- He currently heads a team project that aims to analyse the grammar and lexicon of all 20 Dogon languages over 10 years (2004-2014). The project website is www.dogonlanguages.org. Fieldwork on several undescribed Dogon languages, in collaboration with the late Stefan Elders and other linguists (2004-present, NEH, NSF).
- Research on Tamashek (Turaeg) language of Mali - three books published (1999-2002, NSF, NEH).
- Fieldwork on several Songhay languages of Mali - seven books published (chiefly 1990-1999, NSF, NEH).
- Several field projects on Moroccan Arabic and thereafter on Hassaniya Arabic of Mali - five books published (1979-1986, NSF, Fulbright).
- Center for Human Growth and Development
- College of Engineering
- College of Literature, Science, and the Arts
- Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy
- Institute for Research on Women and Gender
- Institute for Social Research
- Law School
- Medical School
- School of Art and Design
- School of Kinesiology
- School of Music, Theater and Dance
- School of Natural Resources and Environment
- School of Nursing
- School of Public Health
- School of Social Work
- Stephen M. Ross School of Business
- Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning