Community College Summer Research Fellowship

The online application for 2014 is now closed.

Priority Deadline: Friday, February 28, 5:00 PM

Applications were accepted through March 17 at 5:00 PM.

UROP Community College Summer Fellowship Progam (CCSFP)

UROP offers a 10 week summer research fellowship for currently enrolled community college students attending any community college in the State of Michigan and interested in transferring to the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor Campus in either the Fall 2014 or Winter 2015. Students should be interested in conducting research in any of the following fields: biomedical sciences, social sciences, humanities, engineering, or natural and environmental sciences.

The program is designed to:

1. Increase a student’s skills and knowledge in their chosen field of study.

2. Learn about current research in their field of interest.

3. Connect with a UM faculty mentor.

4. Gain familiarity with the University of Michigan campus and campus resources.

5. Learn about financial aid, application procedures, strategies, etc.

Students will be expected to work 25-40 hours per week depending on the research project and field.

This fellowship runs from the mandatory orientation on May 29th through August 8th. Students will receive a stipend ranging from $2000-$3500 depending on hours worked per week. Housing stipends are available for students who live outside of Wayne and Washtenaw counties.

The Michigan Community College Student Summer Fellowship Program seeks to attract a diverse student population, including women and historically underrepresented students, first generation college students, and students from socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds.

CCSFP TimelineDates to Keep In Mind Before Applying

Priority Application Deadline is Friday, February 28, 2014 at 5:00pm.

Applications submitted after February 28 and before March 15, 2014 will be reviewed on a rolling basis depending on the applicant pool.

Applicants will be notified via e-mail with admissions decisions before the end of April.

Admitted fellows will look for projects and conduct interviews with prospective faculty mentors in May, 2014.

Mandatory Orientation for admitted fellows will be May 29 - 30, 2014.

Admitted fellows will conduct their research June 2 - August 8th, 2014.

All Fellows are required to present their research via poster presentations during the UROP Summer Fellowship Symposium, tentatively scheduled for July 31st, 2014.

CCSFP CompensationHow Much It Pays and What We Can & Can't Cover

Most fellows work 40 hours per week for 10 weeks and receive a $3,500 stipend. The hours and weeks are divided as follows:

• The first week is devoted completely to training with the remaining nine weeks devoted to conducting actual research with a faculty sponsor.
  • Every week there will be a UROP Seminar tentatively scheduled on Tuesdays from 3-5pm which fellows are required to attend. The remaining 37 hours can be scheduled and coordinated between the fellow and faculty sponsor, as benefits the project.
  • Taking the seminar and working hours into account, fellows are therefore required to work 40 hours a week for the full 10 weeks. Stipends will be prorated for fellows unable to complete the full 400 hours in the time allotted.

For fellows whose permanent residence is located 60 miles outside of the Ann Arbor Area, an additional housing stipend up to $1,000 may be awarded to assist in locating housing on campus based on need.

Due to parking restrictions, UROP is unable to cover on-campus parking for fellows. However, UROP will work with students to find accessible commuter parking lots and access to free public and university transportation.

CCSFP EligibilityWho Can & Should Apply

Applicants must have graduated from High School (or earned a GED) as of June 2013, and completed at least 18 credits (or 2 semesters) at the community college level by the time of the fellowship. Applications from students enrolled in Early College Programs and who are in Grade 13 may qualify and their eligibility will be reviewed on a case by case basis. 

Students applying should be one of the following:

• A student currently enrolled at any Michigan community college, who plans on applying to transfer to the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor Campus within the next year OR
  • A student currently enrolled at any Michigan community college, who has been admitted to the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor Campus for Fall 2014.

Please Note:

• Students who are interested in transferring to the University of Michigan but who have not applied yet are STRONGLY encouraged to apply. UROP will then work with the student over the summer on putting together an application for admission to the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor campus. (However, UROP cannot guarantee admission to the University!)
  •  Students who have already been admitted to the University of Michigan- Ann Arbor Campus for Fall 2014 and who apply to CCSFP will have priority admission to our academic year program for UM transfer students Changing Gears.
  • Unfortunately, due to limited funding, Second Degree students (i.e. students who already have a Bachelor's degree or higher) are not able to be supported through this program.

CCSFP ApplicationRead This Information If You Want to Apply

Application Steps and Materials

The Online Application for 2014 is available now! Please read all the information below before completing the online application. 

The UROP Community College Summer Research Fellowship Application includes:

Steps to apply:

a. In order to Submit your Application, first you will need to set up a U-M Friend Account.

Click here for general UM Friend Account Info.

Click here for CCSFP Online Application!

b. Materials and Information:

- Biographical information

- Short answer essays

- Contact information for recommendations

- Research/Relevant experience

- Submission of Personal Statement and Resume (PDF format) – more information below.

