Community College Summer Research Fellowship

Application for Summer 2015 opens in December 2014.

Priority Deadline: Friday, February 20, 5:00 PM

UROP Community College Summer Fellowship Progam (CCSFP)

The Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP) at the University of Michigan (UM), offers a 10 week paid Summer Research Fellowship for currently enrolled  Sophomore and Junior community college students interested in transferring to UM, Ann Arbor.

Research Projects are available in the following fields: Social Sciences, Humanities, Engineering, Health Sciences, Physical, or Natural and Environmental Sciences. 

The program is designed to:

1. Increase a student’s skills in their field of study.

2. Build a close working student-mentor relationship with Faculty and Scholars at UM.

3. Gain familiarity with the University of Michigan campus resources.

4.  Learn about financial aid, application, and transfer procedures.

5. Students earn a stipend for their research work ranging from $2,000 to $3,500 for the summer.

Students will work 25-40 hours per week depending on the research project and field. This fellowship runs from June 1 through August 7, 2015. Housing stipends are available for students who live outside of Wayne and Washtenaw counties.

The Michigan Community College Student Summer Fellowship Program seeks to attract a diverse student population, including women and historically underrepresented students, first generation college students, and students from low-income backgrounds and veterans.

CCSFP TimelineDates to Keep In Mind Before Applying

All application materials must be submitted online, and transcripts and recommendation forms should arrive at the UROP Office, 1190 Undergraduate Science Building, 204 Washtenaw Ave, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2215 by 5:00pm on Friday, February 20, 2014 to be considered under the PRIORITY Deadline.   Please include a header or footer and page numbers in all submitted documents. Your file should be saved as (first name, last name 2014).

CCSFP CompensationHow Much It Pays and What We Can & Can't Cover

Most fellows work 40 hours per week for 10 weeks and receive a $3,500 stipend. The hours and weeks are divided as follows:

• The first week is devoted completely to training with the remaining nine weeks devoted to conducting actual research with a faculty sponsor.
  • Every week there will be a UROP Seminar tentatively scheduled on Tuesdays from 3-5pm which fellows are required to attend. The remaining 37 hours can be scheduled and coordinated between the fellow and faculty sponsor, as benefits the project.
  • Taking the seminar and working hours into account, fellows are therefore required to work 40 hours a week for the full 10 weeks. Stipends will be prorated for fellows unable to complete the full 400 hours in the time allotted.

For fellows whose permanent residence is located 60 miles outside of the Ann Arbor Area, an additional housing stipend up to $1,000 may be awarded to assist in locating housing on campus based on need.

Due to parking restrictions, UROP is unable to cover on-campus parking for fellows. However, UROP will work with students to find accessible commuter parking lots and access to free public and university transportation.

CCSFP EligibilityWho Can & Should Apply

Applicants must have graduated from High School (or earned a GED) as of June 2014, and completed at least 18 credits (or 2 semesters) at the community college level by the time of the fellowship. Applications from students enrolled in Early College Programs and who are in Grade 13 may qualify and their eligibility will be reviewed on a case by case basis. 

Students applying should be one of the following:

• A student currently enrolled at any Michigan community college, who plans on applying to transfer to the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor Campus within the next year OR

Please Note:

• Students who are interested in transferring to the University of Michigan but who have not applied yet are STRONGLY encouraged to apply. UROP will then work with the student over the summer on putting together an application for admission to the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor campus. (However, UROP cannot guarantee admission to the University!)
  •  If you are transferring to UM-Ann Arbor for Winter 2015, please contact us for other opportunities for transfer students such as the Changing Gears Program.

CCSFP Contact InformationWho To Contact

For more information please contact: 

Program Manager, Mai Ze Vang - maizev@umich.edu 

UROP Associate Director, Catalina Ormsby - acormsby@umich.edu

Student Testimonials

"My decision to participate in the UROP Community College Summer Fellowship Program was the best I've made as an undergraduate student. More opportunities have been afforded to me during and after my research fellowship than I can count. The confidence I've acquired as a result of this program has pushed me to reach for goals I'd never dreamed of pursuing before, and the skills I've developed have helped me to achieve every one of them. There's no way I could adequately describe how fulfilling, enlightening, and downright fun UROP is--it's something one has to experience for themselves." Rich

“The CCSFP helped me gain the confidence that I needed to apply. It provided me with the information that I needed to transfer. I was given information about Financial Aid and what I needed to submit my application as well as assistance to do so. Mainly the laboratory experience it has allowed me to gain, has allowed me to apply what I have learned in school in the lab. The best part of all is the people that I work with in the lab, and without this program I would not have met them.” Fatou

“Participating in CCSFP this past summer was the best opportunity I had to prepare me for transferring to the University of Michigan. Being from a small community college, the thought of transferring to the University of Michigan was a bit daunting. But while in CCSFP I was able to familiarize myself with the campus and learn about various opportunities that would help me when applying to the university and now as I am transferring in. CCSFP was a great experience that I hope many future community college students will have the opportunity to participate in!” Stephanie