing on campus based on need.

Due to parking restrictions, UROP is unable to cover on-campus parking for fellows. However, UROP will work with students to find accessible commuter parking lots and access to free public and university transportation.

CCSFP EligibilityWho Can & Should Apply

Applicants must have graduated from High School (or earned a GED) as of June 2014, and completed at least 18 credits (or 2 semesters) at the community college level by the time of the fellowship. Applications from students enrolled in Early College Programs and who are in Grade 13 may qualify and their eligibility will be reviewed on a case by case basis. 

Students applying should be one of the following:

• Students currently enrolled at any Michigan community college, who are interested in transferring to the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor in the future.
  • Students who are interested in transferring to the University of Michigan but have not applied are STRONGLY encouraged to apply. UROP will work with the student over the summer to put together an application for admission to the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. However, UROP cannot guarantee admission to the University.

Please note: If you are transferring to UM-Ann Arbor for Winter 2015, please contact us about our Changing Gears Program for transfer students.

CCSFP ApplicationRead This Information If You Want to Apply

Steps to Apply: PLEASE READ ALL THE INFORMATION BELOW BEFORE COMPLETING THE ONLINE APPLICATION. 

The UROP Community College Summer Research Fellowship 2015 Application 

1. Complete the Online Application: click here for the application link and follow all the instructions provided.

2. Materials and Information

Personal Statement 

The personal statement will be uploaded as part of the Online Application. The personal statement is a (500 word minimum, 1-3 page) essay and is your opportunity to showcase your skills and qualifications pertaining the fellowship and answer the following questions:

a. What are your academic and/or professional career goals? 
b. Why do you want to transfer to the University of Michigan- Ann Arbor? 
c. What experiences have you had that would make you stand out as a candidate for the program? 
d. In addition, your personal statement should describe:

• The type of research you would like to conduct and why (research field or topic).
  • What you hope to gain from participating in research.

e. Additionally, the personal statement gives you an opportunity to explain any potential hardships or drawbacks in other areas of your application.

We encourage applicants to review the Sample Projects section of the UROP website to get an idea of the types of research they will be able to conduct on our campus.

Resume 

You must submit a PDF file of your resume as part of your online application.

Transcripts 

Students who have Not applied to the University of Michigan: Please send official transcripts for Community College/other institutions and unofficial transcripts for High School/GED certification.

Students who have applied to the University of Michigan: Please send unofficial transcripts for both Community College and High School/GED.

Please mail transcripts to:

UROP – CCSFP Admissions Committee
1190 Undergraduate Science Building
204 Washtenaw Ave
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2215

Two Letters of Recommendation (online system)

To apply for this fellowship, you must obtain at least 2 recommendation letters and forms. We strongly recommend that letters of recommendation are from faculty members at your current institution who can speak specifically about your capability of doing research in your desired field. For example, if you are hoping to work in the biomedical sciences field, one of your letters should be from a faculty member who can talk specifically about your ability to do such research (e.g. biology professor). Recommendation letters could also be from anyone you have a professional relationship with (graduate student instructor, advisor, supervisor, personal reference, etc.).

The letters of recommendation must be submitted by the reviewers directly to the online recommendation application system. Applicants will be asked to provide the recommenders contact information when completing the online application. Each recommender will receive an automated email with the instructions to submit their recommendation (they will be asked to upload documents in Adobe PDF format). Applicants will receive an automated email when the recommendations are submitted by the reviewers.

CCSFP Application Process Checklist

CCSFP Application Process Checklist

Application Materials and Important Information:

All applications must be submitted via Online System (see application link).

Please note that Recommenders must send their letters of recommendation through the online system.  Only transcripts should be sent via US mail.

1. Online Application

• Demographics and  short essay answers
  • Personal Statement
  • Resume
  • Provide contact information and email for recommendation letters

2. Two Recommendation Letters (submitted directly by recommenders)

3. Transcripts: Community College/Other 2 or 4 year institutions and High School (or GED)

4. A header, footer and page numbers on all submitted documents. Your file should be saved as (First name, Last name, 2015).