Personal Statement (must be uploaded as PDF)

The personal statement will be uploaded as part of the On-line Application. The personal statement is a (500 word minimum, 1-3 page) essay and is your opportunity to showcase your skills and qualifications pertaining the fellowship and answer the following questions:

• What are your academic and/or professional career goals?
  • Why do you want to attend the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor?
  • What experiences have you had that you think we should know about that would make you stand out as a candidate for the program?
  • Describe the type of research you would like to conduct (in specific, what is your research field of interest).
  • Explain why you would like to conduct this type of research and what you hope to gain from participating in research.

Additionally, the personal statement gives you an opportunity to explain potential hardships or drawbacks in other areas of your application. We encourage applicants to review the Sample Projects section of the UROP website to get an idea of the types of research they will be able to conduct on our campus.

Resume (must be uploaded as a PDF during the online application process)

You must submit a PDF file of your resume as part of your online fellowship application.

2. Mailing of Official Transcripts: Applicants must also submit their Official Transcript(s) via U.S. mail directly from the community college/institutions they are attending (or attended) and high school transcripts. Please include the schedule of courses you are currently taking if your grades for the current semester won’t be available by the application deadline. If you have already applied to the University of Michigan Fall 2014, submitting an unofficial copy of your transcripts will be sufficient (please provide your U-M application identification number). 

Please mail transcripts to:

University of Michigan (UROP) -CCSFP

204 Washtenaw Avenue

1190 Undergraduate Science Building

Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2215

3. At least two Letters of Recommendation/Forms:

To apply for this fellowship, you must obtain at least 2 recommendation forms/letters. We strongly recommend that letters of recommendation are from faculty members at your current institution who can speak specifically about your capability of doing research in your desired field. For example, if you are hoping to work in the biomedical sciences field, one of your letters should be from a faculty member who can talk specifically about your ability to do such research (e.g. biology professor, chemistry professor, etc.). Recommendation letters could also be from anyone you have a professional relationship with (graduate student instructor, advisor, supervisor, personal reference, etc.). Each recommender must complete and submit the UROP CCSFP Recommendation Form directly. We strongly encourage recommenders to send a letter with more details if desired in addition to submitting the required Recommendation Form.

The link to the Recommendation Form is available here: PDF Form or Word Document. You can also access the file during the online application process. The recommendation forms and letters should be mailed to the address provided in the recommendation form or sent via email to UROP.info@umich.edu directly from the recommender.

PRIORITY DEADLINE: ALL FELLOWSHIP MATERIALS (online and other) SHOULD BE SUBMITTED BY 5:00pm on Friday, February 28, 2014 to be considered under the PRIORITY Deadline. Applications submitted after February 28 and before March 17, 2014 will be reviewed on a rolling basis.

Applicants will be notified via e-mail with admissions decisions before the end of April 2014. 

CCSFP Application Process Checklist

On-line Application Materials and other:

1. General Information: biographical information, short answer essays, contact information for recommendations, research experience summary (submitted online only)

2. Personal Statement  (PDF format online)

3. Resume (PDF format online)

4. 2 Recommendation Letters/Forms (original -directly from each recommender via mail, fax or email)

5. Official Transcript(s) (original from institutions –both any college level institutions attended and High School)

All application materials must be submitted online, and transcripts and recommendation forms should arrive at the UROP Office, 1190 Undergraduate Science Building, 204 Washtenaw Ave, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2215 by 5:00pm on Friday, February 28, 2014 to be considered under the PRIORITY Deadline.  Applications submitted after February 28 and before March 17, 2014 will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please include a header or footer and page numbers in all submitted documents. Your file should be saved as (first name, last name 2014).

CCSFP Contact InformationWho To Contact

If you have any questions regarding the application process or have problems submitting your application, please contact: Leticia Diaz (ladiaz@umich.edu), UROP Graduate Intern, or send a message with your inquiry to urop.info@umich.edu.  For general questions regarding the Community College Summer Research Fellowship Program, please contact Catalina Ormsby (acormsby@umich.edu), UROP Associate Director.

Student Testimonials

"My decision to participate in the UROP Community College Summer Fellowship Program was the best I've made as an undergraduate student. More opportunities have been afforded to me during and after my research fellowship than I can count. The confidence I've acquired as a result of this program has pushed me to reach for goals I'd never dreamed of pursuing before, and the skills I've developed have helped me to achieve every one of them. There's no way I could adequately describe how fulfilling, enlightening, and downright fun UROP is--it's something one has to experience for themselves." Rich

“The CCSFP helped me gain the confidence that I needed to apply. It provided me with the information that I needed to transfer. I was given information about Financial Aid and what I needed to submit my application as well as assistance to do so. Mainly the laboratory experience it has allowed me to gain, has allowed me to apply what I have learned in school in the lab. The best part of all is the people that I work with in the lab, and without this program I would not have met them.” Fatou

“Participating in CCSFP this past summer was the best opportunity I had to prepare me for transferring to the University of Michigan. Being from a small community college, the thought of transferring to the University of Michigan was a bit daunting. But while in CCSFP I was able to familiarize myself with the campus and learn about various opportunities that would help me when applying to the university and now as I am transferring in. CCSFP was a great experience that I hope many future community college students will have the opportunity to participate in!” Stephanie