add contact to address book

Laura Herbert

Depictions of the state via allegory in 20th and 21st century Mexican melodrama with interests in the US-Mexico border, film, feminism, and Marxism.

• Fields of Study
    • Nationalism, Genre (particularly melograma and the Western), US and Mexio Border, Publishing Industry, Gender and Sexuality
  • About

I study the intersections between genre and nationalism in contemporary cultural production.  My work explores how genres, notably melodramas and westerns, once used to promote certain forms of nationalism are reshaped in a neoliberal paradigms.  I ask how these new articulations of genre relate to popular imaginings of the nation-state and our current economic configurations.

My case studies all relate to the US-Mexico border.  As a site that has long been used to imagine, contest and promote different nationalist sentiments, its current representations are essential to understanding how the nation-state and neoliberal economy are discursively constructed in the present moment.  My work spans a variety of formats, focusing at present on television shows and novels.

My graduate work has been generously funded by the Javits Fellowship (four years of tuition and a stipend), the Department of Spanish and Portuguese at the University of Michigan, the Rackham Graduate School at the University of Michigan and the Institute for Research on Women and Gender at the University of Michigan.

In addition to my scholarship, I am one of the founding members of Border Collective, a university sponsored workshop that offers an interdisciplinary forum for work on the US-Mexico border.  I also am a member of the translation collective Mareada Rosa.

• Education
    • B.A. in Spanish and History, The Ohio State University, 2007
      With honors and distinction
      Summa Cum Laude
      Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi
      Honors Thesis: The History of Argentine Jewish Youth under the 1976-1983 Dictatorship as Seen through Testimonial Literature
  • Awards
    • The Jacob K. Javits Fellowship
      2012 Community of Scholars Fellow, The Institute for Research on Women and Gender, The University of Michigan
      Colleges of the Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Research Scholarship, The Ohio State University, 2006 (research funding for archival work in Argentina)
      Research on Research Grant, the Digital Union, The Ohio State University, 2006
      Distinguished Merit Scholarship, The Ohio State University