Community College Summer Research Fellowship

Application for Summer 2015 opens in December 2014.

Priority Deadline: Friday, February 20, 2014 at 5:00 PM

UROP Community College Summer Fellowship Progam (CCSFP)

The Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP) at the University of Michigan (UM), offers a 10 week paid Summer Research Fellowship for currently enrolled  Sophomore and Junior community college students interested in transferring to UM, Ann Arbor.

Research Projects are available in the following fields: Social Sciences, Humanities, Engineering, Health Sciences, Physical, or Natural and Environmental Sciences. 

The program is designed to:

1. Increase a student’s skills in their field of study.

2. Build a close working student-mentor relationship with Faculty and Scholars at UM.

3. Gain familiarity with the University of Michigan campus resources.

4.  Learn about financial aid, application, and transfer procedures.

5. Students earn a stipend for their research work ranging from $2,000 to $3,500 for the summer.

6. The program seeks to attract a diverse student population, including women and historically underrepresented students, first generation college students, and students from low-income backgrounds and veterans.

Students will work 25-40 hours per week depending on the research project and field. This fellowship runs from June 1 through August 7, 2015. Housing stipends are available for students who live outside of Wayne and Washtenaw counties.

CCSFP TimelineDates to Keep In Mind Before Applying

All application materials must be submitted online.  Transcripts should be sent to the UROP Office at the following address:

1190 Undergraduate Science Building
204 Washtenaw Ave
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2215

PRIORITY Deadline: Friday, February 20, 2014 by 5:00 p.m.   

Please include a header or footer and page numbers in all submitted documents. Your file should be saved as (first name, last name 2014).

CCSFP CompensationHow Much It Pays and What We Can & Can't Cover

Most fellows work 40 hours per week for 10 weeks and receive a $3,500 stipend. The hours and weeks are divided as follows:

• The first week is devoted completely to training with the remaining nine weeks devoted to conducting actual research with a faculty sponsor.
  • Every week there will be a UROP Seminar tentatively scheduled on Tuesdays from 3:00 - 5:00 pm which fellows are required to attend. The remaining 37 hours can be scheduled and coordinated between the fellow and faculty sponsor, as benefits the project.
  • Taking the seminar and working hours into account, fellows are therefore required to work 40 hours a week for the full 10 weeks. Stipends will be prorated for fellows unable to complete the full 400 hours in the time allotted.

For fellows whose permanent residence is located 60 miles outside of the Ann Arbor Area, an additional housing stipend up to $1,000 may be awarded to assist in locating housing on campus based on need.

Due to parking restrictions, UROP is unable to cover on-campus parking for fellows. However, UROP will work with students to find accessible commuter parking lots and access to free public and university transportation.

CCSFP EligibilityWho Can & Should Apply

Applicants must have graduated from High School (or earned a GED) as of June 2014, and completed at least 18 credits (or 2 semesters) at the community college level by the time of the fellowship. Applications from students enrolled in Early College Programs and who are in Grade 13 may qualify and their eligibility will be reviewed on a case by case basis. 

Students applying should be one of the following:

• A student currently enrolled at any Michigan community college, who plans on applying to transfer to the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor Campus within the next year
  • Students who are interested in transferring to the University of Michigan but who have not applied yet are STRONGLY encouraged to apply. UROP will then work with the student over the summer on putting together an application for admission to the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor campus. (However, UROP cannot guarantee admission to the University!)

Please note: If you are transferring to UM-Ann Arbor for Winter 2015, please contact us about our Changing Gears Program for transfer students.

CCSFP ApplicationRead This Information If You Want to Apply

Application Steps and Materials

PLEASE READ ALL THE INFORMATION BELOW BEFORE COMPLETING THE ONLINE APPLICATION. 

The UROP Community College Summer Research Fellowship Application includes:

Steps to apply:

1. Set up a U-M Friend Account.

Click here for general UM Friend Account Information.

2. Complete CCSFP Online Application.

3. Additional Materials and Information:

• Personal Statement

The personal statement will be uploaded as part of the On-line Application. The personal statement is a (500 word minimum, 1-3 page) essay and is your opportunity to showcase your skills and qualifications pertaining the fellowship and answer the following questions:

• What are your academic and/or professional career goals?
    • Why do you want to attend the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor?
    • What experiences have you had that you think we should know about that would make you stand out as a candidate for the program?
    • Describe the type of research you would like to conduct (in specific, what is your research field of interest).
    • Explain why you would like to conduct this type of research and what you hope to gain from participating in research.