5. Program Deadline: Friday, February 20, 2015 at 5:00 PM.

6. All application materials must be submitted online, only transcripts should be sent to the UROP Office:

UROP – CCSFP Admissions Committee
1190 Undergraduate Science Building
204 Washtenaw Ave
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2215

CCSFP Frequently Asked Questions

General FAQs

1. Is this a paid or unpaid summer fellowship? 

This is a paid summer fellowship.

Students earn a stipend for their research based on the following criteria

• Part Time (25 hours per week/ 250 hours total): $2,500 USD

• Full Time (40 hours per week/ 400 hours total): $3,500  USD

NOTE: Stipends will be prorated for fellows unable to complete the full 400 hours in the time allotted.

2. How long is the summer fellowship? 

The summer fellowship is 10 weeks long and runs from Monday, June 1, 2015 through Friday, August 7, 2015.

3. Is Housing provided?

Housing stipends are available for students who live outside of Wayne and Washtenaw counties.

Note: Due to parking restrictions, UROP is unable to cover on-campus parking for fellows. However, UROP will work with students to find accessible commuter parking lots and access to free public and university transportation.

4. What fields are available for the summer fellowship?
The research projects are available in the following fields:

Social Sciences

Humanities

Engineering

Health Sciences

Physical Sciences

Natural Sciences

Environmental Sciences

5. Can I switch my field of interest/research project once I get accepted? 

We highly recommend that you stay with your chosen field and the research topic that you initially indicated on your application.

6. Can I ask anyone to write my Two Letters of Recommendation?

No, your two letters of recommendation must be from a faculty member at your current institution who can speak specifically about your capability of doing research in your desired field or anyone you have a professional relationship with (graduate student instructor, advisor, supervisor, personal reference, etc.).

7. Will my application be late if my recommenders do not submit their letter of recommendation by Thursday, February 20, 2015 at 5:00 PM? 

No. Your recommenders have until Friday, February 28, 2015 to submit their letter of recommendation.

8. Can I take summer classes and do the summer fellowship?

Yes. However, we STRONGLY discourage you to take summer classes and do research because the summer fellowship and the program require a significant amount of time commitment.

9. Do I receive credit toward my degree at my community college for my summer fellowship? 

No. You will not receive credit toward your graduation degree at your community college.

10. If I am a dually enrolled High School senior at a community college, am I eligible to apply for the summer fellowship?

Yes, but you must have a minimum of 18 credits at your community college and the 18 credits cannot be applied to your high school graduation requirements.

11. If I am a community college transfer student who is already attending the University of Michigan, am I eligible to apply for the summer fellowship?

No, you are not eligible for the Community College Summer Fellowship. However, you are eligible to apply to other UROP Summer Programs at: http://www.lsa.umich.edu/urop/students/summerprograms.

CCSFP Contact InformationWho To Contact

For more information please contact: 

Program Manager, Mai Ze Vang - maizev@umich.edu 

UROP Associate Director, Catalina Ormsby - acormsby@umich.edu

Student Testimonials

"My decision to participate in the UROP Community College Summer Fellowship Program was the best I've made as an undergraduate student. More opportunities have been afforded to me during and after my research fellowship than I can count. The confidence I've acquired as a result of this program has pushed me to reach for goals I'd never dreamed of pursuing before, and the skills I've developed have helped me to achieve every one of them. There's no way I could adequately describe how fulfilling, enlightening, and downright fun UROP is--it's something one has to experience for themselves." Rich

“The CCSFP helped me gain the confidence that I needed to apply. It provided me with the information that I needed to transfer. I was given information about Financial Aid and what I needed to submit my application as well as assistance to do so. Mainly the laboratory experience it has allowed me to gain, has allowed me to apply what I have learned in school in the lab. The best part of all is the people that I work with in the lab, and without this program I would not have met them.” Fatou

“Participating in CCSFP this past summer was the best opportunity I had to prepare me for transferring to the University of Michigan. Being from a small community college, the thought of transferring to the University of Michigan was a bit daunting. But while in CCSFP I was able to familiarize myself with the campus and learn about various opportunities that would help me when applying to the university and now as I am transferring in. CCSFP was a great experience that I hope many future community college students will have the opportunity to participate in!” Stephanie