Additionally, the personal statement gives you an opportunity to explain potential hardships or drawbacks in other areas of your application. We encourage applicants to review the Sample Projects section of the UROP website to get an idea of the types of research they will be able to conduct on our campus.

• Resume

You must submit a PDF file of your resume as part of your online fellowship application.

• Mailing of Official Transcripts 

Applicants must also submit their Official Transcript(s) via U.S. mail directly from the community college/institutions they are attending (or attended) and high school transcripts. Please include the schedule of courses you are currently taking if your grades for the current semester won’t be available by the application deadline. If you have already applied to the University of Michigan Fall 2014, submitting an unofficial copy of your transcripts will be sufficient (please provide your U-M application identification number). 

Please mail transcripts to:

UROP - CCSFP
204 Washtenaw Avenue
1190 Undergraduate Science Building
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2215

Two Letters of Recommendation and Forms

To apply for this fellowship, you must obtain at least 2 recommendation forms/letters. We strongly recommend that letters of recommendation are from faculty members at your current institution who can speak specifically about your capability of doing research in your desired field. For example, if you are hoping to work in the biomedical sciences field, one of your letters should be from a faculty member who can talk specifically about your ability to do such research (e.g. biology professor, chemistry professor, etc.). Recommendation letters could also be from anyone you have a professional relationship with (graduate student instructor, advisor, supervisor, personal reference, etc.). Each recommender must complete and submit the UROP CCSFP Recommendation Form directly. We strongly encourage recommenders to send a letter with more details if desired in addition to submitting the required Recommendation Form.

The link to the Recommendation Form is available here: PDF Form or Word Document. You can also access the file during the online application process. The recommendation forms and letters should be mailed to the address provided in the recommendation form or sent via email to UROP.info@umich.edu directly from the recommender.

Please submit all applications materials via email (in PDF format) or via hard copy submitted to the UROP Office. 

CCSFP Application Process Checklist

Application Materials and Important Information:

1. Online Application

2. Personal Statement  

3. Resume

4. Two Recommendation Letters and Forms 

5. Official Transcript(s) 

6. A header, footer and page numbers on all submitted documents. Your file should be saved as (first name, last name, 2014).

7. Priority Deadline: Friday, February 20, 2014 at 5:00 PM. Applications submitted after February 20 and before May 17, 2014 will be reviewed on a rolling basis.

8. All application materials must be submitted online, and transcripts should be sent to the UROP Office:

UROP - CCSFP
204 Washtenaw Ave, 1190 USB
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2215

CCSFP Contact InformationWho To Contact

For more information please contact: 

Program Manager, Mai Ze Vang - maizev@umich.edu 

UROP Associate Director, Catalina Ormsby - acormsby@umich.edu

Student Testimonials

"My decision to participate in the UROP Community College Summer Fellowship Program was the best I've made as an undergraduate student. More opportunities have been afforded to me during and after my research fellowship than I can count. The confidence I've acquired as a result of this program has pushed me to reach for goals I'd never dreamed of pursuing before, and the skills I've developed have helped me to achieve every one of them. There's no way I could adequately describe how fulfilling, enlightening, and downright fun UROP is--it's something one has to experience for themselves." Rich

“The CCSFP helped me gain the confidence that I needed to apply. It provided me with the information that I needed to transfer. I was given information about Financial Aid and what I needed to submit my application as well as assistance to do so. Mainly the laboratory experience it has allowed me to gain, has allowed me to apply what I have learned in school in the lab. The best part of all is the people that I work with in the lab, and without this program I would not have met them.” Fatou

“Participating in CCSFP this past summer was the best opportunity I had to prepare me for transferring to the University of Michigan. Being from a small community college, the thought of transferring to the University of Michigan was a bit daunting. But while in CCSFP I was able to familiarize myself with the campus and learn about various opportunities that would help me when applying to the university and now as I am transferring in. CCSFP was a great experience that I hope many future community college students will have the opportunity to participate in!” Stephanie